PDC103429 - Transforming Clinical Teaching
|Duration||6 hours online self-paced learning|
This online micro-credential is focused on teaching strategies for preparing and supporting students in work integrated learning scenarios, and introduces learning theories and strategies that are useful in any classroom or clinical settings across many disciplines.
A contemporary learning theory relevant to clinical education is Transformative Learning (TL). TL aims to produce a shift in perspective in learners so that students look at a situation differently and thus change the way they practise. There are many situations where clinical teachers find a change in perspective and practice may be needed to improve the quality of care patients receive. These may include replacing: prejudice with unbiased views; routinisation with reflective practice; taken-for-granted assumptions with novel thinking. In order to model TL students will engage with common problems discussed in the literature that clinical teachers encounter but find complex and difficult to change. Videos, critical thinking exercises [CR1] and other trigger material will be used. Students will become familiar with the historical development and various approaches used by Transformational Learning Practitioners globally. Tools often used in TL will be considered and put into practice. These include dialogic critique, reflection and innovation.
This is a non-creditable micro-credential which is awarded a digital badge and Certificate of Completion which can be shared to students' social networks and displayed in your professional portfolio.
Our micro-credentials are aligned to the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals.
What is a Digital Badge?
Undertaking this micro-credential enables learners to meet their Continuing Professional Development obligations and industry update requirements in their profession. Upon successful completion of the micro-credential, students will be awarded Continuing Professional Development (CPD) hours, a non-creditable micro-credential (Digital Badge) and a Certificate of Completion.
Structure & Availability
6 hours online self-paced learning
- Describe Transformative Learning (TL)
- Examine problematic situations that could be changed using TL
- Understand TL strategies to assist in challenging a person’s pre-existing thinking and to change or improve practice
- Create strategies to challenge the status quo in clinical teacher practices and in students’ work integrated learning (WIL) experiences
- Plan to implement TL to enhance WIL.
Digital Badge via Credly
Students can also download a Certificate of Completion, share to social media, or add to a professional portfolio.
There are no specific entry requirements to enrol in this course, however, it is suitable for people who work in nursing, education, counselling, social work, psychology and domestic violence services.
Our micro-credentials are available for anyone to access. You do not have to be a CQUniversity student.
How to apply
- Once you have selected your desired micro-credential, you can now add it to your shopping cart to enable you to purchase more than one "course" in a single transaction.
- Once you have added all the micro-credentials you wish to purchase, you will be directed to the payment gateway and will be asked to "authenticate" your account on our Learning Management System Be Different.
- If you are an existing CPD student, please use sign in options used to access CPD micro-credential courses in Be Different.
- If you a new student to CPD, please select option “Don’t have an account?” Sign up now and follow the prompts to create a new account.
- After successful authentication, you will be redirected to the CQUniversity secure payment gateway. Please add your payment details to complete the transaction.
- Following a successful payment, you will automatically be redirected to the course in the Learning Management System Be Different where you will find your selection of micro-credentials on your Dashboard.