Understanding Vicarious Trauma - PDC61661
Working in a caring profession can take its emotional toll on the practitioner. Assisting and supporting clients may result in a number of challenging interactions and can even result in vicarious trauma. This micro-credential looks at the key elements of vicarious trauma and how to manage it effectively. Being able to understand, address and prevent vicarious trauma is critically important for everyone working with vulnerable clients. As a micro-credential, this course gives you a certificate of completion and a digital badge to display in your profile or share on social media.
4 hours online self-paced learning. Students can access the micro-credential for one year from enrolment.
Working in a caring profession can take its emotional toll on the practitioner. Assisting and supporting clients may result in a number of challenging interactions and can even result in vicarious trauma. The examination of particular challenges when working with vulnerable clients involves the ability to being attuned to and accepting of emotions in the context of working in human service provision. This requires understanding, addressing and preventing negative outcomes of vicarious trauma. Focus of attention will be on key elements of vicarious trauma and how to manage it effectively. Emotions influence physiological reactions and behaviours, which may result in reduced empathy, which impacts service provision. Therefore, being able to understand, address and prevent vicarious trauma is critically important for everyone working with vulnerable clients. This online micro-credential will utilise an interactive presentation style, which includes self-directed learning activities, reflection questions, and specific readings. It allows participants to build knowledge and understanding along with consolidating their learning and exchanging personal insight with colleagues.
This is a non-creditable micro-credential which is awarded a digital badge and Certificate of Completion which can be shared to your social networks and displayed in your professional portfolio.
Our micro-credentials are aligned to the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals.
4 hours online self-paced learning.
Students can access the micro-credential for one year from enrolment.
- Understand how clients’ stress experiences interact with therapists’ emotions and empathy when working with clients
- Identify the warning signs of compassion fatigue
- Describe the concepts of transference, countertransference, compassion fatigue and burnout
- Apply strategies to manage compassion fatigue
- Integrate transference and countertransference into therapy
- Understand and respond to Vicarious Trauma.
Digital Badge via Credly
Students can also download a Certificate of Completion, share to social media or add to a professional portfolio.
There are no specific entry requirements, however, students enrolling in this course should work in the healthcare profession.
Our micro-credentials are available for anyone to access. You do not have to be a CQUniversity student.
Undertaking this micro-credential enables students to meet their Continuing Professional Development obligations and industry update requirements in their profession. Upon successful completion of the course, students will be awarded Continuing Professional Development (CPD) hours, a non-creditable micro-credential (Digital Badge) and a Certificate of Completion.
- Once you have selected your desired micro-credential, you can now add it to your shopping cart to enable you to purchase more than one "course" in a single transaction.
- Once you have added all the micro-credentials you wish to purchase, you will be directed to the payment gateway and will be asked to "authenticate" your account on our Learning Management System Be Different.
- If you are an existing CPD student, please use sign in options used to access CPD micro-credential courses in Be Different.
- If you a new student to CPD, please select option “Don’t have an account?” Sign up now and follow the prompts to create a new account.
- After successful authentication, you will be redirected to the CQUniversity secure payment gateway. Please add your payment details to complete the transaction.
- Following a successful payment, you will automatically be redirected to the course in the Learning Management System Be Different where you will find your selection of micro-credentials on your Dashboard.