CQUniCares Emergency Grant
CQUniCares Emergency Grants provide financial assistance to low-income students who experience unexpected financial hardship as a result of an emergency or unforeseen situation, that has the potential to derail their studies. The purpose of the grant is to support these students in continuing their studies.
Scholarship Value: Considered on a case-by-case basis
Length of Scholarship: Once off
Number Available: Limited number available
Opening Date: 04 January 2022
Closing Date: 13 December 2022
|Study Level||STEPS; TEP; SUN; VET; Undergraduate; Postgraduate (Course work); Postgraduate (Research); Masters; Doctorate|
|Year of Study||Any|
|Citizenship||Australian Citizen; Permanent Resident; Permanent Humanitarian Visa; New Zealand Citizen|
|Study Mode||All modes|
|Study Load||All loads|
To be eligible to receive the CQUniCares Emergency Grant, an applicant must:
- be in genuine need of urgent financial assistance as a result of unforeseen circumstances or an emergency situation that has the potential to significantly impact study progress
- be enrolled and actively studying in either a CQUniversity Certificate (I-IV); Enabling/Pathway; Undergraduate or Postgraduate program
- have successfully completed at least one term of study at CQUniversity
- not be a cross-institutional student (your home institution is not CQUniversity)
- be an Australian or New Zealand citizen, permanent resident, or holder of a humanitarian visa with a permanent home address in Australia
- have not previously received a CQUniCares Emergency Grant in the last twelve months
Study-related expenses that every student should anticipate are not normally grounds for an emergency grant. These include expenses such as fees, travel for residential schools and start-up costs such as the purchase of computers or laptops.
Unsuccessful scholarship applications are not grounds for an emergency grant.
Applicants will be assessed based on their completed application form, supporting documentation and/or personal statement demonstrating a genuine need for a CQUniCares Emergency Grant. Applicants should:
- outline the emergency situation that has occurred, its urgency and how it could not have been anticipated
- explain the negative impacts on the student's ability to continue with studies at CQUni
- include other financial assistance options or support that they have been explored prior to making this application (family support, insurance claim, charity organisations, Centrelink assistance, loan or state/territory utility hardship grants)
- indicate what the grant will be used for if the application is successful
Payment of the Grant
Payment of the CQUniCares Emergency Grant will be made via electronic funds transfer to the bank account nominated by the student. Payment is usually made within two weeks of the successful outcome.
Terms and Conditions of the Grant
As there is a limited allocation of CQUniCares Emergency Grants, the decision regarding successful applications will be final. The Student Scholarships Team reserves the right to the discretionary use of funds. Unsuccessful scholarship applications are not grounds for applying for an emergency grant.
As a CQUniCares Emergency Grant recipient, students are invited to share their stories of how the grant has assisted them. This helps positively promote the CQUniCares Emergency Grants to other students who may need support.
Students must read the scholarship guidelines to ensure they submit a complete application. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Applicants will need to supply the following supporting documentation:
- Personal statement addressing the selection criteria
- Personal statement should also include any additional information that may assist with the assessment of your application – opportunity to explain your personal, financial, living or study situation relevant to the emergency
- OR Written statement or letter of support from a University staff member who can confirm the applicant's circumstances
To apply for the CQUni Cares Emergency Grant:
- Complete a Grant Application Form and prepare your personal statement outlining your emergency unexpected situation.
- Ensure all supporting documentation is completed and attached as outlined on the Application Form.
- Email your application form and all supporting documentation to the Student Scholarships Team at email@example.com.
CQUniCares Emergency Grants are generously funded by CQUniversity staff, alumni and community partners who recognise the importance of supporting our students in their time of need.