AUR31114 - Certificate III in Heavy Commercial Vehicle Mechanical Technology
At a glanceThis qualification is intended to prepare new employees or recognise and develop existing workers performing mechanical work in the automotive heavy commercial vehicle service and repair sector. Employment outcomes targeted by this qualification include heavy commercial vehicle technicians.
|Study Mode||Online; On-campus|
|Availability||Emerald; Rockhampton, City Online; On-campus|
Please refer to the VET student fees price lists, eligibility criteria applies for subsidised funding. If you are unsure please call us on 13 27 86.
Student Outcomes, Career Opportunities and Occupations1. Students will receive a Result of Assessment within 21 days of completion of each unit/module or within 21 days of the ‘close of study’ date. 2. Students who successfully complete all required units/modules will receive their qualification and an Academic Statement itemising all units/modules successfully completed. 3. Following receipt of written advice from the student (or teacher) that the student does not intend to complete the full course, the student will be issued with a Statement of Attainment listing all units/modules successfully completed.
This course is for apprentices only.
This course is for apprenticeship training only. Students must be employed as apprentices in a relevant industry.
Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL)
Is what I already know taken into account?
Yes. Your history of study, skills and experience does matter. Consideration is given to your prior life and work experiences as well as formal and informal training. This may be applied using the national standard for Mutual Recognition or through Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL). Documentary evidence will be requested.
Structure and assessment
- Apply environmental and sustainability best practice in an automotive workplace(AURAEA2002)
- Apply safe working practices in an automotive workplace(AURASA2002)
- Test and repair basic electrical circuits(AURETR2012)
- Diagnose and repair vehicle dynamic control systems(AURETR3022)
- Diagnose and repair electronic compression ignition engine management systems(AURETR3024)
- Test, charge and replace batteries(AURETR3025)
- Diagnose and repair charging systems(AURETR3029)
- Diagnose and repair starting systems(AURETR3030)
- Repair air braking systems(AURHTB3001)
- Repair steering systems (heavy vehicle)(AURHTD3002)
- Repair suspension systems (heavy vehicle)(AURHTD3003)
- Repair engines and associated engine components (heavy vehicle)(AURHTE3002)
- Repair final drive - driveline (heavy vehicle)(AURHTQ3003)
- Diagnose and repair heavy vehicle emission control systems(AURHTZ3001)
- Carry out servicing operations(AURTTA2004)
- Service hydraulic systems(AURTTA2006)
- Carry out diagnostic procedures(AURTTA3018)
- Diagnose and repair cooling systems(AURTTC3003)
- Service diesel fuel injection systems(AURTTF2002)
- Inspect and repair engine forced induction systems(AURTTF3005)
- Use and maintain workplace tools and equipment(AURTTK2002)
- Service final drive assemblies(AURTTQ2001)
- Diagnose and repair heavy vehicle hydraulic braking systems(AURHTB3002)
- Diagnose and repair heavy vehicle electronic braking systems(AURHTB3007)
- Remove and install heavy vehicle engine assemblies(AURHTE2001)
- Repair final drive assemblies (heavy vehicle)(AURHTQ3002)
- Repair transmissions - manual (heavy vehicle)(AURHTX3001)
- Diagnose and repair heavy vehicle clutch systems(AURHTX3004)
- Select and use bearings, seals, gaskets, sealants and adhesives (AURTTA2005)
- Inspect and service engines(AURTTE2004)
- Repair diesel fuel injection systems(AURTTF3004)
- Use and maintain measuring equipment in an automotive workplace(AURTTK2001)
- Carry out gas metal arc welding procedures(AURVTW2003)
- Carry out oxy acetylene welding, thermal cutting and thermal heating procedures(AURVTW2008)
- Maintain engine lubrication systems(MEM18028B)
- Tune diesel engines(MEM18029B)
To view more information about these units, as well as the suggested study plan, please visit the handbook.
Duration and Dates
Fees and scholarships
The Queensland Government determines the schedule set by CQUniversity. Additional fees may be charged for printed materials, protective clothing and tools etc. A full copy of all regulations associated with VET fees can be accessed from the Queensland Government Legislation website.
All fees must be paid to finalise enrolment or a payment arrangement entered into. You will be liable for all payments, even if you discontinue enrolment, subject to the Refund Policy. Debt recovery action will be taken to recover outstanding fees. Please select from the following:
- VET Student Loans
VET Student Loans will commence from 1 January 2017 and is an interest free Australian Government income contingency loan that assists eligible full fee paying students to pay their Tuition Fees.
- VET Government funded programs
The cost of these programs is based on a student contribution fee. A concession may be available in some situations. Additional resource/material costs will vary from program to program.
- VET fee-for-service programs (full fee paying)
These are competitively priced full-fee paying programs which do not attract concessions.
- 2019 VET Foundation Skills Course Fees
- 2019 VET Certificate Level Course Fees
- 2019 VET Diploma and VET Student Loans Course Fees
Please refer to the scholarship pages for more information.
How to Apply
How do I secure an apprenticeship or traineeship?
Traineeships and apprenticeships need to be secured with an employer before you can start your study. Your employer will then work with CQUniversity to pull together the training program that is right for you. If you would like to become an apprentice or trainee, visit the Australian Government Australian Apprenticeships website and follow the steps to become an apprentice.
For further information
If you have any questions about the course, please call us on 13 27 86.
You can also register your interest to stay up-to-date with course developments, application timelines and events happening in your area.