Associate Degree of Building Surveying - CB99

If you are looking to upskill, or are a tradesperson wanting to enhance your qualifications to a paraprofessional level, the Associate Degree of Building Surveying is an ideal course. You will develop skills that are highly desired by employers across a range of areas such as building legislation and auditing, fire safety design and inspection procedures, construction and building materials. Upon completion you will fulfil the educational requirements for a Level 3 licence with the Australian Insittue of Building Surveyors (AIBS). Learn directly from professionals working in building and construction to gain up-to-date skills and benefit from the flexibility to study this course part-time alongside your current role.




SR:66 ATAR:66




4 years part-time




No pre-requisites required


English (Units 3 and 4, C), General Mathematics or Mathematical Methods (Units 3 and 4, C)

The Associate Degree of Building Surveying provides you the skills and qualification to pursue a career as an Assistant Building Surveyor.

This course will teach you how to assess building documentation for code and standards compliance and inspect staged works for domestic and residential buildings including class 1 to 10 buildings, not exceeding two stories in height and a total floor area of 500 square metres, as defined by the Building Code of Australia (BCA). Upon completing this course you will fulfil the educational requirements for a Level 3 licence by the Australian Insitutue of Building Surveyors (AIBS).

Available to study part-time and online, this courses provides you the flexibility to work in the industry while you study and apply what you are learning in a professional setting. To grow your expertise further and become a building surveyor, this course provides you an ideal pathway into the Bachelor of Surveying and Certification.

Core Units 16 Major Units None
Electives None Minor Units None

Course structure

You are required to complete a total of 16 core units.

Unit information

For information on the units, you could study as part of this course, visit the Handbook and select the "Course Structure" tab.

Credit transfer information

If you have already completed study relevant to the course you have enrolled in, you may be eligible for credit transfer

Your study options

CQUniversity offers two distinct levels of building surveying study options. The Associate Degree of Building Surveying (CB99) teaches you how to assess building documentation for code and standards compliance and inspect staged works for domestic and residential buildings including Class 1 and 10 buildings, not exceeding two stories in height and a total floor area of 500 square metres, as defined by the Building Code of Australia (BCA).

Our Bachelor of Building Surveying and Certification (Honours) (CC61) qualifies you to certify buildings of all classes in the residential and commercial sectors. Assess building documentation for codes and standards compliance, and inspect staged works on all classes of buildings, as defined by the Building Code of Australia (BCA).

These courses are available to study part-time and online making them ideal if you are seeking the flexibility to work in the industry while you study. There are no residential schools for these courses.

Your career

A building surveying course at CQUniversity provides an ideal pathway towards a career as a building surveyor.

As a building surveyor, you will interpret and enforce laws and regulations controlling building and construction and find jobs with federal, state and local government departments and authorities, private certification practices, and building industry licensing boards.

The Australian Institute of Building Surveyors regularly reviews our building surveying courses for industry compliance, and this ensures that you graduate with relevant skills and knowledge.

Online Availability

Term 1 - 2023Available Online
Term 2 - 2022Available Online
Term 2 - 2023Available Online
Majors and minors are not applicable to this course.
Work-integrated learning does not apply to this course.
This course has no residential schools.

Rank Threshold
SR 66 | ATAR 66.0

A rank threshold is the minimum competitive rank that applications will be considered for entry to this course.

Rank Cut-Off - minimum unadjusted
OP 13 | SR 77 | ATAR 75.65

Rank Cut-Off - minimum adjusted
OP 12 | SR 77 | ATAR 75.65

The rank cut-off score is the competitive entry score that was needed to gain entry to this course in Term 1 2021. There is an unadjusted score before any adjustment schemes or factors are applied and an adjusted score if these were applied. Entry to courses is competitive and the cut-off score will vary from year to year and is provided as a historical guide of past performance.

Student profile

If you would like to know more about entry scores and the student profile for this course view our Course and Entry Score Profile for Term 1, 2021.

Institute profile

To find out about CQUniversity's Undergraduate Profile for Term 1, 2021 view our Institute Profile.

English Language Proficiency Requirements

If you were not born in Australia, Canada, New Zealand, United Kingdom, Ireland, South Africa or the United States of America, you are required to meet the English Language Proficiency requirements set by the University.

Applicants are required to provide evidence of completion of:

  • A secondary qualification (Year 11 and 12, or equivalent), or
  • An Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) diploma level qualification, or
  • Bachelor level qualification study for a period of at least 2 years fulltime with a minimum overall GPA 4.0

completed within Australia, Canada, New Zealand, United Kingdom, South Africa, Ireland, or United States of America, which will meet the English proficiency.

If you do not satisfy any of the above, you will need to undertake an English language proficiency test and achieve the following scores:

  • An International English Language Testing System (IELTS Academic) overall band score of at least 6.0 with a minimum 5.5 in each subset; or
  • Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) - Requires 550 or better overall and minimum TWE score of 4.5 (Paper Based Test), or 75 or better overall and no score less than 17 (Internet Based Test); or
  • Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic) - Requires an overall score of 54 with no sub-score less than 46; or
  • An Occupational English Test with Grades A or B only in each of the four components.

English test results remain valid for no more than two years between the final examination date and the date of commencement of study, and must appear on a single result certificate.

International Students should visit for further information.

Each student will be assessed individually.

Security Requirements

No information available at this time.

