Five CQUniversity-trained vocational education and training students will go up against other Australian apprentices at the 2023 WorldSkills Nationals competition in Melbourne from 17-19 August.
The event, to be held at the Melbourne Convention & Exhibition Centre will see apprentices and tradespeople compete in numerous industry areas, including automotive mechanical, electrical installation, hospitality and more.
The CQU-trained apprentices are:
- Joshua Pedersen of Boyne Island, who will compete in the Electrical Control category
- Joshua Hurst of Tannum Sands, in Electrical Installation
- Max Woods of Gladstone, in the Fitting category
- Dirk Holmes of Gladstone, in Heavy Vehicle
- David McGrath of Gracemere, in Turning.
CQU Deputy Vice-President, VET & Business Development Peter Heilbuth congratulated the competitors and wished them well at the event.
“It’s great to see that CQU’s training and the Central Queensland region will be represented on a national stage,” he said.
“These apprentices have done exceptionally well to get as far as they have in the competition and CQU wishes them the best of luck.”
The overall winners will be announced at an awards ceremony on Sunday, 20 August. For more information visit WorldSkills Australia.