Graduate Diploma of Occupational Health and Safety
|Duration||1 year full-time, 2 years part-time|
|Next start term||Term 1, 2024|
Play a pivotal role in workplace safety with the Graduate Diploma of Occupational Health and Safety (OHS). Designed in consultation with industry and embedding project-based and authentic learning experiences, this course will prepare you to work in industry and community services in advanced aspects of occupational health and safety.
In the Graduate Diploma of Occupational, Health and Safety (OHS) you will undertake core subjects in the areas of human factors, occupational health, risk management, occupational hygiene, OHS law, safety systems and accident phenomenology. This will see you enhancing your career advancement opportunities as specialist being highly employable in your field of expertise across both the private and public sectors as a safety professional.
On completion of the course, you will be able to:
- identify and anticipate health and safety hazards in the workplace and recommend a systematic approach for their assessment and control
- utilise knowledge from specialised disciplines in the application of effective prevention and control programs in the workplace
- demonstrate effective consultation and communication processes in ways that make appropriate use of managerial and industrial frameworks and the social context of the workplace
- analyse the implications of political, economic, social, cultural, and technological trends on workplace health and safety practices
- implement education and information programs to promote a safe and healthy workforce.
As a student of this course you will have the opportunity to gain crucial lifelong learning and transferable generic skills, such as critical thinking, and problem-solving. You will be able to apply these skills to a range of employment opportunities and life situations to complement your disciplinary base. As a student completing the Graduate Diploma of OHS you may apply for the interim award - Graduate Certificate in Fatigue Risk Management.
In the Graduate Diploma of OHS, you will undertake core subjects in the areas of human factors, occupational health, risk management, occupational hygiene, OHS law, safety systems and accident phenomenology. This will you enhancing your career advancement opportunities as a specialist being highly employable in your field of expertise across both the private and public sectors as a safety professional.
Structure & Availability
Course structureYou are required to complete six core units.
For information on the units, you could study as part of this course, visit the Handbook and select the "Course Structure" tab.
Credit transfer informationIf you have already completed study relevant to the course you have enrolled in, you may be eligible for credit transfer.
|Term 1, 2024||Available Online|
|Term 2, 2024||Available Online|
You are required to complete six core units.
Students who would like to join this course but have not attended university level studies previously and do not feel confident in their academic skills may benefit from enrolling in one of the CQUniversity bridging courses such as STEPS to prepare for their studies. Students who have not studied at university previously are also recommended to enrol in GOAS "Getting Optimistic About Study" a free unit which provides additional study skills support.
To be eligible for entry into this course, applicants must demonstrate one of the following:
- A completed Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) equivalent Bachelor degree, or higher equivalent qualification; or
- A completed AQF equivalent Diploma in Occupational Health and Safety and a minimum of three years employment experience* in a safety science related role; or
- A minimum of five years management employment experience* in a safety science related role.
* Employment experience must be shown in a letter of employment which is presented on a company letterhead as well as signed and dated by a delegated authority. The letter must contain position title, duties performed and length of service.
English Language Proficiency Requirements:
If you were not born in Australia, Canada, New Zealand, United Kingdom, Ireland, South Africa or United States of America, you are required to meet the English Language Proficiency requirements set by the University. Applicants are required to provide evidence of completion of:
- A secondary qualification (Year 11 and 12, or equivalent), or
- An Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) diploma level qualification, or
- Bachelor level qualification study for a period of at least 23 years full time with a minimum overall GPA 4.0
completed within Australia, Canada, New Zealand, United Kingdom, South Africa, Ireland or United States of America, which will meet the English proficiency.
If you do not satisfy any of the above, you will need to undertake an English language proficiency test and achieve the following scores:
- An International English Language Testing System (IELTS Academic) overall band score of at least 6.0 with a minimum 5.5 in each subset; or
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) - Requires 550 or better overall and minimum TWE score of 4.5 (Paper Based Test), or 75 or better overall and no score less than 17 (Internet Based Test); or
- Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic) - Requires an overall score of 54 with no sub-score less than 46; or
- An Occupational English test with Grades A or B only n each of the four components.
English test results remain valid for no more than two years between final examination date and the date of commencement of study, and must appear on a single result certificate.
International Students should visit http://www.cqu.edu.au/international for further information
Each student will be assessed individually.
Students must be able to enter specific workplaces while attending the residential school.
Fees & Scholarships
2023 Indicative Fees
|Domestic Full Fee Paying – Indicative First Year Fee||$26,184|
Indicative first-year fee
The fees listed are indicative only and based on enrolling in a full-time study load for one academic year (generally, this is four units over one term for a graduate certificate or eight units over two terms for a graduate diploma or masters degree). Your fees may vary depending on the units you select and the number you study per term. Fees are reviewed annually and are subject to change. Understanding your fees.
Government assistance loans
You may be eligible for FEE-HELP, an Australian Government loan scheme that helps eligible students pay their tuition fees. Provided you meet the FEE-HELP eligibility criteria, you can choose to use FEE-HELP to cover all or part of your tuition fees. Learn more about paying for university or view the FEE-HELP information booklet on the Australian Government’s Study Assist website.
Other study costs
Part of your course costs includes Student Services and Amenities Fees (SSAF). There may also be additional costs as part of your studies, such as textbooks, technology expenses, travel expenses, professional certifications, uniforms, or vaccinations. Explore other study costs.
At CQUniversity, we believe higher education should be for everyone. No matter your situation, we know that everyone needs a helping hand from time to time, and we are proud to offer a wide range of scholarships, bursaries and stipends.
Our scholarships could help you pay for things like relocation, living on campus, laptops and technology, childcare, study and living expenses, travel and more.
How to apply
If you have decided what you would like to study and are ready to apply, we’re here to help you along the way. Before you apply, you will need to have a Unique Student Identifier (USI). If you do not have a USI, creating one is quick and easy. Simply visit usi.gov.au to create one.
Want to know more about application dates and other admission information?
View our important dates information and read about other admission considerations such as information for domestic students with overseas qualifications, indigenous support, and elite athlete, coach and performer support.
APPLY DIRECTLY TO CQUNIVERSITY
To apply for this course, submit your application directly to CQUniversity using the Apply button below.