CQUniCares Costa Avocado Scholarship
This scholarship will provide recognition and financial assistance to a first year Bachelor of Agriculture (CV85) student. The selected Scholar will have the opportunity to work at Costa Group during their studies (paid work experience / vacation employment).
Scholarship Value: $15,000 + Oppportunity for paid work experience/vacation employment
Length of Scholarship: 3 (Three) Years
Number Available: 1 (One)
Opening Date: 15 September 2020
Closing Date: 08 January 2021
|Year of Study||Future; First year|
|Citizenship||Australian Citizen; Permanent Resident; Permanent Humanitarian Visa; New Zealand Citizen|
|Study Mode||All modes|
|Study Load||All loads|
To be eligible to receive the CQUniCares Costa Avocado Scholarship, an applicant must meet the following criteria:
- Be enrolled or intending to be enrolled at CQUniversity in Term 1, 2021;
- Be studying in their first year of the Bachelor of Agriculture (CV85);
- Be enrolled with a minimum term study load of 12 credit points or more;
- Be an Australia or New Zealand Citizen, Permanent Resident or holder of an Australian Humanitarian Visa;
- Be enrolled at Census Date Term 1, 2021;
- Not be receiving another CQUniversity Scholarship of similar or higher value.
Preference will be given to applicants who are residing in the Bundaberg region.
Applicants will be assessed on the application and a written submission of no more than 500 words addressing the following:
- Career goals and how the scholarship will assist you in achieving your educational objectives;
- Extracurricular activities – especially community and volunteering activities and demonstration of leadership;
- Life experiences
Preference will be given to the applicant who shows greatest merit as demonstrated by:
- Personal qualities, including alignment with Costa values: Passion, Sincerity, Accountability, Respect and Determination and also Leadership Potential; and
- Strength of interest that the applicant demonstrates in completing at least one period of vacation employment at Costa Group; and
- Any other matter that the selection committee considers to be relevant to the applicant’s future success in the horticulture profession.
Ongoing Eligibility Requirements
In addition to the eligibility criteria, the successful applicant must:
- Maintain a minimum GPA of 4.0 each term
- Remain enrolled in the course as at Census Date each term with a minimum term study load of 12 credit points or more
- Complete 2 x additional pathways (recipient’s choice of remaining topics) of Blackbullion financial literacy platform prior to Term 2 Census Date.
- The selected scholar will have the opportunity to work at Costa Group during their studies (paid work experience/ vacation employment). Costa Group will enter into a direct agreement with the chosen scholar.
Please note that failure to meet the continuing eligibility criteria may result in the scholarship being cancelled.
Expectations of Recipients
As an added professional development opportunity, all scholarship recipients are expected to engage with Blackbullion, an online interactive financial literacy platform. Scholarship recipients must complete the “budgeting” pathway + 1 (one) other module of their choice prior to the first payment being made.
As a scholarship recipient, you will be asked to participate in a feedback survey. You may also be approached to assist with positively promoting CQUniversity’s Scholarship program by sharing your experiences as a recipient through media or invited to attend events such as Orientation or Open Days.
Payment of Scholarships
The successful applicant is required to enter their current financial institution details (banking details) into their MyCentre for payment to occur. This must be done prior to Term 1 Census Date to avoid delays.
Payments are based on term study loads as follows
- $2,500 / term for study load of 12 credit points or more
Payment will be made to the successful applicant in Week 6 after final post Census Date eligibility and Blackbullion engagement checks each term.
Payments will be credited electronically to the student’s nominated bank account.
- Written submission
- Documentation demonstrating previous academic achievement/success
- Documentation demonstrating community involvement, exemplary work or demonstration of leadership
To apply for the CQUniCares Costa Avocado Scholarship:
- Complete a Scholarship Online Application Form, ensuring all supporting documentation is completed and attached as outlined here
Complete Applications must be received at the Student Scholarships Office by 5 pm AEST on the closing date.
Failure to supply requested documents will result in your application being incomplete. Incomplete applications will not be considered.A selection panel, consisting of representatives from Costa Group will be formed to determine the successful applicants. A scholarship will only be offered where there is an applicant of sufficient merit. All applicants will be notified of the outcome of their applications as soon as possible after the selection panel meets.
Costa Avocado is a leading avocado grower and marketer within Australia. Growing avocados in Childers and the Atherton region in Queensland, in North New South Wales region and the Riverland, South Australia. As well as the care we have for our produce, Costa Group care about their people and search for those that are just as passionate. Visit costagroup.com.au for more information.