Graduate Diploma of Occupational Health and Safety - CC77
Play a pivotal role in workplace safety with the Graduate Diploma of Occupational Health and Safety (OHS). Designed in consultation with industry and embedding project-based and authentic learning experiences, this course will prepare you to work in industry and community services in advanced aspects of occupational health and safety.
1 years full-time, 2 years part-time
In the Graduate Diploma of Occupational, Health and Safety (OHS) you will undertake core subjects in the areas of human factors, occupational health, risk management, occupational hygiene, OHS law, safety systems and accident phenomenology. This will see you enhancing your career advancement opportunities as specialist being highly employable in your field of expertise across both the private and public sectors as a safety professional.
On completion of the course, you will be able to:
- identify and anticipate health and safety hazards in the workplace and recommend a systematic approach for their assessment and control
- utilise knowledge from specialised disciplines in the application of effective prevention and control programs in the workplace
- demonstrate effective consultation and communication processes in ways which make appropriate use of managerial and industrial frameworks and the social context of the workplace
- analyse the implications of political, economic, social, cultural, and technological trends on workplace health and safety practices
- implement education and information programs to promote a safe and healthy workforce.
As a student of this course, you will have the opportunity to gain crucial lifelong learning and transferable generic skills, such as critical thinking, and problem-solving. You will be able to apply these skills to a range of employment opportunities and life situations to complement your disciplinary base.
|Core Units||6||Major Units||None|
You are required to complete six core units.
For information on the units, you could study as part of this course, visit the Handbook and select the "Course Structure" tab.
CREDIT TRANSFER INFORMATION
If you have already completed study relevant to the course you have enrolled in, you may be eligible for credit transfer.
QUALITY EDUCATION, WHEREVER YOU ARE
Between our reputation for learning, teaching and research, our renowned online education offering, and our status as Australia’s largest regional university, rest assured you will get a world-class education when you choose CQUniversity.
WIDE CHOICE OF STUDY AREAS
Select from allied health, accounting, aviation, business, digital media, education, engineering, hospitality, human resource management, information systems and technology, management, nursing, psychology, science, tourism, transport and safety sciences, social innovation and more to suit your personal interests and career goals.
EXPERIENCE AND SUPPORT
CQUniversity's strong focus on student experience ensures that you are prepared and supported on your student journey. Support services include on-campus orientation to assist your transition into university life, course and career advice, financial support options, study support, ongoing assistance through the Student Mentor program, counselling services, support for students with a disability or medical conditions, Indigenous student support and more.
A pioneer in online study, CQUniversity has more than two decades of experience providing high quality online learning experiences. Benefit from the flexibility to study online in your home country.
GRADUATE WORK READY
Our graduates are some of the most sought-after in Australia, due to our reputation for work-integrated learning and industry-aligned courses, and experience some of the nation's best graduate outcomes in terms of full-time employment and starting salary. CQUni is also regarded as the nation's most inclusive and engaged university, with our award-winning academic and research staff making a real impact on the communities and industries we serve.
You will have the opportunity to gain crucial life-long learning and transferable generic skills, such as critical thinking and problem-solving. You will be able to apply these skills to a range of employment opportunities and life situations.
|Term 1 - 2022||Available Online|
|Term 2 - 2022||Available Online|
IELTS Academic: 6.0 with no individual band score of less than 5.5
TOEFL Internet-based: Overall score of 75 with no score less than 17
Pearson Test of English Academic: Overall score of 54 with no score less than 46
To be eligible for entry into this course, applicants must demonstrate one of the following:
- A completed Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) equivalent Bachelor degree, or higher equivalent qualification; or
- A completed AQF equivalent Diploma in Occupational Health and Safety and a minimum of three years employment experience* in a safety science related role; or
- A minimum of five years management employment experience* in a safety science related role.
* Employment experience must be shown in a letter of employment which is presented on a company letterhead as well as signed and dated by a delegated authority. The letter must contain position title, duties performed and length of service.
English Language Proficiency Requirements:
If you were not born in Australia, Canada, New Zealand, United Kingdom, Ireland, South Africa or United States of America, you are required to meet the English Language Proficiency requirements set by the University. Applicants are required to provide evidence of completion of:
- A secondary qualification (Year 11 and 12, or equivalent), or
- An Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) diploma level qualification, or
- Bachelor level qualification study for a period of at least 23 years full time with a minimum overall GPA 4.0
completed within Australia, Canada, New Zealand, United Kingdom, South Africa, Ireland or United States of America, which will meet the English proficiency.
If you do not satisfy any of the above, you will need to undertake an English language proficiency test and achieve the following scores:
- An International English Language Testing System (IELTS Academic) overall band score of at least 6.0 with a minimum 5.5 in each subset; or
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) - Requires 550 or better overall and minimum TWE score of 4.5 (Paper Based Test), or 75 or better overall and no score less than 17 (Internet Based Test); or
- Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic) - Requires an overall score of 54 with no sub-score less than 46; or
- An Occupational English test with Grades A or B only n each of the four components.
English test results remain valid for no more than two years between final examination date and the date of commencement of study, and must appear on a single result certificate.
International Students should visit http://www.cqu.edu.au/international for further information
Each student will be assessed individually.
Students must be able to enter specific workplaces while attending the residential school.
Health RequirementsNo information available at this time.
Students who would like to join this course but have not attended university level studies previously and do not feel confident in their academic skills may benefit from enrolling in one of the CQUniversity bridging courses such as STEPS to prepare for their studies. Students who have not studied at university previously are also recommended to enrol in GOAS "Getting Optimistic About Study" a free unit which provides additional study skills support.
In the Graduate Diploma of OHS students will undertake core subjects in the areas of human factors, occupational health, risk management, occupational hygiene, OHS law, safety systems and accident phenomenology. This will see graduates enhancing their career advancement opportunities as specialists being highly employable in their field of expertise across both the private and public sectors as safety professionals.
Graduates may be eligible to apply for Chartered Professional Membership with the Safety Institute of Australia once they have completed the appropriate years of service.
Please note the following important information:
»» Fees are in Australian dollars A$.
»» Fees are indicative only and do not cover additional costs such as textbooks, accommodation, visa applications, OSHC, general living etc.
»» Fees are based on a full-time study load and the final fee payable will be determined by your selection of units and if any credit was awarded for recognition of prior learning.
»» The University reserves the right to amend fees at any time during the course. Fees are reviewed yearly and may increase in the following year to enable CQUniversity to continue to provide quality services and facilities to students.
»» Courses are subject to change at the discretion of the University.
»» It is your responsibility to make yourself aware of the entry requirements and prerequisites of the courses you wish to undertake.
»» The typical annual fee shown provides an estimate of the tuition fees for the first year of the course in the same academic year. This estimate assumes a full-time study load of 4 units per term (based on two terms).
»» International students holding an Australian Student Visa can only undertake courses online from an overseas location.
»» Courses undertaken online may be studied on a full-time or part-time mode.
»» International students studying on-campus in Australia may take no more than 33 per cent of their entire course by online education, and this option cannot be taken in its entirety during a compulsory term (Term 1 and Term 2).For more information, please submit your enquiry at www.cqu.edu.au/international-enquire
Please refer to our international course fees page.
There are no scholarships available for this course.