To be eligible to receive the CQUniCares SMW Group Scholarship, an applicant must meet the following criteria:
- Be enrolled or intending to be enrolled at CQUniversity in 2024;
- Be enrolled in a Certificate II in Engineering Pathways [MEM20413];
- Be an Australian Citizen, Permanent Resident, or holder of a Humanitarian Visa with a permanent home address in Australia;
- Be residing in Central Queensland region:
- Central West region (postal code range: 4472, 4478, 4481 – 4485, 4724 – 4736, 4829)
- Fitzroy region (postal code range: 4420, 4680 – 4706, 4709 – 4720, 4722 – 4723)
- Mackay region (postal code range: 4707 – 4708, 4721, 4737 – 4805)
- Wide Bay Burnett region (postal code range: 4570, 4580 – 4613, 4615 – 4679)
- Not be receiving multiple CQUniversity Scholarships that exceed the annual value of $10,000.
Preference will be given to:
- Female students
- Indigenous Students
- Students completing this course while in Grade 12
Students residing in the Rockhampton region.
Applicants will be assessed on the application and a written submission of no more than 500 words addressing the following:
"How will a CQUniCares SMW Group Scholarship assist with your studies?"
- Tell us about yourself:
- Name/ course/ interests
- You may wish to also share your current situation, challenges you have experienced or overcome, as well as any examples of success, leadership, community, or volunteering.
- How will a scholarship help you to overcome financial barriers to success?
- You may wish to further explain your current situation and how a scholarship will assist you in managing general living and study expenses.
- What are your career goals and how will a scholarship assist you in achieving your educational objectives?
- You may wish to outline your aspirations following graduation, as well as your plans for giving back and supporting our regions.
Expectations of recipients
As a scholarship recipient, you may be asked to participate in a feedback survey. You may also be approached to assist with promoting CQUniversity’s Scholarship program by sharing your experiences as a recipient through testimonials, media or invitations to attend events such as Orientation or Open Days. If you do not wish to be publicly recognised or be involved in the above initiatives, please advise the Philanthropy Team via email@example.com immediately following acceptance.
Ongoing eligibility requirements
In addition to the eligibility criteria, the successful applicant must:
- Remain enrolled in the course throughout the year.
- Have completed and passed at least four units.
Please note that failure to meet the continuing eligibility criteria may result in the scholarship being cancelled.
Public recognition and your involvement
CQUniversity is committed to protecting your privacy. CQUniversity will take all reasonable steps to ensure that the collection, use, disclosure and handling of personal or health information provided by you complies with CQUniversity Information Policy and Procedures and the Information Privacy Act (2009). Visit www.cqu.edu.au/privacy for more information.
As funds for your scholarship have been generously donated, CQUniversity is required to share your name, course/ study area and ongoing eligibility (including results) with the donor of your scholarship. CQUniversity may also share your student email address and your nominated phone number, if requested by your scholarship donor, for the purpose of enabling their representatives to contact you regarding your scholarship. Donors may wish to celebrate their recipients, however if you do not wish your donor or CQUniversity to promote your name publicly, this can be arranged.
If you do not wish to be publicly recognised or be involved in the above initiatives, please advise the Philanthropy Team via firstname.lastname@example.org immediately following acceptance.
Thanking your Donor
Many of our scholarships are made possible by generous donations from community partners who are committed to supporting CQUniversity students to reach their academic goals. Our donors are always keen to hear how their support is making a difference. You are strongly encouraged to submit a letter of thanks (Word/ PDF) or short video to email@example.com to express your appreciation. To help you get started, we recommend providing a brief overview of who you are, what you are studying and your career aspirations, as well as some insight into how your scholarship will benefit you.
Payment of scholarship
The successful applicant is required to enter their current financial institution details (banking details) into MyCQU for payment to occur. This must be done prior to Census Date to avoid delays.
Payment of $1,250 will be made to the successful recipient by the end of April and August following final eligibility checks. Final eligibility checks include enrolment and confirmation by VET Teachers that students are actively participating in class and submitting assessment.
Payments will be credited electronically to the student’s nominated bank account.
*Disclaimer - Students may be required to provide further documentation to support their application. This can include the following:
- Written submission
- Documentation demonstrating academic achievement or unofficial transcript
- Documentation demonstrating community involvement, exemplary work or demonstration of leadership
- Documentation demonstrating low personal or family income/ financial need
- Confirmation of Identity or 2 x Cultural References + a Statutory Declaration (if relevant to scholarship)
All requests for further information to support applications will be sent to the student email account. Failure to supply further information will deem the application incomplete and will not be considered.
To apply for the CQUniCares SMW Group Scholarship:
Complete a Scholarship Online Application Form, ensuring all supporting documentation is completed and attached as outlined here
- For Current students (applicants who have already have a Student ID number) apply through MyCQU. You will need to log in with your student details.
- For Future students (applicants who have applied or are intending to apply to study at CQUniversity but not yet received or accepted an offer) apply now.
A section panel, consisting of representatives from CQUniversity and SMW Group will be formed to determine the successful applicant.
Scholarships at CQUniversity are highly competitive. All applications are ranked based on how well applicants address the selection criteria, and in comparison, to other applicants.
Being eligible or being a recipient in the past is no guarantee of having a successful application.
A scholarship will only be offered where there is an applicant of sufficient merit.
All applicants are advised that any request for further information to support their application will be sent to their student email accounts or nominated email account for future students. Students will be required to re-submit any further information requested through their original application in MyCQU. Failure to resubmit further information will deem the application incomplete and will not be considered.
The Student Scholarships Team are unable to provide updates to students on the progress of their individual application until all assessments are completed.Students will be notified of the outcome of their application via their student email accounts only. Decisions are final.
SMW Group provides a one vendor solution for mining, industry and defence. We’re a future-focused, diversified services provider with over 20 years of industry expertise. Our team works to engineer continuous improvement across all of the SMW Group Companies, striving to bring our best no matter the job. Visit www.smwgroup.com.au for further information.