PDC52464 - Emergency Childbirth - An Introduction for Nurses
|Duration||10 hours online self-paced learning. Students can access the micro-credential for one year from enrolment.|
As a nurse, you may sometimes find yourself in a situation without a midwife, especially if you are in a rural or remote area. This online micro-credential introduces key principles and guidance to provide support for a woman in labour, basic antenatal cares, and safe practices within the scope of a non-midwife. As a micro-credential, this course gives you a certificate of completion and a digital badge to display in your profile or share on social media.
This online micro-credential provides information on imminent birthing for the general nurse, including Enrolled Nurses and Registered Nurses (non-midwife), including managing the woman in labour. The registered nurse may find themselves without a midwife at their facility or within close range as often can be the case in rural and remote areas. This may leave the registered nurse with some responsibility for carrying out routine antenatal care and occasionally the actual birth. This micro-credential introduces key principles and guidance to provide support for a woman in labour, basic antenatal cares, and safe practices within the scope of a non-midwife.
This is a non-creditable micro-credential which is awarded a digital badge and Certificate of Completion which can be shared to your social networks and displayed in your professional portfolio.
Our micro-credentials are aligned to the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals.
Undertaking this micro-credential enables students to meet their Continuing Professional Development obligations and industry update requirements in their profession. Upon successful completion of the course, students will be awarded Continuing Professional Development (CPD) hours, a non-creditable micro-credential (Digital Badge) and a Certificate of Completion.
Structure & Availability
Students can access the micro-credential for one year from enrolment.
- Describe the scope of practice implications for a registered or enrolled nurse (non-midwife) caring for pregnant women
- Describe the legal limitations placed on the registered/enrolled nurse
- Develop an understanding of safe care for women during pregnancy and labour
- Identify resources and information for imminent birth
- Describe antenatal care observations for pregnant women
- Identify supportive measures for a woman in labour in the absence of direct supervision from a Medical Officer or Midwife
- Describe the care for mother and newborn immediately post-delivery
- Identify indications for additional and emergency care for mother and newborn
- Identify the principles for resuscitation of the newborn
- Outline initiation of the newborn's first feeds.
Digital Badge via Credly
Students can also download a Certificate of Completion, share to social media or add to a professional portfolio.
There are no specific entry requirements, however, students enrolling in this course should work as a Registered Nurse or Enrolled Nurse.
Our micro-credentials are available for anyone to access. You do not have to be a CQUniversity student.
How to apply
- Once you have selected your desired micro-credential, you can now add it to your shopping cart to enable you to purchase more than one "course" in a single transaction.
- Once you have added all the micro-credentials you wish to purchase, you will be directed to the payment gateway and will be asked to "authenticate" your account on our Learning Management System Be Different.
- If you are an existing CPD student, please use sign in options used to access CPD micro-credential courses in Be Different.
- If you a new student to CPD, please select option “Don’t have an account?” Sign up now and follow the prompts to create a new account.
- After successful authentication, you will be redirected to the CQUniversity secure payment gateway. Please add your payment details to complete the transaction.
- Following a successful payment, you will automatically be redirected to the course in the Learning Management System Be Different where you will find your selection of micro-credentials on your Dashboard.