Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF) and SA-HELP
- 2019 Student Services and Amenities Fee
- 2018 Student Services and Amenities Fee
- Archived Student Services & Amenities Fee Schedules
What is the student services and amenities fee?
In October 2011, the Australian Parliament passed the Higher Education Legislation Amendment (Student Services and Amenities) Bill, allowing universities and other higher education providers to charge students a compulsory fee to fund and improve services and amenities of a non-academic nature.
CQUniversity introduced a compulsory Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF) from Term 1, 2012.
Who pays the fee and how much is it?
Degree-level students will be charged the Student Services & Amenities Fee (SSAF) as per the Student Services & Amenities Fee Schedule (use the link above to access the schedule).
In 2017, the maximum Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF) will be $294.00. The fee is payable by all students in award courses; e.g. Bachelor of Business, Graduate Diploma of Asset and Maintenance Management and Doctor of Philosophy, and will be charged at:
- $147 per term for full-time students (students enrolled in 0.375 EFTSL* or more in a term)
- $110.25 per term for part-time students (students enrolled in 0.374 EFTSL* or less in a term)
*EFTSL (Equivalent Full Time Student Load) is detailed on your Enrolment Advice in MyCentre.
The due date for payment is Census date of each Term (please refer to the Key Dates). The fee will be detailed on your fee notice available in MyCentre.
Can I defer payment of the fee or get a loan?
Eligible students who do not wish to pay the SSAF upfront can request Commonwealth assistance and defer payment of the fee through the Higher Education Loan Program (HELP) known as SA-HELP.
Eligible students may choose to:
- pay the full amount of the SSAF upfront
- pay some of the SSAF upfront and defer payment of the balance as a HELP debt to be repaid through the Australian Taxation Office
- defer payment of the full amount as a HELP debt which will then be repaid through the Australian Taxation Office.
To access SA-HELP you must:
- be an Australian citizen, OR a permanent humanitarian visa holder who will be resident in Australia for the duration of the unit of study, OR
- be a New Zealand citizen who is the holder of a Special Category Visa and who is not also a permanent resident of Australia who meets other eligibility criteria and who will be resident in Australia for the duration of the unit; AND
- submit a valid Request for SA-HELP assistance form and provide your Tax File Number by the Census date of the first term that you choose to defer payment of the SSAF.
Full details are available in the SA-HELP information booklet - please be sure to read the booklet before completing a Request for FEE-HELP assistance form.
The Request for SA-HELP assistance form is available online in MyCentre. Details on how to submit a Request for SA-HELP assistance form can be found here. Alternatively, if you require a paper form, please contact the Student Advice Team: 13 2786, or +61 7 4930 9000 if calling from overseas. Forms must be submitted by the census date.
Failure to submit a valid Request for SA-HELP assistance form by the census date of the term in which it is to take effect means that you are not eligible for SA-HELP in that term and will owe the full Student Services and Amenities Fee to CQUniversity.
Students do not have to apply for SA-HELP if they intend to pay the SSAF upfront. However, if a form is not submitted by Census date, and an upfront payment is not received, the outstanding fee cannot be deferred as a HELP debt. The outstanding fee will be classed as an unpaid debt and will go through the University Collections process. If this occurs it may impact on your study. Please refer to the Policy website and search for 'Collections Policy' for further details.
Loans may be available for currently enrolled domestic students of CQUniversity to help pay living or study expenses.
For information about eligibility for a student loan, related policies, conditions and application forms, please refer to the Policy website and search for 'Special Assistance for Students – Student Loan Scheme Policy.' If you have further queries, please contact the Student Advice Team on 13 27 86, or +61 7 .4930 9000 if calling from overseas.
Important information for students who withdraw after Census date
Please note that the SSAF is not refundable if paid upfront and cannot be remitted if deferred if students drop their enrolments after the term census date even if they are subsequently approved for Removal of Financial Liability due to special circumstances.
Additional Information about the SSAF is available at the web sites listed below