Australian South Sea Islander Community Foundation Scholarships
The purpose of the ASSICF is to improve the educational opportunities available to Australian South Sea Islanders by providing funds to participating universities to make available scholarships for tertiary education.
Scholarship Value: Up to $10 000 ($5000 payments for full-time students / $2500 payments for part-time students)
Length of Scholarship: 1 year initially Scholars who will maintain a satisfactory GPA and maintain eligibility criteria will have the option to be considered mid 2020 for a second, one year only, scholarship. The value of that Scholarship will vary.
Number Available: 2 (Two)
Opening Date: 20 May 2019
Closing Date: 05 July 2019
|Year of Study||Future/First Year; First Year; 2nd year; 3rd year|
|Ethnicity||South Sea Islander|
|Study Mode||All modes|
|Study Load||All loads|
To be eligible to receive an Australian South Sea Islander Community Foundation Scholarship, an applicant must meet the following criteria:
- Be intending to enrol or being enrolled at CQUniversity in 2019
- Be enrolled in an undergraduate course
- Be a direct descendant of the South Sea Islanders who were brought into Queensland between 1863 and 1904 and worked as indentured labourers
- Be a member of the Australian South Sea Islander community
- Preference will be given to applicants who do not identify as an Australian Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander
- Preference will be given to students who demonstrate academic merit and demonstrate a financial need.
- Have not previously completed an undergraduate degree
- Be an Australian Citizen
- Not be receiving another Donor Funded** Scholarship
**Donor Funded: refers to a scholarship which is only available to CQUniversity students, funded by an individual or organisation external to the University (excluding Federal Government funded Commonwealth Scholarships)
Applicants will be assessed on the application form and a written submission of no more than 500 words addressing the following:
- Career goals and how the Scholarship will assist you in achieving your educational objectives;
- Extracurricular activities – especially community and volunteering activities and demonstration of leadership.
- Life experiences
This scholarship is provided by the Australian South Sea Islander Community Foundation (ASSICF), a sub fund of the Queensland Community Foundation (QCF), in partnership with CQUniversity.
In addition to the ongoing eligibility requirements, the successful applicants must:
- Maintain a minimum average GPA of 4.0 each term;
- Remain enrolled in the course as at Census date with a study load of at least 12 credit points each term
Please note that failure to meet the continuing eligibility criteria may result in the Scholarship being cancelled.
Scholars who will maintain a satisfactory GPA and maintain eligibility criteria will have the option to be considered mid-2020 for a second, one year only, scholarship. The value of that Scholarship will vary.
Students may request a deferral of their scholarship in special circumstances. This request must be made through the Scholarships and Financial Assistance Team and should occur in conjunction with an official Leave of Absence request to the University. If approved, a scholarship may only be deferred for a maximum period of two terms only (excludes Term 3). Students must still maintain a minimum GPA of 4.0 in the term directly before taking a Leave of Absence.
In special circumstances, a student may also make a request to transfer their scholarship to an alternative course of study. This request must be through the Scholarships and Financial Assistance Team and is at the discretion of the scholarship donor.
As a donor scholarship recipient, you may be approached to assist with positively promoting the CQUniversity Scholarships program by sharing your experiences as a recipient through media and at events such as Open Day.
Applications must include all necessary supporting documents. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Applicants will need to supply the following supporting documentation:
- Letter of support from a registered Australian South Sea Islander organisation
- Written submission
- Evidence of academic achievement
To apply for an Australian South Sea Islander Community Foundation Scholarship:
- Read and understand the scholarship information above, specifically the eligibility, selection criteria and supporting documentation needed for your online application.
- Complete an online Scholarship Application Form, ensuring all supporting documentation is attached as outlined above. Further information may be required to assess your application. These requests for further information will be sent directly to student email accounts (current students) or nominated email accounts for future students who are not yet enrolled. Responses to requests for further information must be received before 5 pm AEST on the closing date. Failure to supply requested documents will result in your application being incomplete. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
For current students (who already have a Student ID number), apply through MyCentre.
For future students (applicants who have applied or are intending to apply to study at CQUniversity but not yet received or accepted an offer), apply now.
This scholarship is provided by the Australian South Sea Islander Community Foundation (ASSICF), a sub-fund of the Queensland Community Foundation (QCF), in partnership with CQUniversity.