|Year of Study||2nd year|
|Citizenship||Australian Citizen; Permanent Resident; Permanent Humanitarian Visa; New Zealand Citizen|
|Study Mode||All modes|
|Study Load||All loads|
To be eligible to receive the CQUniCares Sedgman Scholarship, an applicant must meet the following criteria:
- Be enrolled or intending to be enrolled at CQUniversity in Term 2, 2023;
- Be studying in 2023 the second academic year of their chosen course;
- Be female and/or Indigenous;
- Be enrolled in one of the following courses:
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) [CC31]
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) and Diploma of Professional Practice (Co-op Engineering) [CC32]
- Associate Degree of Engineering [CC02]
- Bachelor of Engineering Technology [CG21]
- Bachelor of Environmental Science [CA42]
- Bachelor of Science [CU18];
- Be enrolled with a minimum term study load of at least 12 credit points*;
- Be an Australian Citizen, Permanent Resident, holder of a Humanitarian Visa or New Zealand Citizen with a permanent home address in Australia;
- Be enrolled at Census Date in Term 2, 2023
Sedgman Pty Ltd offers this scholarship with the expectation that the recipient will complete work experience or vacation employment opportunities with them. The scholar may also be considered upon graduation for the Sedgman Graduate Program. The scholar’s ability and desire to do this will be assessed during the selection process. Sedgman may enter into a direct agreement with the scholar in relation to work experience/ vacation employment. Therefore, the recipient will not be eligible to be considered for additional CQUniversity donor-funded scholarships for the full duration of their scholarship.
*Payments may continue to be awarded on a pro-rata basis to students completing less than 12 credit points in extenuating circumstances. This is at the discretion of both the Student Scholarships Team and Sedgman Pty Ltd.
Applicants are required to:
- provide a 500-word personal statement addressing the question:
How would a CQUniCares Sedgman Scholarship assist with your studies?
Expectations of recipients
Sedgman Pty Ltd offers this scholarship with the expectation that the recipient will complete work experience or vacation employment opportunities with them. The scholar may also be considered upon graduation for the Sedgman Graduate Program. The scholar’s ability and desire to do this will be assessed during the selection process. Sedgman may enter into a direct agreement with the scholar in relation to work experience/ vacation employment.
As a scholarship recipient, you will be asked to participate in a feedback survey. You may also be approached to assist with promoting CQUniversity’s Scholarship program by sharing your experiences as a recipient through testimonials, media or invitations to attend events such as Orientation or Open Days. If you do not wish to be publicly recognised or be involved in the above initiatives, please advise the Advancement and Alumni Relations Team via firstname.lastname@example.org immediately following acceptance.
Ongoing eligibility requirements
In addition to the eligibility criteria, the successful applicant must:
- Maintain a minimum GPA of 4.0 each term
- Remain enrolled in the course as at Census Date each term with a minimum of 12 credit points or more.
Please note that failure to meet the continuing eligibility criteria may result in the scholarship being cancelled.
Students may request a deferral of their scholarship in special circumstances. This request must be made through the Student Scholarships Team and should occur in conjunction with an official Leave of Absence request to the University. If approved, a scholarship may only be deferred for a maximum period of two terms (excludes Term 3). Continuing students must still maintain a minimum GPA of 4.0 in the term directly before taking a Leave of Absence.
In special circumstances, a student may also make a request to transfer their scholarship to an alternative course of study. This request must be made through the Student Scholarships Team and is at the discretion of the scholarship donor.
Sharing Details with the Donor of your scholarship
As funds for your scholarship have been generously donated, CQUniversity is required to share your name, course/ study area and ongoing eligibility (including academic performance) with the donor of your scholarship. Donors may wish to celebrate their recipients, however if you do not wish your donor or CQUniversity to promote your name publicly, this can be arranged.
Thanking your donor
Many of our scholarships are made possible by generous donations from community partners who are committed to supporting CQUniversity students to reach their academic goals. Our donors are always keen to hear how their support is making a difference. You are strongly encouraged to submit a letter of thanks (Word/PDF) to email@example.com to express your appreciation. To help you get started, we recommend providing a brief overview of who you are, what you are studying and your career aspirations, as well as some insight into how your scholarship will benefit you.
Payment of scholarship
The successful applicant is required to enter their current financial institution details (banking details) into their MyCQU for payment to occur. This must be done prior to each term Census Date to avoid delays.
Payments are based on term study loads as follows:
- $1,250/term for study load of 12 credit points
- $2,500/term for study load of 18 credit points or more
Payment will be made to the successful applicant in Week 6 after final post Census Date eligibility checks each term.
Payments will be credited electronically to the student’s nominated bank account.
*Disclaimer - Students may be required to provide further documentation to support their application. This can include the following:
- Written submission
- Documentation demonstrating academic achievement or unofficial transcript
- Documentation demonstrating community involvement, exemplary work or demonstration of leadership
- Documentation demonstrating low personal or family income/ financial need
- Confirmation of Identity or 2 x Cultural References + a Statutory Declaration (if relevant to scholarship)
Applicants will be assessed on the application and may be required to provide a written submission of no more than 500 words addressing the following:
- Tell us about yourself:
- Name/ course/ interests
- You may wish to also share your current situation, challenges you have experienced or overcome, as well as any examples of success, leadership, community, or volunteering.
- How will a scholarship help you to overcome financial barriers to success?
- You may wish to further explain your current situation and how a scholarship will assist you in managing general living and study expenses.
- What are your career goals and how will a scholarship assist you in achieving your educational objectives?
All requests for further information to support applications will be sent to the student email account. Failure to supply further information will deem the application incomplete and will not be considered.
To apply for the CQUniCares Sedgman Scholarship:
Complete a Scholarship Online Application Form, ensuring all supporting documentation is completed and attached as outlined here
- For Current students (applicants who have already have a Student ID number) apply through MyCQU. You will need to log in with your student details.
- For Future students (applicants who have applied or are intending to apply to study at CQUniversity but not yet received or accepted an offer) apply now.
A section panel, consisting of representatives from Sedgman Pty Ltd will be formed to determine the successful applicant. Shortlisted applicants may be required to participate in an interview (either face-to-face or online).
Scholarships at CQUniversity are highly competitive. All applications are ranked based on how well applicants address the selection criteria, and in comparison, to other applicants.
Being eligible or being a recipient in the past is no guarantee of having a successful application.
A scholarship will only be offered where there is an applicant of sufficient merit.
All applicants are advised that any request for further information to support their application will be sent to their student email accounts or nominated email account for future students. Students will be required to re-submit any further information requested through their original application in MyCQU. Failure to resubmit further information will deem the application incomplete and will not be considered.
The Student Scholarships Team are unable to provide updates to students on the progress of their individual application until all assessments are completed.Students will be notified of the outcome of their application via their student email accounts only. Decisions are final.
Sedgman is a leading provider of minerals processing and associated infrastructure solutions to the global resources industry. Since 1980, we’ve advanced the standard of excellence and innovation in design, delivery and operations for clients. Our Australian heritage has turned into a legacy of projects around the world. And we have expanded from our early days in coal to today, where our expertise includes iron ore, precious and base metals, and industrial minerals. We offer clients a complete service backed by the certainty made possible with world-class facilities.