Eligibility for a scholarship includes the following:
- Australian residency status
- Planning to enrol or enrolled in a tertiary course of study (recognised under the Australian Qualifications Framework) for one or more academic years at a university, TAFE or a registered training organisation in Australia.
- Be studying or planning to study full-time, online or face-to-face. Priority is given to those who have not previously undertaken tertiary education.
- Applicants who are seeking a scholarship for a second degree, or a graduate degree, Masters or Doctorate will be given lower priority.
- If an applicant has received a Long Tan Bursary, they cannot be considered for another Long Tan Bursary.
- In receipt of, or eligible to receive, a means-tested Commonwealth educational benefit - Youth Allowance, ABSTUDY, Austudy or Veterans' Children Education Scheme (VCES).
- Be a child or a grandchild of an ex-serving veteran. Children include adopted children, ex-nuptial children, stepchildren and foster children. Stepchildren and foster children must have resided with, or been financially supported by, their veteran stepparent or foster parent for 5 of the last 10 years. Grandchildren are defined as the children of one's son or daughter. Step-grandchildren are not eligible.
- The veteran must be an Australian ex-serving veteran with operational service including eligible war service, war-like service and peacekeeping/peacemaking service OR 3 or more continuous years of full-time other service, as a member of the
Australian Navy, Army or Air Force.
- People who are serving in the Reserve Forces (SERCAT 3, 4 & 5 – Rendering Service) are considered to be serving so the applicant child or grandchild is not eligible.
The same application form is used for all scholarships. Applicants will be considered for all scholarships for which they are eligible.
Applications, including all documentation, need to be submitted by midnight 31st October 2023.
Visit the AVCAT Scholarships webpage to download an Application Guide.Applications are considered by a team of independent assessors and AVCAT’s National Selection Committee. Applicants are notified of the outcome of their application from late February through March. Applicants will be kept updated on any change to the timing of notification.
AVCAT sponsored scholarships are funded by ex-service organisations and private donors.