At CQUniversity, we are committed to equipping our students with real-world skills, up to date industry knowledge and networking opportunities before they graduate. Placements and internships play a crucial role in developing your employability and maximising your employment prospects.
Since its inception in 2015, CQUniversity's internship program has had a positive influence in what we do to deliver the best possible overall student experience for our international students, one that includes the opportunity to gain hands-on work experience during their studies. Our internships come at no additional cost, no extension to the course duration, and no GPA hurdle.
The other benefit is that we will find a suitable internship for you. Find out more by registering your interest.
- Student placements have grown by approximately 50% year on year.
- To date, approximately 980 international students have been placed.
- Placements are spread across the country: Brisbane, Melbourne, Rockhampton, Sydney and Perth, with new opportunities being explored in Cairns and regional Queensland.
- Students gain work experience in government, private sectors and the non-profit sector, with opportunities available in all organisation types from large multi-nationals to small family-owned business and innovative start-ups.
- Host organisations span engineering, IT and hospitality industries – from rail technology frontrunner to world leaders in data science and research, to eminent hotel chains and international aviation giants.
The growth we are seeing in enrolments in courses with internships are indicators that we are on the right path in terms of providing a platform for our students to gain invaluable work experience. The growth also shows that students are now beginning to place greater importance on the opportunity to gain experience during their studies.
Courses with internships
- CQ01 - Bachelor of Accounting
- CC57 - Master of Professional Accounting
- CL86 - Bachelor of Business
- CL97 - Master of Business Administration (Global)
- CL21 - Master of Business Management
- CC74 - Master of Management for Engineers
- CV84 - Master of Project Management
- CV82 - Master of Engineering
- CQ18 - Bachelor of Information Technology
- CC54 - Master of Information Technology
- CC53 - Master of Information Systems
- Working in an organisation in your area of study allows you to build networks in that field that may open doors for you in the future.
- Gain a competitive edge in the global job market and increase your chances of full-time employment once you graduate.
- Enhance and develop skills in teamwork, decision-making and communication while having the chance to put your academic knowledge into practice.
- Experience an understanding of Australian work practices and culture.
- The internship will give added value to your degree and at no extra cost.
- The internship is offered over a 10–12 week period. You will not be required to undertake any other units during this period, which means you will be able to concentrate on your internship and get the most from the experience.
- The duration of your degree is not extended, which means you can still complete your bachelor's degree in three years and your master's degree in two years.
- The internship is found for you by CQUniversity and our Internship Partners – market leaders in career development programs for international candidates.
- You will undertake the relevant prerequisite unit, which ensures you have the knowledge to succeed in an Australian working environment.
CQUniversity works with Internships Providers to source internships for eligible students.
Our providers have partnerships with thousands of host companies with opportunities to suit every discipline.
Previous host organisations have included:
- Asahi Australia
- Australian Grand Prix
- Bitzer Australia
- Bombardier Australia
- Daimler Mercedes Truck & Bus
- Endeavour Foundation Enterprises
- Finisar Australia
- Gold Coast Health
- Monash IVF
- PGH Bricks & Pavers
- QLD Tafe
- Racing Victoria
- Wallenius Wilhelmsen
- Wesley Mission
- Westkon Precast
- Winslow Constructors
- multiple city councils
- eminent hotel chains
- and more.
We've been lucky enough to host a number of CQUniversity IT students. Seeing the way the students' confidence grows and how they transform into highly contributing members of their project teams is a truly rewarding experience.
Our students are involved in a range of projects to develop the necessary skills across the project delivery process and to ensure they understand how all the pieces fit together.
It's a great way for students to forge strong networks with local industry professionals too.
I believe a professional internship should be a mandatory component of every university degree.
– Shona Robson, CIO, CyQIQ
Follow the appropriate Internship Planner for your Course, you must have completed all other units prior to the term of the internship.
- Attend one of the 'How to Apply' sessions, conducted by the CQUniversity Internships team.
- Interested students need to submit the Student Internship Agreement by week two of the term prior to your internship.
- Once applications are received, the CQUniversity will assess your eligibility and allocate eligible students to an Internship Provider. This will be based on location, field of study and personal preference.
- Students will receive an email with all the necessary information and will need to submit the required documentation to the Internship Providers.
- CQUniversity and the selected Internship Provider will search for companies in your preferred industry from a network of over 3000 organisations.
- The Internship Provider will contact an appropriate company, negotiate on your behalf and set up an interview.
- The Internship Provider will coach you and host mock interviews to get your interview skills on point.
- You must then complete an interview with the selected organisation to be successfully placed. Don't worry, if you don't get it right the first time you are given two more chances to secure a position.
- Your internship begins.
During the internship
- The Internship Provider will assign you a dedicated Internship Program Supervisor and a workplace mentor who will monitor your training and provide one-on-one guidance and support throughout the course.
- During the internship, CQUniversity staff and academics are there to support you. There will be regular check-in points, assessment workshops and assessment pieces, plus evaluation forms that you and your workplace supervisor need to complete.
- Once your internship is finished, you will need to complete the final assessment piece and present your final report. In some cases, your workplace mentor/supervisor will be asked to attend.