PDC85340 - Culinary Science for Teachers
|Duration||Professional Development Short Course is 24 hours.|
|Study mode||On Campus|
Need to learn about, or upskill your food science knowledge for the classroom? During this 4-day Professional Development Short Course, you will undertake a series of food-based experiments which develop pedagogical and content knowledge through practical skills associated with cookery and food formulations. During this workshop, you will be given opportunities to explore ways to present scientific food experiments to secondary school students in fun, challenging and engaging ways that meet current Australian curriculum needs. This workshop is awarded a Certificate of Attendance as evidence of your Professional Development.
Need to learn about, or upskill your food science knowledge? During this 4-day Professional Development Short Course, you will undertake a series of food-based experiments which develop pedagogical and content knowledge through practical skills associated with cookery and food formulations. During this workshop, you will be given opportunities to explore ways to present scientific food experiments to secondary school students in fun, challenging and engaging ways.
This 4-day workshop includes:
- teaching and learning strategies to assist school students to engage with complex scientific processes by performing laboratory testing and experiments on food
- knowledge of the chemical reactions and processes that occur when food is prepared, cooked and stored
- food educator vocabulary, skills and abilities to construct and deliver content in fun and challenging ways.
Resources provided for participants:
All consumables (i.e. materials necessary to undertake workshop activities).
Dates, times and venue information:
For dates, times and venue information, please access the Professional Development Short Course by visiting our Learning Management Site: Be Different
This Professional Development Short Course is held every year during the September Education Queensland school holidays.
Undertaking this Professional Development Short Course enables students to meet their Continuing Professional Development obligations and industry update requirements in their profession. Upon successful completion of the Professional Development Short Course, students will be awarded a Continuing Professional Development (CPD) hours Certificate of Completion.
Structure & Availability
Standard Workshop StructureDuration:
Professional Development Short Course is 24 hours.
- Design and perform a series of food-based experiments that develop practical skills associated with cookery and recipe construction
- Apply appropriate problem-solving procedures to plan, sequence, implement and assess food production processes used in recipe construction
- Recognise and apply skills, sequences and procedures using design and problem-solving processes required for teaching a range of cookery skills
- Critically evaluate specific applications of recipes and ingredients used in the production of edible foods
- Apply appropriate workplace health and safety practices for cookery.
- 4-day participation in practical skills activities
- teacher demonstration of a food experiment suitable for school
- self-reflection and peer assessment.
Teacher in an Australian school who needs to upskill in the discipline.
Clothing requirement: Wear covered non-slip footwear and suitable protective clothing.
How to apply
- Once you have selected your desired workshop, you can now add it to your shopping cart to enable you to purchase more than one "course" in a single transaction.
- Once you have added all the courses you wish to purchase, you will be directed to the payment gateway and will be asked to "authenticate" your account on our Learning Management System Be Different.
- If you are an existing CPD student, please use sign in options used to access CPD micro-credential courses in Be Different.
- If you a new student to CPD, please select option “Don’t have an account?” Sign up now and follow the prompts to create a new account.
- After successful authentication, you will be redirected to the CQUniversity secure payment gateway. Please add your payment details to complete the transaction.
- Following a successful payment, you will automatically be redirected to the course in the Learning Management System Be Different where you will find your selection of courses (and micro-credentials) on your Dashboard.