Master of Information Technology - CC54
CQUniversity's Master of Information Technology is an ideal course to advance your career or move into the rapidly growing field of information technology (IT). Accredited by the Australian Computer Society and designed to meet the needs of industry, this course offers specialty majors in mobile application development, software design and development, and networks and information security. Tailor your studies even further to suit your career goals with a choice of seven minors including a unique opportunity to study a unit sequence allowing you to graduate with both a Master of Information Technology and Graduate Certificate in Project Management.
This highly practical and industry-relevant degree will provide you with leading-edge knowledge and skills and features the option to complete a 12-week internship or capstone project.
On Campus, Online
2 years full-time, 4 years part-time
Brisbane, Melbourne, Rockhampton, Sydney, Online
If you're an established or aspiring information technology (IT) professional the Master of Information Technology will expand your professional knowledge and skills in information technology (IT). Accredited by the Australian Computer Society, you will benefit from a highly practical course that meets international standards of ICT allowing you to develop your career globally.
During the course, you will study a common first term made up of four units covering project management, introductory programming, ICT services management and information systems analysis and design. Following completion of your first four units, you will begin studying in your chosen major: networks and information security; mobile application development; and software design and development. Tailor the Master of Information Technology even further to suit your interests and career goals with the option to select one of multiple industry-driven minors:
- artificial intelligence
- information systems and analysis
- mobile application development
- networks and information security
- project management
- software design and development.
Minors cover new technologies such as blockchain, neural networks, machine learning, internet-of-things, sustainable practices with IT, and big data. The project management minor provides a unique opportunity to complete a minor in project management and study set elective units to graduate with both the Masters degree and a Graduate Certificate in Project Management (within the standard two years).
You will gain experience using the latest software tools and techniques while having the opportunity to gain exposure to real-world industry case studies based on the experience of practitioner academics. Cement your skills alongside industry with the option of completing a 12-week internship in the final term of study or capstone project.
You will learn from specialist teaching staff including academics with international research reputations in artificial intelligence, internet-of-things and cyber security, current IT practitioners, and academics recognised for their teaching excellence.
Enjoy the flexibility to study online or on-campus, with full-time and part-time study options available. Plus, take advantage of CQUni’s three terms across the year to study the Master of Information Technology, when and how it suits you. The flexible course structure also allows you to exit after completion of four units with the Graduate Certificate of Information Technology, or the Graduate Diploma of Information Technology after completion of eight units.
|Core Units||6||Major Units||11|
You are required to complete 15 units, comprising of 11 discipline units within a selected major and four electives. Majors can be selected from:
- Mobile Application Development
- Networks and Information Security
- Software Design and Development.
The course also offers a 12 credit point capstone project where you demonstrate your knowledge by completing a discipline project.
As part of your choice of electives, you can choose four units from a select group of elective units, three units from within the Graduate Certificate in Project Management plus a general elective unit, or you can choose to complete a four-unit minor in:
- Artificial Intelligence
- Information Systems and Analysis
- Mobile Application Development
- Networks and Information Security
- Software Design and Development.
- Project Management
For information on the units, you could study as part of this course, visit the Handbook and select the "Course Structure" tab.
If you have already completed study relevant to the course you have enrolled in , you may be eligible for credit transfer.
QUALITY EDUCATION, WHEREVER YOU ARE
Between our reputation for learning, teaching and research, our renowned online education offering, and our status as Australia’s largest regional university, rest assured you will get a world-class education when you choose CQUniversity.
A UNI THAT KNOWS CREDIBILITY IS KEY
CQUniversity has achieved some amazing feats and emerged as one of Australia’s truly great universities in under 30 years. We have been ranked among the best in the world for our teaching and learning, and are internationally recognised for our focus on Social Innovation. Our graduates are some of the most sought-after in Australia, due to our reputation for work integrated learning and industry-aligned courses, and experience some of the nation’s best graduate outcomes in terms of full-time employment and starting salary. CQUni is also regarded as the nation’s most inclusive and engaged university, with our award-winning academic and research staff making a real impact on the communities and industries we serve.
A UNI THAT LEADS IN ONLINE EDUCATION
A pioneer in online study, CQUniversity has more than two decades of experience providing high quality online learning experiences. Benefit from the flexibility to study online in your home country.
A UNI THAT KNOWS CONVENIENCE COUNTS
CQUniversity is truly focused on our students’ needs, and that means responding to what, how and where they want to study. It is why we are now Australia’s largest regional university, with more than 12 metropolitan and regional locations across four states, delivering TAFE and university qualifications in on-campus, online and supported online modes to more than 30 000 students.
