OS-HELP provides financial assistance to eligible students undertaking some of their study overseas. OS-HELP assistance may be used to cover expenses associated with your overseas study, such as airfares, accommodation, and other travel or settling expenses.

In 2020, the maximum OS-HELP loan amounts for a six month period are:

  • $8,295 for study undertaken in Asia
  • $6,913 for study undertaken elsewhere
  • $1,104 supplementary amount for preparatory Asian language study

CQUniversity is issued with a limited number of OS-HELP loans each year by the Australian Government.  Once the OS-HELP loans have been fully allocated for the year CQUniversity is unable to approve or pay any further OS-HELP loans.

The main eligibility criteria for OS-HELP are that the student*:

  • is an Australian citizen or the holder of a permanent humanitarian visa or a New Zealand citizen who is the holder of a Special Category Visa AND meets other eligibility criteria AND who is not also a permanent resident of Australia
  • is enrolled as a Commonwealth supported student in an award course at CQUniversity
  • will be undertaking full-time study overseas and have that overseas study count towards your CQUniversity course OR be participating in an overseas study tour, placement or internship and have that participation credited towards your CQUniversity course
  • on return from the overseas study, have at least 0.125 EFTSL  of your course to complete in Australia once you have finished your overseas study (usually one six (6) credit point unit)
  • will have completed 1 EFTSL of study (usually one year of full-time study) in the course you will be receiving credit for as a Commonwealth supported student
  • must not have received more than one previous OS-HELP loan from any provider
  • has not completed the overseas study before applying for the loan
  • is selected by CQUniversity to receive an OS-HELP loan
  • provide their Tax File Number (TFN) and an OS-HELP debt confirmation form (after being selected for a loan)

Information for New Zealand citizens who hold a Special Category Visa (SCV) is available at Study Assist and on the New Zealand citizens – eligibility for HELP page.

*Full eligibility criteria are detailed in CQUniversity’s OS-HELP Policy and Procedure available at Type "OS-HELP" into the Search Title box to view it.

Further information about OS-HELP is available at

Application Forms are available on the Student Forms website or from Student Governance.