Take advantage of Australian and Queensland Government funding that covers the cost of tuition in a range of high-priority qualifications for eligible applicants. You will still be required to cover related costs such as uniform and resources for your course.
Get ready to power your future with fee-free TAFE at CQU.
The TAFE that's powered by a uni.
Take advantage of fee-free training on a wide range of certificates and diplomas.
Make it your time with TAFE at CQU.
Find a FEE-FREE TAFE course
Make it your time with a FEE-FREE TAFE certificate or diploma. Check your eligibility, find your course and choose the TAFE that's powered by a Uni to upskill, retrain or get started today.
FEE-FREE TAFE is designed to help fill the skills gap by enabling Queenslanders to seek new or enhance existing skills in a range of high-priority job areas. Provided you meet the eligibility criteria you can take advantage of fee-free funding regardless of your current employment status or the number of qualifications you have previously completed.
To be eligible, you must:
- permanently reside in Queensland
- be an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident (includes humanitarian entrant), temporary resident with the necessary visa and work permits on the pathway to permanent residency, or a New Zealand citizen
- aged 15 years and over and not be at school
- not currently be admitted or enrolled in training (not including foundation skills training).
- student is eligible for one Fee Free TAFE qualification only
- Some courses may require the student to be an existing worker in the related industry or hold a prerequisite qualification.
Applicants will be required to provide documentation to support their eligibility for subsidy. For more information regarding eligibility documentation visit Apply for TAFE Certificate and Diploma.
Individuals who hold a visa must also ensure their visa subclass is eligible for subsidised training.
- BSB30120 – Certificate III in Business
- *BSB40320 – Certificate IV in Entrepreneurship and New Business
- BSB40920 – Certificate IV in Project Management Practice
- BSB50120 – Diploma of Business
- BSB40520 – Certificate IV in Leadership and Management
- BSB50420 – Diploma of Leadership and Management
- BSB50820 – Diploma of Project Management
*Student must be the owner, manager or employee of a small business Queensland.
- CHC30121 – Certificate III in Early Childhood Education and Care
- CHC30221 – Certificate III in School Based Education Support
- CHC40221 – Certificate IV in School Based Education Support
- CHC50121 – Diploma of Early Childhood Education and Care
- TAE40116 – Certificate IV in Training and Assessment
A Second Fee-Free TAFE qualification is permitted only for students who have already completed CHC30121 - Certificate III in Early Childhood Education and Care under Fee-Free TAFE.
- **CHCSS00070 – Assist Clients with Medication Skill Set
- CHC32015 – Certificate III in Community Services
**This skill set has been endorsed by industry as suitable for individuals who hold a qualification at Certificate III level or higher in an area involving direct client care or support provision. Students must be currently employed in the Community Services or Health Services industry.
- *CHCSS00070 – Assist Clients with Medication Skill Set
- HLT35021 – Certificate III in Dental Assisting
*This skill set has been endorsed by industry as suitable for individuals who hold a qualification at Certificate III level or higher in an area involving provision of direct client care or support. Students must be currently employed in the Community Services or Health Services industry.
More about FEE-FREE TAFE
From 1 January 2023 until 31 December 2023, FEE-FREE TAFE will be available to eligible Queenslanders at CQUniversity TAFE. This exclusive funding is due to the Australian and Queensland Governments taking action to deliver approximately 37,000 Fee Free TAFE and vocational education places for Queenslanders in 2023.
This funding is applicable to unit enrolments. Any gap in your studies may result in you losing access to this funding. This funding is limited and subject to change. Please carefully consider your training options before committing to a training course as this may exhaust your entitlement to further Queensland Government subsidised training.
Students from the following priority groups are strongly encouraged to apply:
- First Nations Australians
- young people aged 17-24
- people out of work or receiving income support
- unpaid carers
- women facing economic insecurity
- women undertaking study in non-traditional fields
- people with disability.
Fee-Free TAFE 2024 is coming soon
The Australian Government has committed to delivering a further 300,000 Fee-Free TAFE places across Australia, over three years, from January 2024. Register for updates.
Frequently Asked Questions
In 2024, there will be training places available in the Diploma of Nursing thanks to the Queensland and Australian Government’s Fee-Free TAFE. CQUniversity is currently awaiting confirmation regarding Fee-Free TAFE eligibility criteria for 2024. We encourage students to submit their applications for the Diploma of Nursing, and once confirmation is received, CQUniversity will reassess enrolled students to determine their eligibility for Fee-Free TAFE.
Students are only eligible to complete one Fee-Free TAFE funded qualification from 2023 to 2026. If you do not complete the course or undertake a skill set, you can still complete a full qualification using this funding.
We will publish further details about what places or qualifications may be available in Queensland under Fee-Free TAFE in 2024 once they're finalised.
More TAFE subsidies
TAFE Priority Skills Fund
If you are a first time TAFE student, or if you already have a qualification, there are dozens of subsidised courses to choose from.
TAFE Subsidised Training
Reduce the fees you pay with government subsidised training, from free to low-fee TAFE course options.
Certificate 3 Guarantee
If you are looking to start your first TAFE course there are many great courses to choose from at reduced cost.
Higher Level Skills (HLS)
Find out more about advancing your skills, at a reduced cost, through our Certificate IV and Diploma courses.