OS-HELP provides financial assistance to eligible students undertaking some of their study overseas. OS-HELP assistance may be used to cover expenses associated with your overseas study, such as airfares, accommodation, and other travel or settling expenses.
In 2017, the maximum OS-HELP loan amounts for a six month period are:
- $7,880 for study undertaken in Asia
- $6,567 for study undertaken elsewhere
- $1,050 supplementary amount for preparatory Asian language study
The main eligibility criteria for OS-HELP are that the student*:
- is an Australian citizen or the holder of a permanent humanitarian visa or a New Zealand citizen who is the holder of a Special Category Visa AND meets other eligibility criteria AND who is not also a permanent resident of Australia
- is enrolled as a Commonwealth supported student in an award program at CQUniversity
- be undertaking full time study overseas and have that overseas study count towards your CQUniversity course OR be participating in an overseas study tour, placement or internship and have that participation credited towards your CQUniversity course
- on return from overseas study, have courses of at least 0.125 EFTSL (usually one six (6) unit of credit point unit) to do in Australia to complete their course
- must not have received more than one previous OS-HELP loan from any provider
- has not completed the overseas study before applying for the loan
- is selected by CQUniversity to receive an OS-HELP loan
- provide their Tax File Number (TFN) and an OS-HELP debt confirmation form (after being selected for a loan)
*Full eligibility criteria are detailed in CQUniversity’s OS-HELP Policy and Procedure is available at http://policy.cqu.edu.au. Type "OS-HELP" into the Search Title box to view it.
Further information about OS-HELP is available at http://studyassist.gov.au/sites/studyassist/helppayingmyfees/os-help_overseas_study/pages/os-help-loans-and-study-overseas.