Bachelor of Building Surveying and Certification (Honours) - CC61

Study the Bachelor of Building Surveying and Certification (Honours) and equip yourself with the skills needed to work in the Australian building industry – an industry that has recently seen significant growth due to factors such as a rising population.




SR:66 ATAR:66




6 years part-time




No pre-requisites required


English (Unit 3 and 4, C), General Mathematics or Mathematics Methods (Unit 3 and 4, C)

Completing the Bachelor of Building Surveying and Certification (Honours) prepares you to become a Building Surveyor and certify buildings of all classes in the residential and commercial sectors.

You will learn to evaluate and assess plans, conduct inspections, issue building permits such as occupancy permits and interpret building and construction regulations. This will enable you to advise clients of suitable industry practices once you enter the workforce. You will develop skills that are highly desired by employers and study areas including building legislation and auditing, fire safety design and inspection procedures, construction, building materials, services, professional practice and communication, and principles of sustainability. Gain practical industry knowledge as you learn directly from professionals working in building and construction, and on completion of the required units, you may be eligible to receive interim or exit awards.

You will benefit from the flexibility to study this course part-time and by online study and may choose to work in the industry and gain practical experience while studying to further enhance your employability.

Core Units 30 Major Units None
Electives None Minor Units None


You are required to complete a total of 30 core units.


For information on the units, you could study as part of this course, visit the Handbook and select the "Course Structure" tab.


If you have already completed study relevant to the course you have enrolled in, you may be eligible for credit transfer.

CQUniversity offers two distinct levels of building surveying study options. The Associate Degree of Building Surveying (CB99) teaches you how to assess building documentation for code and standards compliance and inspect staged works for domestic and residential buildings including Class 1 and 10 buildings, not exceeding two stories in height and a total floor area of 500 square metres, as defined by the Building Code of Australia (BCA).

Our Bachelor of Building Surveying and Certification (Honours) (CC61) qualifies you to certify buildings of all classes in the residential and commercial sectors. Assess building documentation for codes and standards compliance, and inspect staged works on all classes of buildings, as defined by the Building Code of Australia (BCA).

These courses are available to study part-time and online making them ideal if you are seeking the flexibility to work in the industry while you study. There are no residential schools for these courses.

A building surveying course at CQUniversity provides an ideal pathway towards a career as a building surveyor.

As a building surveyor, you will interpret and enforce laws and regulations controlling building and construction and find jobs with federal, state and local government departments and authorities, private certification practices, and building industry licensing boards.

The Australian Institute of Building Surveyors regularly reviews our building surveying courses for industry compliance, and this ensures that you graduate with relevant skills and knowledge.

Online Availability

Term 1 - 2022Available Online
Term 2 - 2022Available Online
Majors and minors are not applicable to this course.
Work-integrated learning does not apply to this course.
This course has no residential schools.

Rank Threshold

A rank threshold is the minimum competitive rank that applications will be considered for entry to this course. 

The rank threshold for this course is: SR 66 | ATAR 66.0

Student Profile
If you would like to know more about entry scores for applicants with recent secondary education and the student profile for this course view our Course and Entry Score Profile for Term 1, 2021.

Institute Profile
To find out about CQUniversity's Undergraduate Profile for Term 1, 2021 view our Institute Profile.

English Language Proficiency Requirements

If you were not born in Australia, Canada, New Zealand, United Kingdom, Ireland, South Africa or United States of America, you are required to meet the English Language Proficiency requirements set by the University.

Applicants are required to provide evidence of completion of:

  • A secondary qualification (Year 11 and 12, or equivalent), or
  • An Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) diploma level qualification, or
  • Bachelor level qualification study for a period of at least 2 years fulltime with a minimum overall GPA 4.0

completed within Australia, Canada, New Zealand, United Kingdom, South Africa, Ireland, or United States of America, which will meet the English proficiency.

If you do not satisfy any of the above, you will need to undertake an English language proficiency test and achieve the following scores:

  • An International English Language Testing System (IELTS Academic) overall band score of at least 6.0 with a minimum 5.5 in each subset; or
  • Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) - Requires 550 or better overall and minimum TWE score of 4.5 (Paper Based Test), or 75 or better overall and no score less than 17 (Internet Based Test); or
  • Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic) - Requires an overall score of 54 with no sub-score less than 46; or
  • An Occupational English Test with Grades A or B only in each of the four components.

English test results remain valid for no more than two years between final examination date and the date of commencement of study, and must appear on a single result certificate.

International Students should visit for further information.

Each student will be assessed individually.

Security Requirements

No information available at this time.

Health Requirements

No information available at this time.

Assumed Knowledge

Assumed Knowledge- English (4, SA), and Maths A or B (4, SA) [Queensland level or its interstate equivalent]

Building Surveyors interpret and enforce laws and regulations controlling building and construction. Upon completion of the Bachelor of Building Surveying and Certification (Honours) you will be able to pursue employment opportunities within:

  • federal, state and local government departments and authorities
  • private certification practices
  • building industry licensing boards.

