Master of Educational Leadership - CM20
The changing landscape of the education sector requires exceptional leaders to navigate social complexities and shape positive learning outcomes for students and their communities. The Master of Educational Leadership at CQUniversity is designed for current and aspiring educational leaders in schools and educational settings such as early learning centres, to build your skills and confidence to successfully lead your teams and organisations, and partner with communities and stakeholders to drive continuous pedagogical improvement and boost capacity and wellbeing.
Start anytime and benefit from the flexibility of an entirely online course, studied at your own pace with no assessment constraints or unit deadlines. This course is now open for applications to study on Be Different in 2022.
1 years full-time, 5 years part-time
The Master of Educational Leadership will suit educational leaders in schools and educational settings, seeking career advancement and specialised educational leadership, underpinned by research-informed initiatives and pedagogy. This course is aligned with the Australian Institute for Teaching and School Leadership (AITSL) Professional Standards for Principals.
During your course, you will examine the responsibilities of educational leaders and their role in effectively managing change and seeking opportunities to innovate. You will develop an advanced understanding and critical knowledge of creating and maintaining professional learning communities including community engagement, negotiation and managing competing interests. You will explore, critique and apply contemporary leadership ideas and strategies to promote advocacy, facilitate change initiatives and evaluate educational performance against relevant educational policies and frameworks. Designed with three research focused units, this course will prepare you for research in educational contexts. In the course you will also examine quality models in Educational Neuroscience exemplified by ‘The Icecap model’ in Neuroleadership. From these, you will also learn practical strategies for professionals and leaders that can be used immediately. You will learn about contemporary evidence from cutting edge research using brain-friendly principles and cover topics including brain architecture, neuroplasticity, genes, epigenetics, maintaining a healthy brain, and the science of learning. Your studies culminate in a substantial research-based project, capstone experience and/or piece of scholarship.
Delivered entirely online, you will benefit from a hyperflexible delivery meaning you can study at your own pace, access your learning material anytime, and tailor your learning to an educational context of your choosing. Whether you choose to study full-time and complete the Master of Educational Leadership in 12 months, or part-time at a pace that fits your needs, you'll be supported by a dedicated academic staff member.
A recommended study sequence allows students to scaffold your learning and satisfy the Graduate Certificate of Educational Leadership after completion of the first four units. Each unit is made up of approximately three modules, which can each be studied as a standalone microcredential within a professional learning context.
|Core Units||7||Major Units||None|
Wondering how a self-paced postgraduate course works and what to expect? Explore the course details below to find out more.
The Master of Educational Leadership is comprised of seven units including one capstone unit. The first six units are designed to each require a time commitment of 150 hours, and your final unit, the Capstone Project, has a time commitment of 300 hours. In total, the seven units equate to a total of 1200 hours of study which is approximately 12 months of full-time study when compared to a typical university term structure of two terms of full-time study. However, you will have up to five years from enrolment to complete the course at your own pace.
Following a hyperflexible design, each unit is made up of approximately three modules with each module designed to be completed in approximately 50 hours. Each module can be studied as a micro-credential through our Centre for Professional Development presenting even greater flexibility to dip in and out of the course to suit your learning needs, and later pathway into the full Masters of Educational Leadership. Students intending to aggregate the modules to form a unit must also complete relevant assessments successfully, and must meet other relevant course entry requirements. We recommend studying modules and units in a sequence to gain appropriate foundational and core knowledge.
Assessments are completed at your own pace - no deadlines or due dates — and focus on issues in an educational context of your choosing.
RECOMMENDED COURSE STRUCTURE
We strongly recommend you follow the sequence below for this course.
|EDED20497||Orientation to Educational Leadership|
|EDED20498||Educational Change and Improvement|
|EDED20499||Leading Learning and Community Engagement|
|EDED20500||Engaging with Educational Research|
|Upon completion of the above four units, students will satisfy the exit award for Graduate Certificate in Educational Leadership.|
|EDED20516||Neuroleadership and Conceptual Approaches in Educational Neuroscience|
|EDED20298||The Research Process|
|EDED20518||Capstone Project in Educational Leadership|
Upon completion of all seven units, students will satisfy the Master of Educational Leadership.
BE DIFFERENT LEARNING PLATFORM
Ideal for the busy, self-motivated learner, this course is hosted entirely online and structured so that you can choose when you study. This course is designed for you to access course content on any device with internet access.
Unit content is divided into modules which are then broken down into smaller bite-sized learning activities so you’re able to fit study around your commitments and lifestyle. Complete modules on the bus, during your lunch hour, or in the doctor’s waiting room.
