Diploma of Music - CC41
The Diploma of Music is available by online study and supported through CQUni's Regional Conservatorium partnerships with Murray Conservatorium (Albury), Riverina Conservatorium (Wagga Wagga), Mitchell Conservatorium (Bathurst, Lachlan, Lithgow) and at our Central Queensland Conservatorium of Music (CQCM), at CQUni Mackay. You will be supported throughout your study and undertake one-on-one instrumental tuition with highly qualified regional conservatorium staff in classical, jazz or popular music.
1 years full-time, 2 years part-time
No recommended study required
The aim of the Diploma of Music is to provide you with the opportunity to develop musical knowledge and skills that will prepare you for a career in music or further tertiary study in music. On successful completion of the Diploma of Music, you may choose to continue your study at the second year level in one of the specialisations within the Bachelor of Music degree.
|Core Units||4||Major Units||None|
|Term 2 - 2019||Mackay|
Term dates for 2019
Term 1: 11 March to 7 June
Term 2: 15 July to 11 October
Term 3: 11 November to 14 February 2020
This minor is only available at the Mackay or Noosa campuses.
|Jazz and Popular||4|
This minor is only available on the Mackay campus.
This minor is only available by distance education.
This minor is available internally on the Mackay campus and also by distance education. Students may also study MUSC11409 Principal Music Studios 1 and MUSC11410 Principal Music Studios 2 at approved regional conservatoriums in New South Wales.
You are required to complete eight compulsory core units.
For information on the units, you could study as part of this course, visit the Handbook and select the "Course Structure" tab.
CREDIT TRANSFER INFORMATION
If you have already completed study relevant to the course you have enrolled in, you may be eligible for credit transfer.
Students will be required to successfully complete an audition and interview for admission to the course.
If you were not born in Australia, Canada, New Zealand, United Kingdom, Ireland, South Africa or United States of America, you are required to meet the English Language Proficiency requirements set by the University.
Applicants are required to provide evidence of completion of:
- a secondary qualification (Year 11 and 12, or equivalent), or
- tertiary diploma level qualification, or
- bachelor level qualification study for a period of at least 2 years fulltime with a minimum overall GPA 4.0
completed within Australia, Canada, New Zealand, United Kingdom, South Africa, Ireland, or United States of America, which will meet the English proficiency.
If you do not satisfy any of the above, you will need to undertake an English language proficiency test and achieve the following scores:
- An International English Language Testing System (IELTS Academic) overall band score of at least 6.0 overall with a minimum 5.5 in each subset; or
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) - Requires 550 or better overall and minimum TWE score of 4.5 (Paper Based Test), or 75 or better overall and no score less than 17 (Internet Based Test); or
- Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic) - Requires an overall score of 54 with no sub-score less than 46; or
- An Occupational English Test with Grades A or B only in each of the four components; or
- Cambridge Certificate in advanced English (CAE) - Score of 180 or above; or
- Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English - Score of 200 or above; or
- Combined Universities Language Test (CULT) - 70% with no individual component score of less than 15.
English test results remain valid for no more than two years between final examination date and the date of commencement of study, and must appear on a single result certificate.
Security RequirementsNo information available at this time.
Health RequirementsNo information available at this time.
It is recommended that students have achieved at least an intermediate level of performance skill on their particular instrument or voice before auditioning for entry to this course.
Completion of the Diploma of Music will prepare you to pursue employment opportunities in roles such as a:
- professional musician
- studio teacher.
You may also pursue a music-related role in arts administration, communication or creative industries.