Bachelor of Public Health (Specialisation) - CC59

Become a leader in improving the health of communities and the wider population with the Bachelor of Public Health (Specialisation) at CQUniversity. Develop broad skills and knowledge in public health, whilst developing specialised expertise in the areas of environmental health, health promotion and nutrition. Benefit from the support of experienced public health lecturers and authentic work-integrated learning opportunities including 240 hours of practical placements to build a professional portfolio to graduate work-ready.


On Campus, Online


SR:60 ATAR:60




3 years full-time, 6 years part-time


Bundaberg, Cairns, Rockhampton, Townsville, Online


No prerequisites required


Senior English and a Science subject OR Associate Degree in Public Health OR relevant VET Certificate or Diploma

In this course you will develop a broad understanding of evidence-based strategies to address a range of health risks and achieve higher standards of health. With a strong emphasis on participation, prevention and partnership with the community, you will develop solid foundations of the socio-ecological model of public health. Enjoy the option to major in health promotion, environmental health or public health nutrition.

Health promotion major

In this major, you'll learn to initiate, manage and evaluate a health promotion project. You'll do this by applying relevant theoretical knowledge and strategies.

Environmental health major

You will learn to assess, monitor and evaluate environmental health issues. You'll gain skills to facilitate conflict resolution between agencies, regulated parties and communities. You'll do this by applying relevant law, provision of information and problem solving.

Public health nutrition major

You'll gain the skills and knowledge to develop, implement, coordinate and evaluate a range of food and nutrition interventions. This includes working with local, state, national and international government, non-government and community-based organisations.

Tailor your studies to your interests and career goals with a range of minors to choose from. Minor options include:

  • health promotion,
  • environmental health,
  • occupational health and safety,
  • nutrition,
  • environmental science,
  • built environment,
  • exercise science or
  • human resources management.

During your studies you will have the opportunity to complete practical placements in real-world settings, enabling you to further enhance your employability and put the skills and knowledge you obtain into practice.

Core Units 12 Major Units 8
Electives None Minor Units 4

Course structure

You are required to complete 24 units consisting of 12 core units, one eight-unit major and one four-unit minor.

Unit information

For information on the units, you could study as part of this course, visit the Handbook and select the "Course Structure" tab.

Credit transfer information

If you have already completed study relevant to the course you have enrolled in, you may be eligible for credit transfer.

Industry relevance

You will gain real insights and knowledge from a teaching team with recent and relevant experience in the many facets of public health

Our public health teaching team have industry experience having worked as health promotion officers, environmental health officers and public health nutritionists in Queensland Health, local government, not-for-profits and private industry. Throughout the course, you will hear from guest lecturers such as public health professionals from Queensland Health and Regional Councils, and key leaders in disease and response teams.

Benefit from authentic assessments that simulate professional activities, such as problem-solving, managing disease outbreaks, investigating foodborne disease, conducting needs assessments, and writing funding applications. Your assessments ensure that you graduate with a set of professional skills and have opportunities to practise them in a workplace practicum so that you are job-ready, with a portfolio of relevant work.

Real-world opportunities

In your final year, you will complete a 240-hour work placement where you will have opportunities to apply your knowledge of public health program planning and evaluation, whilst developing an understanding of the professional requirements of working as a public health, health promotion or environmental health specialist. You will be exposed to real projects and public health scenarios that build your experience, enhance your work readiness and allow you to develop valuable industry connections and networks.  

Your career in Public Health

CQUniversity’s Bachelor of Public Health will open the door to diverse careers across Australia and internationally.

Careers in Health Promotion

If you choose to study health promotion you will work with community, industry, business and government to educate people to make healthy choices. You will have the skills, knowledge and experience to work on projects and programs in a range of areas and settings such as infant feeding, maternal health, child health, chronic disease prevention, Aboriginal health, food supply, food security, or overseas development and more.

Careers in Public Health Nutrition

The nutrition major allows you to provide advice and guidance to organisations, private industry, community health groups and government about population-level issues in the field of nutrition. You will have the skills knowledge and experience to work on projects that help to write policy about nutrition in schools, food labelling, regulations relating to allergens and intolerances and work closely with health promotion professionals to improve health issues relating to diet, especially obesity and cardiovascular disease.