A UNI THAT KNOWS YOUR EXPERIENCE MATTERS
CQUniversity’s strong focus on student experience ensures that you are prepared and supported on your student journey. Support services include on-campus or online orientation to assist your transition into university life, course and career advice, financial support options, study support, ongoing assistance through the Student Mentor program, counselling services, support for students with disability or medical conditions, Indigenous student support and more.
|Term 2 - 2023||Brisbane Melbourne Rockhampton Sydney|
|Term 3 - 2023||Brisbane Melbourne Sydney|
|Term 2 - 2023||Available Online|
|Term 3 - 2023||Available Online|
|Mobile Application Development||11|
|Networks and Information Security||11|
|Software Design and Development||11|
|Information Systems and Analysis||4|
|Internet of Things||4|
|Mobile Application Development||4|
|Networks and Information Security||4|
|Software Design and Development||4|
|Students are able to undertake discipline capstone units while working with industry partners. The capstone units are COIT20273 Software Design and Development Project, COIT20272 Mobile Application Development Project and COIT20265 Networks and Information Security Project.|
|Postgraduate ICT Internship||COIT20276||Students have the option of undertaking an internship instead of the capstone units COIT20265, COIT20272 or COIT20273.|
To be eligible for entry into this course, applicants must hold one of the following:
- A completed Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) equivalent Bachelor degree, or higher equivalent qualification; or
- A completed CQUniversity Graduate Diploma in Information Systems, or equivalent; or
- A completed CQUniversity Graduate Diploma in Information Technology, or equivalent.
English Language Proficiency Requirements:
If you were not born in Australia, Canada, New Zealand, United Kingdom, Ireland, South Africa or United States of America you are required to meet the English Language Proficiency requirements set by the University. Applicants are required to provide evidence of completion of:
- A secondary qualification (Year 11 and 12, or equivalent), or
- An Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) diploma level qualification, or
- Bachelor level qualification study for a period of at least 2 years fulltime with a minimum overall GPA 4.0
Completed within Australia, Canada, New Zealand, United Kingdom, South Africa, Ireland, or United States of America, which will meet the English proficiency.
If you do not satisfy any of the above you will need to undertake an English language proficiency test and achieve the following scores as below:
- An International English Language Testing System (IELTS Academic) overall band score of at least 6.0 overall with a minimum 5.5 in each subset; or
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) - Requires 550 or better overall & minimum TWE score of 4.5 (Paper Based Test), or 75 or better overall and no score less than 17 (Internet Based Test); or
- Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic) - Requires an overall score of 54 with no sub-score less than 46; or
- An Occupational English Test with Grades A or B only in each of the four components.
English test results remain valid for no more than two years between final examination date and the date of commencement of study, and must appear on a single result certificate.
International Students should visit http://www.cqu.edu.au/international for further information.
Each student will be assessed individually.
Domestics and international students please see the CQUniversity Handbook.
On completing a Master of Information Technology, you can choose a career in a wide variety of roles including;
- analyst programmer
- computer network systems engineer
- database administrator
- developer programmer
- ICT architect
- ICT consultant
- ICT customer support officer
- ICT security specialist
- ICT support engineer
- ICT support technician
- ICT systems test engineer
- network administrator
- project manager
- software and apps programmer
- software engineer
- systems administrator
- web developer.
Australian Computer Society (ACS) - Professional level.
Please note: the ACS accredits each campus individually, therefore students should check the current status of accreditation for newly established locations.
For enquiries concerning eligibility or membership, please refer to the ACS official website: www.acs.org.au
|2022 Indicative Fees|
|International Indicative First Term Fee||$16,830.00|
|International Indicative First Year Fee||$33,990.00|
Please note the following important information:
- Fees are in Australian dollars (A$).
- Fees are indicative only and do not cover additional costs such as textbooks, accommodation, visa applications, OSHC, general living etc.
- Fees are based on a full-time study load and the final fee payable will be determined by your selection of units and if any credit was awarded for recognition of prior learning.
- The University reserves the right to amend fees at any time during the course. Fees are reviewed yearly and may increase in the following year to enable CQUniversity to continue to provide quality services and facilities to students.
- Courses are subject to change at the discretion of the University.
- It is your responsibility to make yourself aware of the entry requirements and prerequisites of the courses you wish to undertake.
- The typical annual fee shown provides an estimate of the tuition fees for the first year of the course in the same academic year. This estimate assumes a full-time study load of 4 units per term (based on two terms).
- Students not on an Australian student visa can only undertake courses online from an overseas location.
- Courses undertaken online may be studied on a full-time or part-time mode.
- International students studying on-campus in Australia may take no more than 33 per cent of their entire course by online education, and this option cannot be taken in its entirety during a compulsory term (Term 1 and Term 2).
Please refer to our international course fees page.
We offer a range of scholarships to support international students and encourage you to apply for one that's right for you.