CG01 - Diploma of Business Studies
At a glance
If you want to further develop your skills across a wide variety of business functions the Diploma of Business Studies may be for you.
|Study modes||On-Campus, Online|
|Rank||OP: 17 SR: 62 ATAR: 53.35|
|Availability||Brisbane; Melbourne; Rockhampton North; Sydney; Online Study|
|Duration||1 year full-time, 2 years part-time|
|Intake dates||March, July, November|
|QTAC Code||BDG: 813151; BNE: 893151; CNS: 823159, GLT: 833151; MKY: 843151; ROK: 853151; TSV: 803159; Online: 853155|
|VTAC Code||MEL: 1700210091, Online: 1700110091|
|UAC Code||SYD: 160150; Online: 160151|
* OP/SR/ATAR details provided on this page are from main round offers for Term 1 2018. They represent the minimum competitive rank that applications were considered for entry to a course. Entry to a course is competitive and a cut off score lower than the minimum competitive rank may have been needed to gain entry to a particular course. Entry ranks vary from year to year so are provided as a historical guide of past performance.**
Units offered in term three are available by online study only.
Courses at Cairns and Townsville may be delivered by a combination of on-campus study, workshops, residential schools and online study.
Completion of the Diploma of Business Studies will prepare you to pursue employment opportunities in roles such as:
- office manager
- project officer
- personal assistant
- executive officer.
The Diploma of Business Studies at CQUniversity is designed to develop your existing business skills and prepare you for a senior administrative role. It may also be suitable if you wish to gain credit for further study at university.
Become more effective at work by learning diverse managerial level business skills and building on your existing knowledge.
Your studies will focus on developing the valuable skills needed to work in a senior administrative role including how to effectively manage meetings, conferences, human resources and your professional development needs.
In addition, you have the opportunity to gain skills in administration, marketing and finance, skills that are highly desired by employers.
The Diploma of Business Studies has a practical focus to ensure you are equipped with the skills needed for employment in a wide range of supervisory and management positions within large companies and small businesses.
Benefit from the flexibility to study by online study, allowing you gain practical experience and combine work and study.
Why Study at CQUniversity
If you want to learn how business works, and like to strategise and manage, a course in business may be for you. There are no limitations to where a business qualification can take you. Choose from a broad spectrum of fields, and develop highly desired, transferable skills such as team work and communication.
Wide choice of study areas
Select from arts, accounting, business, hospitality, human resource management, information systems,management, marketing, professional communication, property, public relations, retail, supply chain management, tourism, warehousing and more to suit your personal interests and career goals.
Benefit from the flexibility to study full-time or part-time and either on-campus or by online study. Choose from a number of majors, minors and elective units to individually tailor your learning to suit you.
Graduate work ready
At CQUniversity, we provide the right mix of theory and practical experiences to ensure you graduate work ready, making you attractive to employers and helping to broaden your career opportunities.
You will have the opportunity to gain crucial life-long learning and transferable generic skills, such as critical thinking and problem solving. You will be able to apply these skills to a range of employment opportunities and life situations.
Postgraduate and research
CQUniversity offers a range of postgraduate and research courses.
Structure and assessment
For detailed information regarding the unit structure and core units, please visit the CQUniversity handbook.
For example units you could study as part of the Diploma of Business Studies course please click here.
As CQUniversity is committed to providing quality, up-to-date and relevant education, please note units are refreshed regularly and may not be an exact indication of unit availability for your study. Please call 13 27 86 if you have specific questions regarding unit information regarding your specific application.
Credit transfer information
If you have already completed study relevant to the course you have enrolled in, you may be eligible for credit transfer.
Successful completion of an Australian Year 12 or equivalent; or completion of AQF Certificate IV or equivalent.
Find out more about academic requirements.
|IELTS Academic||6.0 with no individual band score of less than 5.5|
|TOEFL Internet-based||Overall score of 75 with no score less than 17|
|Pearson Test of English Academic||Overall score of 54 with no score less than 46|
OP: 17 , SR: 62 , ATAR: 53.35
OP = Overall Position (QLD school leavers), SR = Selection Rank (mature age students), ATAR = Australian Tertiary Admission Rank
To successfully complete your studies, you may be required to demonstrate that you can meet course requirements associated with your course. For more information on these course requirements please view the ‘Course Requirements’ section found under the ‘What do I need to start?’ page under the ‘Getting Started’ tab of the Student Handbook . Additional information on student placements and work integrated learning can also be found in the Student Handbook, on the ‘Course Features’ page under ‘Getting Started’.