Careers in Environmental Health

As an environmental health graduate, you will be able to work in local, state and federal government, in overseas aid, the military (including the army and air force as an environmental health officer) as well as in private industry. You’ll work on projects related to the environmental impacts on human health such as safe drinking water, safe food, clean air, healthy housing, disaster management, areas impacted by changing environments, and settlement planning to improve health, to prevent injury and disease.

On-Campus Availability

Term 1 - 2023Bundaberg, Cairns, Rockhampton, Townsville
Term 2 - 2023Bundaberg, Cairns, Rockhampton, Townsville

Online Availability

Term 1 - 2023Available Online
Term 2 - 2023Available Online
Environmental Health8

The environmental health profession in New South Wales often includes significant duties relating to building surveying. Students considering working in this jurisdiction should consider the Built Environment minor when planning their study.

Health Promotion8

Public Health Nutrition8

Students majoring in Public Health Nutrition are required to enrol in the Health Promotion (Nutrition) Minor.

Built Environment4

Environmental Health4

Students will be required to attend compulsory residential schools for ENVH12001 Food Safety and ENVH13002 Environmental Health Risk Management.

Environmental Science4

Exercise Science4

Health Promotion4

Health Promotion (Nutrition students)4
Human Resource Management4

Indigenous Studies4
Liberal Studies4
Nutrition Science4

Occupational Health and Safety4

Unit NameCodeDescription
Public Health in Practice APBHL13003Placement in professional environment relevant to chosen major. Developing experience relevant to professional- specific activities/tasks. Planning and conducting a research project, nutrition project or health promotion program in the workplace.
Public Health in Practice BPBHL13004Placement in professional environment relevant to chosen major. Developing experience relevant to professional- specific activities/tasks. Planning and conducting a research project, nutrition project or health promotion program in the workplace.
As a requirement of EHA accreditation, Environmental Health students are required to attend residential school for a number of units in the course: PBHL12001 Communicable Diseases and Public Health; MBIO19012 Microbiology; ENVH12001 Food Safety; ENVH13002 Env Health Risk Management

Rank Threshold

 A rank threshold is the minimum competitive rank that applications will be considered for entry to this course.

The rank threshold for this course is: SR 60 | ATAR 60.0

Student profile

If you would like to know more about entry scores for applicants with recent secondary education and the student profile for this course view our Course and Entry Score Profile for Term 1, 2022.

Institute profile

To find out about CQUniversity's Undergraduate Profile for Term 1, 2022 view our Institute Profile.

COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement

The COVID-19 vaccination is mandatory to be eligible to attend a WIL placement for this course. Students will be required to provide evidence of having completed a COVID-19 vaccination schedule by the closing date prior to a WIL placement. The vaccine received must be a vaccine approved by the Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) of Australia.

Entry Requirements

English Language Proficiency Requirements

If you were not born in Australia, Canada, New Zealand, United Kingdom, Ireland, South Africa or United States of America, you are required to meet the English Language Proficiency requirements set by the University.

Applicants are required to provide evidence of completion of:

  • A secondary qualification (Year 11 and 12, or equivalent), or
  • An Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) diploma level qualification, or
  • Bachelor level qualification study for a period of at least 2 years fulltime with a minimum overall GPA 4.0

completed within Australia, Canada, New Zealand, United Kingdom, South Africa, Ireland, or United States of America, which will meet the English proficiency.

If you do not satisfy any of the above, you will need to undertake an English language proficiency test and achieve the following scores:

  • An International English Language Testing System (IELTS Academic) overall band score of at least 6.0 with a minimum 5.5 in each subset; or
  • Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) - Requires 550 or better overall and minimum TWE score of 4.5 (Paper Based Test), or 75 or better overall and no score less than 17 (Internet Based Test); or
  • Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic) - Requires an overall score of 54 with no sub-score less than 46; or
  • An Occupational English Test with Grades A or B only in each of the four components.

English test results remain valid for no more than two years between final examination date and the date of commencement of study, and must appear on a single result certificate.

If you are an international student, visit our international student information for more details.

Each student will be assessed individually.