With no need to buy textbooks or additional content, and everything you need available on the Be Different platform and internet, you can be completing your studies anywhere.
|Hyperflexible Annual Term - 2022||Available Online|
|Hyperflexible Annual Term - 2023||Available Online|
When you study this course via our flexible online Be Different learning platform, not only will you study high-quality course content delivered by our supportive educators, but you also get to set your pace. You are not bound by our traditional term dates for completing your study or assessments.
To be eligible for entry into this course, applicants must hold one of the following:
- A completed Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) equivalent Bachelor degree or higher equivalent qualification, with a minimum of three years' relevant* experience in an educational setting; or
- A completed AQF equivalent Initial Teaching Education (ITE) course with evidence of three years' registered teaching experience within Australia or equivalent; or
- A completed CQUniversity Graduate Certificate in Educational Leadership or equivalent qualification.
*Relevant work experience includes employment in a teaching or educational setting (which can include early childhood education, guidance counsellor or corporate settings which have a strong educational focus).
Employment experience must be shown in a letter of employment which is presented on a company letterhead as well as signed and dated by a delegated authority. The letter must contain position title, duties performed and length of service.
Applicants who hold other relevant qualifications with extensive employment experience in an educational setting may be referred to the Head of Course for consideration of admission.
English Language Proficiency Requirements
If you were not born in Australia, Canada, New Zealand, United Kingdom, Ireland, South Africa or United States of America, you are required to meet the English Language Proficiency requirements set by the University.
Applicants are required to provide evidence of completion of:
- A secondary qualification (Year 11 and 12, or equivalent), or
- An Australian Qualifications Framework (QF) diploma level qualification, or
- Bachelor level qualification study for a period of at least 2 years full time with a minimum overall GPA 4.0
completed within Australia, Canada, New Zealand, United Kingdom, South Africa, Ireland or United States of America, which will meet the English proficiency.
If you do not satisfy any of the above, you will need to undertake an English language proficiency test and achieve the following scores:
- An International English Language Testing System (IELTS Academic) overall band score of at least 6.0 with a minimum 5.5 in each subset; or
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) - Requires 550 or better overall and minimum TWE score of 4.5 (Paper Based Test), or 75 or better overall and no score less than 17 (Internet Based Test); or
- Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic) - Requires an overall score of 54 with no sub-score less than 46; or
- An Occupational English Test with Grades A or B only in each of the four components.
English test results remain valid for no more than two years between final examination date and the date of commencement of study, and must appear on a single result certificate.
International Students should visit http://www.cqu.edu.au/international for further information.
Each student will be assessed individually.
Students enrolled in this course must have a relevant Working with Children clearance or equivalent
The course is delivered in a hyperflexible mode. It is fully online and available 24/7 and 365 days a year to support students' self-paced study. There is a recommended sequence of study but the pacing of study and unit completion is determined by the student. The course is typically completed in 1200 hours.
Graduates of the Master of Educational Leadership have advanced specialised knowledge and skills in educational leadership. Professional and research content enables graduates to lead and collaborate productively with teams, communities and stakeholders to enhance organisational capacity and wellbeing and to lead research-informed initiatives and pedagogy. Graduates may use Master of Educational Leadership units as evidence of continuing professional development and/or to support career advancement.
|2022 Indicative Fees|
|International Indicative First Year Fee||$16,800.00|
Please note the following important information:
- Fees are in Australian dollars (A$).
- Fees are indicative only and do not cover additional costs such as textbooks, accommodation, visa applications, OSHC, general living etc.
- Fees are based on a full-time study load and the final fee payable will be determined by your selection of units and if any credit was awarded for recognition of prior learning.
- The University reserves the right to amend fees at any time during the course. Fees are reviewed yearly and may increase in the following year to enable CQUniversity to continue to provide quality services and facilities to students.
- Courses are subject to change at the discretion of the University.
- It is your responsibility to make yourself aware of the entry requirements and prerequisites of the courses you wish to undertake.
- The typical annual fee shown provides an estimate of the tuition fees for the first year of the course in the same academic year. This estimate assumes a full-time study load of 4 units per term (based on two terms).
- Students not on an Australian student visa can only undertake courses online from an overseas location.
- Courses undertaken online may be studied on a full-time or part-time mode.
- International students studying on-campus in Australia may take no more than 33 per cent of their entire course by online education, and this option cannot be taken in its entirety during a compulsory term (Term 1 and Term 2).
Please refer to our international course fees page.
There are no scholarships available for this course.
REGISTER YOUR INTEREST
This course will be available for commencement in 2022. Register your interest today to be notified once applications open.
From 2022, this course will be open for applications all year round allowing you to start your studies anytime.
Before you apply, you can register on our Be Different platform and complete an optional orientation unit. This orientation unit is a great taster unit and will give you a feel for the course and the learning platform – it’s a good way to assess whether it’s the right fit, for you.Apply direct