Health Requirements

No information available at this time.

Assumed Knowledge

Domestic students - Assumed Knowledge - English (4, SA), and Maths A or B (4, SA)

The Associate Degree of Building Surveying prepares you for a role as an Assistant Building Surveyor and will allow you to pursue employment opportunities within:

  • local government, state and federal authorities
  • licensing and code boards
  • private certifiers.

As a graduate of this course, you will be capable of assessing building documentation for code and standards compliance and inspecting staged works for domestic and residential buildings, not exceeding two storeys in height and a total floor area of 500 square metres.

This course is regularly reviewed by the accrediting body, the Australian Institute of Building Surveyors (AIBS).

2022 Indicative Fees
Fee TypeFees
Commonwealth Supported Place – Indicative First Year Fee$8,016.00

The indicative first year fee is an approximate cost of enrolling in this course for one academic year. It is based on a standard full-time study load (generally this is two terms of study, with four units studied per term). Your actual fees may vary, depending on the units that you select to study and the number of units you study per term. You can view unit fees in the Cost Per Unit table. Fees are reviewed annually and are subject to change.

Fee Category Commonwealth Supported Place
What is a Commonwealth Supported Place? A Commonwealth Supported Place is subsidised by the Government so that you are only required to pay a Student Contribution amount rather than tuition fees.
Am I eligible for a Commonwealth Supported Place? You are eligible to be Commonwealth supported if you are:
  • an Australian citizen who will undertake in Australia at least one unit of study that contributes to the requirements of your course; or
  • a New Zealand citizen who will be resident in Australia for the duration of your unit of study; or
  • the holder of a permanent visa, including a permanent humanitarian visa, who will be resident in Australia for the duration of your unit of study.

If you are not eligible for a Commonwealth Supported Place you will be required to pay tuition fees. Find out more about tuition fees or fees for international students.

Fee Type Student Contribution
What is a Student contribution? As a Commonwealth supported student, you will contribute towards the cost of your education by paying a Student Contribution. The Student Contribution is calculated for each term of enrolment based on the individual units you have enrolled in, not the course you are studying.
What is my Student Contribution?

Your Student Contribution fee is charged per unit of study and is dependent on the Student Contribution Band for each unit. Student Contribution Bands are categorised by study disciplines and help provide an estimate of course fees. The majority of units within this course fall within Band 2. Some units may fall within Band 1, 3 and/or 4.

HECS-HELP and payment options

HECS-HELP is the loan scheme provided by the Australian Government to help eligible Commonwealth supported students pay their student contributions through a loan. Eligible students can use a HECS-HELP loan to pay for all or some of their Student Contribution amount. If you elect to use a HECS-HELP loan, this means that you will defer payment of your Student Contribution amount and repay your HECS-HELP loan when your income is above the compulsory repayment threshold.

If you are not eligible for a HECS-HELP loan, or you are required to pay your Student Contribution upfront, you will need to pay your fees no later than the census date for the term in which you are studying.

Other Fees You will also incur a Student Services and Amenities Fee.
Other study costs You may have other study costs such as travel expenses related to residential schools or work placements if they are a requirement of your course. There are also textbooks, stationery and other sundry costs associated with studying.

At CQUniversity, we believe University should be for everyone. No matter your situation, we know that everyone needs a helping hand from time to time and are proud to offer a wide range of scholarships, bursaries and stipends.
Our scholarships could help you pay for things like relocation, living on campus, laptops and technology, childcare, study and living expenses, travel and more. 

QueenslandONL: 850375
New South WalesONL: 160241
VictoriaONL: 1700110391 
Western AustraliaONL: 150241

If you apply via a Tertiary Admissions Centre (TAC) listed under 'How to Apply', please use the relevant TAC code listed above to complete your application.

If you have decided what you would like to study and are ready to apply, we’re here to help you along the way. Before you apply, you will need to have a Unique Student Identifier (USI). If you do not have a USI, creating one is quick and easy. Simply visit to create one.

Want to know more about application dates and other admission information?
View our important dates information and read about other admission considerations such as information for domestic students with overseas qualifications, indigenous support, and elite athlete, coach and performer support.

What’s the best way to apply?

  • Option 1: Ideal for most situations, whether you have completed high school recently or some time ago.
  • Option 2: Ideal if you have previously studied with CQUni.

Option 1: Ideal for most situations, apply via a tertiary admission centre

View the table below for the best application option based on where you live.

If you live in Tertiary Admissions Centre (TAC)*
Queensland Apply via QTAC
New South Wales; Australian Capital Territory Apply via UAC
Victoria; Tasmania Apply via VTAC
South Australia; Northern Territory; Western Australia Apply via ApplyCQUNI

*Please note that you may be required to pay a fee when applying via a TAC.

Option 2: If you have previously studied with CQUni, apply direct.

As a past CQUni student, you may be eligible to apply directly to CQUniversity for this course. To apply direct, your prior study with CQUni must be a completed or partially completed CQUni course or unit including:
  • CQUni’s Skills for Tertiary Entrance Preparatory Studies (STEPS), Tertiary Entrance Program (TEP), or Start Uni Now (SUN) units.
  • A CQUni certificate, diploma, advanced diploma, associate degree, bachelor degree, graduate certificate, graduate diploma, master or research higher degree, or a unit within these courses.
Apply direct