Security Requirements

No requirements

Health Requirements

No requirements

Assumed Knowledge

Senior English and a Science subject OR Associate Degree in Public Health OR relevant VET Certificate or Diploma.

Completion of the Bachelor of Public Health (Specialisation) will prepare you to pursue employment opportunities in roles such as:

  • Environmental Health Officer
  • Health Promotion Officer
  • Public Health Nutritionist
  • Environmental Manager
  • Occupational health and safety roles (upon selection of appropriate minor).

2022 Indicative Fees
Fee TypeFees
Commonwealth Supported Place – Indicative First Year Fee$8,016.00

Indicative first-year fee

The fees listed are indicative only and based on enrolling in a full-time study load for one academic year (generally, this is eight units over two terms) for a Commonwealth Supported Place. Your actual fees may vary depending on the units you select and the number you study per term. Fees are reviewed annually and are subject to change. Understanding your fees

Commonwealth support and government assistance loans

Commonwealth Supported Places (CSPs) are subsidised by the Australian Government, meaning you are only required to pay the student contribution rather than full tuition fees if you meet eligibility requirements. If offered a CSP, you may be eligible for a HECS-HELP government loan. The Australian Government loan scheme HECS-HELP assists you in paying your student contributions. You can choose to defer part or all of your student contribution fees.  Learn more about paying for university

Other study costs

Part of your course costs includes Student Services and Amenities Fees (SSAF). There may also be additional costs as part of your studies such as textbooks, technology expenses, travel expenses, professional certifications, uniforms, or vaccinations. Other study costs

At CQUniversity, we believe University should be for everyone. No matter your situation, we know that everyone needs a helping hand from time to time and are proud to offer a wide range of scholarships, bursaries and stipends.
Our scholarships could help you pay for things like relocation, living on campus, laptops and technology, childcare, study and living expenses, travel and more. 

QueenslandONL: 851795; BDG: 811791; CNS: 821791; TVL: 801791; ROK: 851791
New South WalesONL: 160571
Western AustraliaONL: 150571
VictoriaONL: 1700110511

If you apply via a Tertiary Admissions Centre (TAC) listed under 'How to Apply', please use the relevant TAC code listed above to complete your application.

If you have decided what you would like to study and are ready to apply, we’re here to help you along the way. Before you apply, you will need to have a Unique Student Identifier (USI). If you do not have a USI, creating one is quick and easy. Simply visit to create one.

Want to know more about application dates and other admission information?
View our important dates information and read about other admission considerations such as information for domestic students with overseas qualifications, indigenous support, and elite athlete, coach and performer support.

What’s the best way to apply?

  • Option 1: Ideal for most situations, whether you have completed high school recently or some time ago.
  • Option 2: Ideal if you are studying with one of our partner study hubs.
  • Option 3: Ideal if you have previously studied with CQUni.

Option 1: Ideal for most situations, apply via a tertiary admission centre

View the table below for the best application option based on where you live.

If you live in Tertiary Admissions Centre (TAC)*
Queensland Apply via QTAC
New South Wales; Australian Capital Territory Apply via UAC
Victoria; Tasmania Apply via VTAC
South Australia; Northern Territory; Western Australia Apply via ApplyCQUNI

*Please note that you may be required to pay a fee when applying via a TAC.

Option 2: Want to study with one of our partner study hubs? Apply via ApplyCQUni

Benefit from local support, space, technology and facilities offered by one of our delivery partners.

If you are studying with: Study Support
Murray River Study Hub Access to local study facilities.


Option 3: If you have previously studied with CQUni, apply direct.

As a past CQUni student, you may be eligible to apply directly to CQUniversity for this course. To apply direct, your prior study with CQUni must be a completed or partially completed CQUni course or unit including:

  • CQUni’s Skills for Tertiary Entrance Preparatory Studies (STEPS), Tertiary Entrance Program (TEP), or Start Uni Now (SUN) units.
  • A CQUni certificate, diploma, advanced diploma, associate degree, bachelor degree, graduate certificate, graduate diploma, master or research higher degree, or a unit within these courses.
Apply direct

You need a degree to work in public health because there’s a lot of science involved in legislation.

Victoria Keevers

Bachelor of Public Health