Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) TAFE
Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) is an assessment process of an individual’s previously obtained skills and knowledge that has been achieved outside the formal education and training system.
- The RPL process includes a competency conversation with the applicant, and a competency conversation with at least one supervisor / employer covering the applicable unit requirements.
- CQUniversity may request applicants undertake challenge assessments. These include knowledge and practical tasks and are in addition to the competency conversation.
- You should also provide a resume or consecutive list of recent employment, which includes dates of employment, description of work undertaken, and contact details of the employer or supervisor. Contact information for supervisors / employers must reflect the workplace / organisation. Personal contact details will not be accepted.
- Individuals who offer third party information (supervisor / employer) are required to disclose their role, experience, and qualifications relevant to the industry and/or unit outcomes as a part of the verification process. Please consider any third-party reporters carefully, and ensure they are aware of these requirements.
- Any supporting evidence from previous employers, volunteer organisations, clubs or associations (eg, position description, letter of support, etc.) must be on official letterhead.
Difference between Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) and Credit Transfer
Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL)
RPL involves an assessment process of an individual’s previously obtained skills and knowledge that has been achieved outside the formal education and training system.
Skills and Knowledge will need to be current (in the last 12-18 months) and evidence in the form of Resume, Job Descriptions, and References, (just to name a few) will need to be provided in support of application.
Assessment will involve a Competency conversation, Documentation and Third-Party Verification, and possibly an observation.
Where a person has previously completed equivalent competencies or learning outcomes (via formal learning) in the same or similar field in which they are currently studying.
Documentation of previous competencies achieved in the form of “Results of Assessment” is required. This document will be verified with issuing Registered Training Organisation (RTO). Please discuss this with your teacher at the commencement of your course and they will assist you with this process.
If you are seeking RPL or credit into a higher education qualification, such as a Bachelor or Master degree, please visit www.cqu.edu.au/credittransfer for more information.
Courses Eligible for RPL TAFE
RPL is offered here for “Vocational Education and Training Courses”, this is Certificate I, II, III, IV or Diploma.
If you are seeking RPL in a VET course, please complete the below online enquiry form.
What does it cost?
The cost of RPL assessment varies between individuals as each applicant will possess a unique set of experiences, skills and knowledge, which will determine if a full or partial qualification can be obtained.
If your course is eligible for VET Fee-Help, the fees for RPL can be covered by the loan. If your course is eligible for government funding and you meet the criteria your fees may be reduced. A full list of costs can be found on our website.
A detailed costing information form will be included with your application kit.
How can I apply?
Complete the online enquiry form and your application kit will be sent to you within two working days or contact the RPL Administration Centre on (07) 4970 7249 and one of our friendly staff will be happy to help you.