Fees and scholarships
Estimated first year fee: $27 420
Estimated full course cost: $27 420
At CQUniversity, we are committed to making education accessible to everyone. That is why on top of offering multiple pathways for entry to our courses and a generous variety of scholarships, we also offer highly competitive fees. When referring to course fees for international students, please note the following:
- Fees are in Australian dollars AU$.
- Fees are indicative only and do not cover additional costs such as textbooks, accommodation, visa applications, OSHC, general living etc.
- The final fee payable will be determined by your selection of units and if any credit was awarded for recognition of prior learning.
- The University reserves the right to amend fees at any time during the course. Fees are reviewed yearly and may increase in the following year to enable CQUniversity to continue to provide quality services and facilities to students.
- Courses are subject to change at the discretion of the University.
- It is your responsibility to make yourself aware of the entry requirements and prerequisites of the courses you wish to undertake.
- The typical annual fee shown provides an estimate of the tuition fees for the first year of the course. This estimate assumes a full-time study load.
- The typical total course fee is an estimate of the tuition fees for the whole course. This estimate is based on typical unit enrolments in each year of the course, with indexation of the international subject fees at six per cent per annum for every additional year of study. Total course fees assume students complete no more than the course duration indicated.
- International students can only undertake courses online from an overseas location.
- Courses undertaken online may be studied on a full-time or part-time mode.
- International students studying on campus in Australia may only take 25 per cent of their entire course by online study, and this option cannot be taken in its entirety during a compulsory term (Term 1 and Term 2).
You may refer to the International Courses and Fees 2019 to see the full list.
Please see our Scholarships site for scholarships that you may be interested in.
How to Apply
iStart, our easy to use online application system for international students will guide you through the process of applying for a course at CQUniversity Australia.
Yes. Registering with iStart will allow you to do the following:
- Complete your application
- Monitor the status of your application
- Receive an offer
- Accept your offer.
Yes, iStart can accept applications for all courses including English, vocational, undergraduate, postgraduate coursework and Research Higher Degrees (RHD).
You can apply to study English language only, or for both English language and academic course at the same time.
If your chosen academic course is available by online study, you can choose Distance Education on the relevant screen when you apply.
You can only submit one application. If you change your mind about the course you are applying for, please log into iStart and send an email to the International Admissions Team through the system or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can apply for credit within iStart. Instructions are provided on the relevant screen.
You will need to provide certified* copies of the supporting documents below:
- Academic transcripts
- Translations of academic transcripts (if original documents are in a language other than English)
- Personal identification document e.g. passport
- Evidence that you meet the English requirement e.g. an English test result.
If you do not have your latest academic transcript, please provide a copy of your most recent academic transcript. The International Admissions Team will be in contact if they need further information or documentation.
* A certified copy is a photocopy of the original document with a certification stamp that includes the certifier's printed name, title or position, signature and date of notary. It may be from a Justice of the Peace, Commissioner of Declaration, a contracted agent of CQUniversity or the issuing authority of institution.
There is no application fee.
Yes. During the application, you will be able to indicate if you would like to apply for an International Student Scholarship. You may find more information on the International Student Scholarship, including the selection criteria on our website.
No. To apply for a Research Higher Degree (RHD) scholarship, you must use the Research Scholarship online application form. Please check what is available on the Research Scholarships page or email email@example.com with any queries. Please note that the RHD scholarship rounds are only open twice a year.
Research Higher Degree candidates apply via iStart with an Expression of Interest which asks you to select your course and location, along with providing a brief description of your proposed research topic. Expression of Interest must be submitted by the prospective candidate.
Depending upon the outcome of your Expression of Interest, you may be invited to submit a full application for admission as a research higher degree candidate. The University reserves the right to refuse admission to any applicant.
Once we receive all required supporting documents, it will take approximately 10 to 14 working days to process.
You can log into iStart to check the status of your application. You will receive an email from the International Admissions Team notifying you of the outcome of your application.
Please email the International Admissions Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please email the International Admissions Team at email@example.com describing the issue.
For further information
If you have any questions about the course, please call us on 13 27 86.
You can also register your interest to stay up-to-date with course developments, application timelines and events happening in your area.