CQUniCares North Queensland Sports Foundation Scholarship
A scholarship to provide recognition and financial assistance to an elite athlete or coach (recognised by the Elite Athlete Friendly University) who resides in North Queensland and is commencing the first year of a Bachelor course.
Scholarship Value: Up to $10,000
Length of Scholarship: Duration of course
Number Available: 1 (One)
Opening Date: 04 May 2021
Closing Date: 11 June 2021
|Year of Study||Future; First year|
|Citizenship||Australian Citizen; Permanent Resident; Permanent Humanitarian Visa|
|Study Region||Cairns; Mackay; Townsville; Online Queensland|
|Study Mode||All modes|
|Study Load||All loads|
To be eligible to receive the CQUniCares North Queensland Sports Foundation Scholarship, an applicant must meet the following criteria:
- Be enrolled or be intending to be enrolled at CQUniversity in Term 2, 2021;
- Be commencing studies in any Bachelor course;
- Be an Australian Citizen, Permanent Resident or holder of a Permanent Humanitarian Visa;
- Reside and study within North Queensland Sports Foundation’s geographic footprint (See Map)
- Self-identify and be recognised as or be a member of one of the organisations listed on the Elite Athlete Friendly University Guiding Principles as an elite athlete or coach (a person who participates in or coaches sport at the level of state, national or international competitions);
- Be enrolled at Census Date Term 2, 2021 with a study load of 12 credit points or more;
- Not be receiving another CQUniversity Scholarship of similar or higher value.
Applicants will be assessed on the application form and a written submission of no more than 500 words addressing the following:
- Career goals and how the scholarship will assist you in achieving your educational objectives
- Extracurricular activities – especially community and volunteering activities and demonstration of leadership
- Sporting or coaching achievements
- Life Experiences
Ongoing Eligibility Requirements
In addition to the eligibility criteria, the successful applicant must:
- Maintain a minimum GPA of 4.0 each term
- Remain enrolled in the course as at Census Date each term with a study load of 12 credit points or more;
- Complete 2 x additional pathways (recipient’s choice of remaining topics) of Blackbullion financial literacy platform prior to Term 2 Census Date.
Please note that failure to meet the continuing eligibility criteria may result in the scholarship being cancelled.
Expectations of Recipients
As an added professional development opportunity, all scholarship recipients are expected to engage with Blackbullion, an online interactive financial literacy platform. Scholarship recipients must complete the “budgeting” pathway + 1 (one) other module of their choice prior to the first payment being made.
As a scholarship recipient, you will be asked to participate in a feedback survey. You may also be approached to assist with positively promoting CQUniversity’s Scholarship program by sharing your experiences as a recipient through media or invited to attend events such as Orientation or Open Days.
Payment of Scholarship
The successful applicant is required to enter their current financial institution details (banking details) into their MyCentre for payment to occur. This must be done prior to Term 2 Census Date to avoid delays.
Payments are based on term study loads as follows
- $625 /term for study load of 12 credit points in Term 1 and Term 2
- $1,250 /term for study load of 18 credit points or more in Term 1 and Term 2
Payment will be made to the successful applicant in Week 6 after final post Census Date eligibility and Blackbullion engagement checks each term.
Payments will be credited electronically to the student’s nominated bank account.
Applications must include all necessary supporting documents. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Applicants will need to supply the following supporting documentation:
- Written submission
- Evidence of academic achievements or unofficial transcript
- Evidence of community involvement, exemplary work or demonstration of leadership
- Confirmation of Aboriginality/ Torres Strait Islander (if applicable)
- Complete a Scholarship Online Application Form, ensuring all supporting documentation is completed and attached as outlined here
Failure to supply requested documents will result in your application being incomplete. Incomplete applications will not be considered.A selection panel, consisting of representatives from North Queensland Sports Foundation will be formed to determine the successful applicants. Short-listed applicants may be invited to attend an interview (either face-to-face or telephone). A scholarship will only be offered where there is an applicant of sufficient merit. All applicants will be notified of the outcome of their applications as soon as possible after the selection panel meets.
The North Queensland Sports Foundation (NQSF) was established in 1983 to develop a sporting event to meet with a significant community need. The inaugural NQ Games was hosted in Townsville in 1984 and has continued to develop into the largest regularly run multi-sport event in regional Australia.
Founded by North Queensland Local Government Authorities, the NQSF has matured into a unique and dynamic organization that connects North Queensland resources and communities to deliver an impressive portfolio of events and projects to the region.
The High Performance Sports Scholarship Program is a very unique opportunity for our young NQ Athletes providing financial support within the NQ region. Several sporting codes have developed strong resources and infrastructure in regional North Queensland which allows athletes to develop whilst residing in NQ.