|Year of Study||4th/Final Year|
|Citizenship||Australian Citizen; Permanent Resident; Permanent Humanitarian Visa; New Zealand Citizen|
|Study Region||Townsville Queensland|
|Study Mode||All modes|
|Study Load||Full time|
To be eligible to receive the CQUniCares My Fortress Townsville Financial Planning Scholarship, an applicant must meet the following criteria:
- Be enrolled or intending to enrol at CQUniversity in Term 1, 2024;
- Be studying the Financial Planning Major in of the following courses:
- Bachelor of Accounting [CQ01]
- Bachelor of Business [CL86]
- Bachelor of Property [CF56]
- Bachelor of Accounting/ Bachelor of Business [CQ91];
- Live in the Townsville region (postal code range: 4806 – 4822, 4849 – 4851);
- Be enrolled with a minimum term study load of 18 credit points or more;
- Be studying in 2023 the final academic year of the course;
- Be an Australian Citizen, Permanent Resident, holder of a Humanitarian Visa or New Zealand Citizen with a permanent home address in Australia;
- Be enrolled at Census Date in Term 1, 2024;
- Not be receiving multiple CQUniversity Scholarships that exceed the annual value of $10,000.
The selected scholar will be expected to complete a one (1)-month work placement at My Fortress Townsville during 2024. Therefore, the second scholarship payment will only be released if the work experience has been completed. The successful recipient will also not be eligible to be considered for additional CQUniversity donor-funded scholarships for the full duration of their scholarship.
Applicants are required to:
- provide a 500-word personal statement addressing the question:
How would a CQUniCares My Fortress Townsville Financial Planning Scholarship assist with your studies?
Expectations of recipients
As a scholarship recipient, you will be asked to participate in a feedback survey. You may also be approached to assist with promoting CQUniversity’s Scholarship program by sharing your experiences as a recipient through testimonials, media or invitations to attend events such as Orientation or Open Days. If you do not wish to be publicly recognised or be involved in the above initiatives, please advise the Philanthropy Team via email@example.com immediately following acceptance.
Ongoing eligibility requirements
In addition to the eligibility criteria, the successful applicant must:
- Maintain a minimum GPA of 4.0 each term
- Remain enrolled in the course as at Census Date each term with a minimum study load of 12 credit points.
Please note that failure to meet the continuing eligibility criteria may result in the scholarship being cancelled.
Students may request a deferral of their scholarship in special circumstances. This request must be made through the Student Scholarships Team and should occur in conjunction with an official Leave of Absence request to the University. If approved, a scholarship may only be deferred for a maximum period of two terms (excludes Term 3). Continuing students must still maintain a minimum GPA of 4.0 in the term directly before taking a Leave of Absence.
Public recognition and your involvement
As funds for your scholarship have been generously donated, CQUniversity is required to share your name, course/ study area and adherence to ongoing eligibility requirements (including academic performance) with the donor of your scholarship.
As your scholarship has been made possible through a generous bequest left by the late Jon Ford, we would appreciate your support in helping to honour Jon’s legacy. You will be approached to share your story and the impact your scholarship will have in helping you to complete your studies. This may be through traditional or social media and online.
If you do not wish to be publicly recognised or be involved in the above initiatives, please advise the Philanthropy Team via firstname.lastname@example.org immediately following acceptance.
Payment of scholarship
The successful applicant is required to enter their current financial institution details (banking details) into their MyCQU for payment to occur. This must be done prior to Term 1 Census Date to avoid delays.
Payments are based on term study loads as follows:
- $2,500/term for study load of 18 credit points or more
Payment will be made to the successful applicant in Week 6 after final post Census Date eligibility checks each term. The second scholarship payment will only be released if the (one) 1-month work placement has been completed during 2024 at My Fortress Townsville.
Payments will be credited electronically to the student’s nominated bank account.
*Disclaimer - Students may be required to provide further documentation to support their application. This can include the following:
- Written submission
- Documentation demonstrating academic achievement or unofficial transcript
- Documentation demonstrating community involvement, exemplary work or demonstration of leadership
- Documentation demonstrating low personal or family income/ financial need
- Confirmation of Identity or 2 x Cultural References + a Statutory Declaration (if relevant to scholarship)
You may wish to consider your aspirations following graduation, as well as your plans for giving back and supporting our regions.
Applicants will be assessed on the application and may be required to provide a written submission of no more than 500 words addressing the following:
- Tell us about yourself:
- Name/ course/ interests
- You may wish to also share your current situation, challenges you have experienced or overcome, as well as any examples of success, leadership, community, or volunteering.
- How will a scholarship help you to overcome financial barriers to success?
- You may wish to further explain your current situation and how a scholarship will assist you in managing general living and study expenses.
- What are your career goals and how will a scholarship assist you in achieving your educational objectives?
All requests for further information to support applications will be sent to the student email account. Failure to supply further information will deem the application incomplete and will not be considered.
To apply for the CQUniCares My Fortress Townsville Financial Planning Scholarship:
Complete a Scholarship Online Application Form, ensuring all supporting documentation is completed and attached as outlined here
- For Current students (applicants who have already have a Student ID number) apply through MyCQU. You will need to log in with your student details.
- For Future students (applicants who have applied or are intending to apply to study at CQUniversity but not yet received or accepted an offer) apply now.
A section panel, consisting of representatives from CQUniversity will be formed to determine the successful applicant.
Scholarships at CQUniversity are highly competitive. All applications are ranked based on how well applicants address the selection criteria, and in comparison, to other applicants.
Being eligible or being a recipient in the past is no guarantee of having a successful application.
A scholarship will only be offered where there is an applicant of sufficient merit.
The Student Scholarships Team are unable to provide updates to students on the progress of their individual application until all assessments are completed.Students will be notified of the outcome of their application via their student email accounts only. Decisions are final.
For over 33 years My Fortress has been providing expert financial advice to people around Australia and has grown into one of Australia’s leading financial planning businesses. At My Fortress, our experienced team offer professional, tailored advice to suit your individual needs and circumstances, regardless of your financial situation or life stage. Our Financial Advisers work with you to create personalised financial plans that create, grow and protect your wealth.