ICT30120 - Certificate III in Information Technology
|9 months full-time or 18 months part-time
Mackay City and Rockhampton City
If you are pursuing self-sufficiency as an advanced Information and Communications Technology (ICT) user or wanting to progress to higher-level IT qualifications, this course could be for you.
This qualification reflects the role of individuals who are competent in a range of Information and Communications Technology (ICT) roles, including animation, basic cloud computing, basic cyber awareness, digital media skills, generalist IT support services, networking, programming, systems and web development.
Individuals who work in these fields apply broad sets of skills, including foundational knowledge in critical thinking and customer service skills, to support a range of technologies, processes, procedures, policies, people and clients in a variety of work contexts.
This is a nationally recognised accredited course.
QUALITY EDUCATION, WHEREVER YOU ARE
Between our reputation for learning, teaching and research, our renowned online education offering, and our status as Australia’s largest regional university, rest assured you will get a world-class education when you choose CQUniversity.
A UNI THAT KNOWS CREDIBILITY IS KEY
In just 25 years, CQUniversity has achieved some amazing feats and emerged as one of Australia’s truly great universities. We have been ranked among the best in the world for our teaching and learning, and are internationally recognised for our focus on Social Innovation. Our graduates are some of the most sought-after in Australia, due to our reputation for work integrated learning and industry-aligned courses, and experience some of the nation’s best graduate outcomes in terms of full-time employment and starting salary. CQUni is also regarded as the nation’s most inclusive and engaged university, with our award-winning academic and research staff making a real impact on the communities and industries we serve.
A UNI THAT LEADS IN ONLINE EDUCATION
A pioneer in online study, CQUniversity has more than two decades of experience providing high quality online learning experiences across the country and even internationally. We work hard to deliver the latest techniques in online study, and have even planned our physical sites to provide more services to our widespread online study cohort.
A UNI THAT KNOWS CONVENIENCE COUNTS
CQUniversity is truly focused on our students’ needs, and that means responding to what, how and where they want to study. It is why we are now Australia’s largest regional university, with more than 20 metropolitan and regional locations across five states, delivering TAFE and university qualifications in on-campus, online and supported online modes to more than 30 000 students.
A UNI THAT KNOWS YOUR EXPERIENCE MATTERS
CQUniversity’s strong focus on student experience ensures that you are prepared and supported on your student journey. Support services include on-campus or online orientation to assist your transition into university life, course and career advice, financial support options, study support, ongoing assistance through the Student Mentor program, counselling services, support for students with disability or medical conditions, Indigenous student support and more.
Possible job titles relevant to this qualification include: IT Technician, Customer Service Representative (ICT), Client Support Officer (ICT) ,User Support Specialist, Help Desk Officer.
Structure & Availability
Standard Course StructureDuration:
9 months full-time or 18 months part-time
Application Development & Usage
|Operate application software packages
|Apply introductory programming techniques
Hardware & Operating Systems
|Connect internal hardware components
|Maintain standard operating environment
Managing Information in ICT
|Identify IP, ethics and privacy policies in ICT environments
|Securely manage personally identifiable information and workplace information
Small Business Networks
|Install and test network protocols
|Install, configure and secure a small office or home office network
|Develop and extend critical and creative thinking skills
Working in ICT
|Provide ICT advice to clients
|Work in a team
Business Network Administration
|Configure and administer network operating systems
This course has no residential schools.
Completion of the bksb (Basic Key Skills Builder) online literacy and numeracy assessment prior to enrolment, unless the student has completed an equal or higher level course.
The ICT Training Package does not specify any entry requirements but the level of difficulty of this course requires literacy and numeracy skills at ACSF Level 4 for both English and Maths.
Literacy and numeracy skills alone are often a poor indictor of likely success. Prospective students should assess themselves against the following requirements when deciding to study this course. The following are examples of the inherent requirements that are needed to achieve the core learning outcomes of the course:
- Communication skills (verbal, non-verbal, written and technology): you will need to effectively communicate in English and produce written assessment in a coherent manner with correct grammar and punctuation
- Cognitive abilities (knowledge and cognitive skills, literacy and numeracy): you will need to perform basic arithmetic
- Information and Communication Technology (ICT) abilities: you will need to competently use a desktop operating system such as Microsoft Windows or Mac OS X, an Internet browser, an email client, and competently use productivity software such as Microsoft Office
- Although some aspects of discipline software will be learnt as part of your course, you will need to be able to independently learn to use features of software
- Sensory abilities (visual, auditory and tactile), strength and mobility (gross motor skills and fine motor skills): you will need to perceive fine detail on a computer screen and interact with a computer through devices such as a mouse, touchscreen or keyboard. Some units require physical movement and installation of computer equipment and components such as internal components and networking equipment and cables. You would be expected to either perform or supervise the movement and installation of small computer equipment
- Sustainable performance: you will need to be able to concentrate for at least 2 hours at a time
- Interpersonal engagement: you will need to be able to work productively in a team, build rapport with future clients and admit mistakes
- Ethical behaviour: you will need to demonstrate honesty and integrity in academic and professional practice
- Behavioural stability: you will need to interact with people from a wide range of cultures in a calm and composed manner in difficult situations
- Legal compliance: you will need to comply with the policies and practices of the ICT business organisation in which you find employment.
Fees & Scholarships
2024 Indicative Fees
|Fee for service
|Fee for service per unit
|TAFE Priority Skills Fund/Training Program fee per unit
|Co-Contribution Concessional Fee
|Co-Contribution Fee per unit
|Co-Contribution Concessional Fee per unit
|RPL Fee for service per Unit
Please refer to the VET student fees price lists, eligibility criteria applies for subsidised funding. If you are unsure please call us on 13 27 86.
At CQUniversity, we believe higher education should be for everyone. No matter your situation, we know that everyone needs a helping hand from time to time, and we are proud to offer a wide range of scholarships, bursaries and stipends.
Our scholarships could help you pay for things like relocation, living on campus, laptops and technology, childcare, study and living expenses, travel and more.
How to apply
Step 1: Get a Unique Student Identifier (USI)
Visit usi.gov.au to create a USI or find an existing one.
Step 2: Prepare your eligibility documentation
So that we can assess your application and eligibility for Government funding options, you’ll need to upload documentation as part of your application. You will need to provide confirmation of identity with the following documentation:
- Queensland Residency and Date of Birth. (e.g. Queensland Driver’s License photo must be of the back and front of the license)
- Australian or New Zealand citizenship or Australian permanent residency (e.g. Medicare Card or Birth Certificate)
For further information on eligible documentation, visit Apply for TAFE Certificates and Diplomas.
To fast-track your application, make sure you provide a clear photo showing all the information and upload it with your application.
Step 3: Apply Online
Our easy-to-use online application system will guide you through the process of applying for a TAFE course. If you need help along the way, call us on 13 27 86.
Click on the Apply button below to start your application.