Acknowledgement of Country
We respectfully acknowledge the Traditional Owners of the land on which we work and learn, and pay respect to the First Nations Peoples and their Elders, past, present and future.
The Office of Indigenous Engagement (OIE) Strategic Intent
We operate in a strong, cultural, powerful and united way, causing social disruption through brave and challenging conversations and engagement, to inspire new and innovative ways of thinking and being.
CQUniversity’s Office of Indigenous Engagement (OIE) engages with university staff, students, members of the general public and industry (including non-government, government and corporate entities) to provide support, opportunities and improve outcomes for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and communities.
Office of Indigenous Engagement supports the advance of Indigenous people by:
- Providing advice on education pathways to create positive and successful outcomes for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students
- Promotion and leadership of quality Indigenous research that builds national and global expertise
- Collaborative links between CQUniversity and regional, national and international institutions and organisations for research and knowledge exchange
- Facilitation of social innovation and sustainability, ensuring future education and economic opportunities for Indigenous communities
- Integration of Indigenous engagement tools and platforms throughout CQUniversity’s infrastructure and culture
- Stimulation of regional, national and international partnerships that enhance opportunities for First Nations Peoples.
Office of Indigenous Engagement
Building 31 (ground floor)
North Rockhampton QLD 4701
Phone: 07 4930 6409
Reconciliation Action Plan (RAP)
In the spirit of reconciliation, CQUniversity Australia is committed to building long-term, respectful partnerships with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples. Enacting the 2016-2018 Reconciliation Action Plan (RAP), CQUniversity move towards becoming a truly inclusive and engaged university.
Under the RAP, the University enables equality and integration, greater study, employment and sustainable opportunities.
Throughout the year we run a variety of Office of Indigenous Engagement events open to the general public to attend. Our events take place at a number of our campuses, in many regions across the country, offering video conference access to selective events.
To find out more about events coming up at a location near you or hear more about our research and other Office of Indigenous Engagement project join our digital mailing list today by clicking here.
If you have feedback about an event you attended, a suggestion for an upcoming speaker or would like to volunteer to help with our events please email OIE@cqu.edu.au
CQUniversity is proud to have the highest ratio of students from low socio-economic, mature age, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander, and first-in-family backgrounds. The University defines itself by who it embraces rather than who it excludes, and because of this is widely recognised as Australia's most inclusive university. CQUniversity is focused on creating and build stronger relationships and sustainable opportunities that will enable equality and integration, greater study, employment and research prospects and the reciprocation of knowledge.
The following Indigenous Education Statements outline how CQUniversity has demonstrated its achievements in the following areas:
- The implementation of strategies for improving access, participation, retention and success of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students;
- Increased participation of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples in the University’s decision-making processes; and
- An Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander employment strategy.
Indigenous Education Statement - CQUniversity 2012
Indigenous Education Statement - CQUniversity 2013
Indigenous Education Statement - CQUniversity 2014
Indigenous Education Statement - CQUniversity 2015
Indigenous Education Statement - CQUniversity 2016