Australian South Sea Islander Community Foundation Scholarships
The purpose of the ASSICF is to improve the educational opportunities available to Australian South Sea Islanders by providing funds to participating universities to make available scholarships for tertiary education.
Scholarship Value: Up to $10,000
Length of Scholarship: 1 (One) year
Opening Date: 15 June 2018
Closing Date: 11 July 2018
|Study Level||Diploma; Advanced Diploma; Associate Degree; Bachelor; Undergraduate|
|Year of Study||Future/First Year; First Year; 2nd year; 3rd year|
|Ethnicity||South Sea Islander|
|Study Mode||All modes|
|Study Load||All loads|
To be eligible to receive an Australian South Sea Islander Community Foundation Scholarship, an applicant must meet the following criteria:
- Be intending to enrol or being enrolled in an Undergraduate course at CQUniversity in 2018
- Be a direct descendant of the South Sea Islanders who were brought into Queensland between 1863 and 1904 and worked as indentured labourers
- A member of the Australian South Sea Islander community
- Have not previously completed an undergraduate degree
- An Australian Citizen
- Not be receiving another Donor Funded** Scholarship
**Donor Funded: refers to a scholarship which is only available to CQUniversity students, funded by an individual or organisation external to the University (excluding Federal Government funded Commonwealth and Equity Scholarships)
- Career goals and how the scholarship will assist you in achieving your educational objectives;
- Extracurricular activities – especially community and volunteering activities and demonstration of leadership:
- Life experiences
Applicants will need to include a letter of support from a registered Australian South Sea Islander organisation.
Preference will be given to applicants who do not identify as an Australian Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander.
The successful applicant is required to enter their current financial institution details (banking details) into their MyCentre for payment to occur. This must be done prior to Census Date Term 2 2018 to avoid delays.
Payment will be made to the successful applicant in Week 6 each term after final post Census date eligibility checks each term. Payments will be credited electronically to the student’s nominated bank account.
In addition to the ongoing eligibility requirements, the successful applicants must:
*Maintain a minimum average GPA of 4.0 each Term;
*Remain enrolled in the course as at Census date of each Term for a minimum of two academic units each term.
Please note that failure to meet the continuing eligibility criteria may result in the Scholarship being revoked.
Scholars who will maintain a satisfactory GPA and maintain eligibility criteria will have the option to be considered mid 2019 for a second, one year only, scholarship. The value of that Scholarship will vary.
- Written submission
- Letter of support from a registered Australian South Sea Islander organisation
- Evidence of academic achievement (examples may include Unofficial transcript (for current university students), Senior Certificate (for highschool leavers) or qualifications or academic awards received previously.
- Read and understand the scholarship information above, specifically the eligibility, selection criteria and supporting documentation needed for your online application.
- Scholarships will open at 9am AEST on 15th June, 2018 and ALL applications must be submitted online by the closing date, 5pm AEST, Wednesday, 11th July, 2018.
- Complete a Scholarship Online Application Form, ensuring all supporting documentation is attached as outlined in the Supporting Documentation section above. Further information may be required to assess your application. These requests for further information will be sent directly to student email accounts (current students) or nominated email accounts for future students who are not yet enrolled. Responses to requests for further information must be received before 5pm AEST on the closing date. Failure to supply requested documents will result in your application being incomplete. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- For current students (who already have a Student ID number) here to apply through MyCentre. You will need to log in with your student details.
- For future students (applicants who have applied or are intending to apply to study at CQUniversity but not yet received or accepted an offer) click here to apply
This scholarship is provided by the Australian South Sea Islander Community Foundation (ASSICF), a sub fund of the Queensland Community Foundation (QCF), in partnership with CQUniversity.