The Australian Institute of Building Surveyors regularly review for industry compliance the building surveying course.

Fee Category Commonwealth Supported Place
What is a Commonwealth Supported Place? A Commonwealth Supported Place is subsidised by the Government so that you are only required to pay a Student Contribution amount rather than tuition fees.
Am I eligible for a Commonwealth Supported Place? You are eligible to be Commonwealth supported if you are:
  • an Australian citizen who will undertake in Australia at least one unit of study that contributes to the requirements of your course; or
  • a New Zealand citizen who will be resident in Australia for the duration of your unit of study; or
  • the holder of a permanent visa, including a permanent humanitarian visa, who will be resident in Australia for the duration of your unit of study.

If you are not eligible for a Commonwealth Supported Place you will be required to pay tuition fees. Find out more about tuition fees or fees for international students.

Fee Type Student Contribution
What is a Student contribution? As a Commonwealth supported student, you will contribute towards the cost of your education by paying a Student Contribution. The Student Contribution is calculated for each term of enrolment based on the individual units you have enrolled in, not the course you are studying.
What is my Student Contribution?

Your Student Contribution fee is charged per unit of study and is dependent on the Student Contribution Band for each unit. Student Contribution Bands are categorised by study disciplines and help provide an estimate of course fees.

The majority of units within this course fall within Band 2. Some units may fall within Band 1, 3 and/or 4.

Student Contribution amounts for each band provide an estimate of the cost of your course. Your course may consist of units from more than one band so your fees could vary from the indicated amount as units are spread across a number of bands.

You can view fees specific to the course, and units, you are interested in studying by using our Cost Per Unit table.

HECS-HELP and payment options

HECS-HELP is the loan scheme provided by the Australian Government to help eligible Commonwealth supported students pay their student contributions through a loan. Eligible students can use a HECS-HELP loan to pay for all or some of their Student Contribution amount. If you elect to use a HECS-HELP loan, this means that you will defer payment of your Student Contribution amount and repay your HECS-HELP loan when your income is above the compulsory repayment threshold.

If you are not eligible for a HECS-HELP loan, or you are required to pay your Student Contribution upfront, you will need to pay your fees no later than the census date for the term in which you are studying.

Other Fees You will also incur a Student Services and Amenities Fee.
Other study costs You may have other study costs such as travel expenses related to residential schools or work placements if they are a requirement of your course. There are also textbooks, stationery and other sundry costs associated with studying.

At CQUniversity, we believe University should be for everyone. No matter your situation, we know that everyone needs a helping hand from time to time and are proud to offer a wide range of scholarships and awards programs.
Our scholarships could help you pay for some or all of your course fees, or even contribute towards your living and study expenses.

New South WalesONL: 160251
QueenslandONL: 851365
VictoriaONL: 1700110411 
Western AustraliaONL: 150251
South AustraliaONL: 5C4016

If you apply via a Tertiary Admissions Centre (TAC) listed under 'How to Apply', please use the relevant TAC code listed above to complete your application.

If you have decided what you would like to study and are ready to apply, we’re here to help you along the way.

Want to know more about application dates and other admission information?
View our important dates information and read about other admission considerations such as information for domestic students with overseas qualifications, indigenous support, and elite athlete, coach and performer support.

What’s the best way to apply?

  • Option 1: Ideal for most situations, whether you have completed high school recently or some time ago.
  • Option 2: Ideal if you are studying with one of our partner study hubs.
  • Option 3: Ideal if you have previously studied with CQUni.

Option 1: Ideal for most situations, apply via a tertiary admission centre
View the table below for the best application option based on where you live.

If you live in Tertiary Admissions Centre (TAC)*
Queensland Apply via QTAC
New South Wales; Australian Capital Territory Apply via UAC
Victoria; Tasmania Apply via VTAC

South Australia; Northern Territory Apply via SATAC
Western Australia Apply via ApplyCQUNI

*Please note that you may be required to pay a fee when applying via a TAC.

Option 2: Want to study with one of our partner study hubs? Apply via ApplyCQUni
Benefit from local support, space, technology and facilities offered by one of our delivery partners.

If you are studying with: Study Support
Murray River Study Hub Access to local study facilities.


Option 3: If you have previously studied with CQUni, apply direct.
As a past CQUni student, you may be eligible to apply directly to CQUniversity for this course. To apply direct, your prior study with CQUni must be a completed or partially completed CQUni course or unit including:

  • CQUni’s Skills for Tertiary Entrance Preparatory Studies (STEPS), Tertiary Entrance Program (TEP), or Start Uni Now (SUN) units.
  • A CQUni certificate, diploma, advanced diploma, associate degree, bachelor degree, graduate certificate, graduate diploma, master or research higher degree, or a unit within these courses.
Apply direct



I started studying town planning and it wasn’t really the right fit. I wanted a job that allows me to get out every day, to go onsite and see how things are physically going, as well as doing the theory and paperwork side.

Beatrix King

Bachelor of Building Surveying and Certification (Honours)