Student Visa

As an international student, you will need a valid Australian visa to study at CQUniversity. Once you have received your Confirmation of Enrolment (COE), you will be able to apply for your student visa through the Department of Home Affairs online visa application system.

To ensure you arrive on time, the Department of Home Affairs recommends you submit your visa application no later than 6 weeks before your classes commence. Processing times vary depending on your nationality, so it is best to prepare early. Once your visa is granted, you should arrange your travel to Australia.

On 1 July 2016, the Department of Home Affairs implemented the Simplified Student Visa Framework (SSVF). Under this Framework, CQUniversity is required to ensure that students who apply for admission are both Genuine Temporary Entrants to Australia and genuine students who have access to sufficient funds to support themselves.

This means CQUniversity must be satisfied that:

  • Your main purpose of coming to Australia on a student visa is to study
  • You have the required English proficiency
  • You accept responsibility for obtaining your student visa and that you will comply with the conditions on your visa
  • You have genuine access to sufficient funds to cover your tuition costs, Overseas Student Health Insurance, return airfares and living expenses for Yourself and any dependents
  • You have a genuine understanding of your intended course and its structure, the total cost of your tuition and living expenses in Australia and that you are able to articulate the advantages of studying in Australia compared to your home country and how this investment will benefit your future.

Please note: CQUniversity has the right to refuse an application if you fail to meet the Genuine Temporary Entrant requirements of the SSVF. Further, the Department of Home Affairs may still refuse your application if they are not satisfied that you are a genuine student, have access to sufficient funds or if you do not meet health and character requirements

CQUniversity has an obligation under the ESOS Act and the National Code of Practice to ensure all students under the age of 18 have appropriate accommodation and welfare arrangements in place for the entire period the student is enrolled and/or under the age of 18.

If you are under the age of 18 you have three options in obtaining a visa to study in Australia:

  1. Your carer applies for a Student Guardian Visa to come to Australia and provide welfare for you during your stay in Australia. The Department of Home Affairs will approve these arrangements.
  2. Reside with and be cared for by a Department of Home Affairs approved relative living in Australia. The Department of Home Affairs will approve these arrangements.
  3. Reside in accommodation and receive welfare through the following CQUniversity approved providers. They are:
    Australian Homestay Network (AHN)
    Apply directly to Australian Homestay Network via the online process at 'Join as a Student'.
    ISA Guardian & Welfare Services
    Apply directly to ISA Guardian & Welfare Services via the online process

If you choose option 3, CQUniversity will need to receive confirmation of approved accommodation and confirmation of approved welfare from both Australian Homestay Network and ISA Guardian & Welfare Service respectively, CQUniversity's Admissions Team will then send you your Confirmation of Enrolment (COE) and Confirmation of Appropriate Accommodation Letter (CAAW) to facilitate your application for a student visa.

As a visa holder, it is your responsibility to be aware of your visa conditions. Failure to comply with these conditions could result in the cancellation of your visa. These conditions include (but are not limited to):

  • Complete your course within the duration specified on your COE
  • Maintain satisfactory academic progress and attendance
  • Maintain approved Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) while in Australia
  • Remain with the principal education provider for six (6) calendar months, unless issued a letter of release from the provider to attend another institution
  • notify your training provider of your Australian address and any subsequent changes of address within 7 days.

Please visit the Department of Home Affairs website for a full list of student visa conditions.