Graduate Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety
|Duration||1 year full-time, 2 years part-time|
|Next start term||Term 1, 2024|
Build your skills and advance your occupational health and safety paraprofessional career with our Graduate Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety.
Through your studies, you'll build your skills in identifying, assessing, and controlling health and safety hazards in the workplace. Your skills and knowledge in consultation and communication processes will grow, and you'll learn about implementing effective prevention and control programs in the workplace. You'll also explore education and information programs to promote a safe and healthy workforce.
You'll build relevant and transferable skills, such as critical thinking and problem-solving. These skills, along with the knowledge of OHS principles and practices you gain, ensure you graduate ready for your next career move.
This degree provides a seamless pathway into our Graduate Diploma of Occupational Health and Safety, allowing you to build your skills further.
- Flexible Online Study
- Seamless Pathways
- Authentic Learning Experiences
This course will enhance your career advancement opportunities as para-professionals in OHS. As a graduate of this course, you'll be equipped with valuable OHS skills relevant, and transferable to a broad range of industries.
Structure & Availability
You are required to complete four core units.
For information on the units you could study as part of this course, visit the Handbook and select the "Course Structure" tab.
Credit transfer information
If you have already completed study relevant to the course you have enrolled in, you may be eligible for credit transfer.
|Term 1, 2024||Available Online|
Majors and minors are not applicable to this course.
This course has no residential schools.
To be eligible for entry into this course, applicants must demonstrate one of the following:
- A completed Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) equivalent Bachelor degree, or higher equivalent qualification; or
- A completed AQF equivalent Diploma in Occupational Health and Safety and a minimum of three years employment experience* in a safety science related role; or
- A minimum of five years management employment experience* in a safety science related role.
* Employment experience must be shown in a letter of employment which is presented on a company letterhead as well as signed and dated by a delegated authority. The letter must contain position title, duties performed and length of service.
English Language Proficiency Requirements:
If you were not born in Australia, Canada, New Zealand, United Kingdom, Ireland, South Africa or United States of America, you are required to meet the English Language Proficiency requirements set by the University. Applicants are required to provide evidence of completion of:
- A secondary qualification (Year 11 and 12, or equivalent), or
- An Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) diploma level qualification, or
- Bachelor level qualification study for a period of at least 2 years full time with a minimum overall GPA 4.0
completed within Australia, Canada, New Zealand, United Kingdom, South Africa, Ireland or United States of America, which will meet the English proficiency.
If you do not satisfy any of the above, you will need to undertake an English language proficiency test and achieve the following scores:
- An International English Language Testing System (IELTS Academic) overall band score of at least 6.0 with a minimum 5.5 in each subset; or
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) - Requires 550 or better overall and minimum TWE score of 4.5 (Paper Based Test), or 75 or better overall and no score less than 17 (Internet Based Test); or
- Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic) - Requires an overall score of 54 with no sub-score less than 46; or
- An Occupational English test with Grades A or B only in each of the four components.
English test results remain valid for no more than two years between final examination date and the date of commencement of study, and must appear on a single result certificate.
International Students should visit http://www.cqu.edu.au/international for further information
Each student will be assessed individually.
Fees & Scholarships
Indicative first-year fee
Indicative first-year fees for 2024 fees will be available soon. If you'd like to know more about fees, explore our understanding your fees information.
Government assistance loans
You may be eligible for a HELP Loan, an Australian Government loan scheme that helps eligible students pay their tuition fees. Learn more about paying for university or view the HELP Loan information on the Australian Government’s Study Assist website.
Other study costs
Part of your course costs includes Student Services and Amenities Fees (SSAF). There may also be additional costs as part of your studies, such as textbooks, technology expenses, travel expenses, professional certifications, uniforms, or vaccinations. Explore other study costs.
At CQUniversity, we believe higher education should be for everyone. No matter your situation, we know that everyone needs a helping hand from time to time, and we are proud to offer a wide range of scholarships, bursaries and stipends.
Our scholarships could help you pay for things like relocation, living on campus, laptops and technology, childcare, study and living expenses, travel and more.
How to apply
If you have decided what you would like to study and are ready to apply, we’re here to help you along the way. Before you apply, you will need to have a Unique Student Identifier (USI). If you do not have a USI, creating one is quick and easy. Simply visit usi.gov.au to create one.
Want to know more about application dates and other admission information?
View our important dates information and read about other admission considerations such as information for domestic students with overseas qualifications, indigenous support, and elite athlete, coach and performer support.
APPLY DIRECTLY TO CQUNIVERSITY
To apply for this course, submit your application directly to CQUniversity using the Apply button below.