SEARCH WEBSITE

PhD Elevate Scholarship - CQUniversity and Ocugene Partnership

Red‐green colour vision deficiency (protan and deutan colour vision anomalies) is arguably the most common mendelian genetic disease in man, affecting 12% of the male population. It is currently untreatable, and although sufferers eventually tend to adapt well, the disease causes substantial loss of objective function and difficulties in learning, mobility, careers, everyday tasks and is the subject of various discriminations. Gene therapy experiments in primates have shown that replacement of the missing photopigment leads to trichromatic colour perception despite the lack of 3 colour input into the visual cortex during development, but the development of gene therapy for the condition has lagged as the condition is mild compared to other inherited retinal dystrophies and the possible risks of the treatment could well outweigh the disease.

Scholarship Value: $30,000 stipend per year

Length of Scholarship: 3 years

Number Available: 1

Opening Date: 16 November 2020

Closing Date: 31 December 2020

Study LevelPostgraduate (Research)
Year of StudyFuture; First year
CitizenshipAustralian Citizen; Permanent Resident
EthnicityAny
Study RegionBrisbane Queensland
Study ModeOn-campus
Study LoadFull time
GenderAny

To be eligible for this PhD scholarship, the successful applicant must:

  • have been awarded Honours First Class or Second Class division A in a related discipline;
  • be an Australian Resident and already be living in Australia at time of application due to travel restrictions that are currently in place in Australia due to COVID-19;
  • maintain full-time study mode; and
  • be willing to study in Brisbane for 80% of the duration of the studies with the other 20% being required for travel.

Applications are invited from candidates who have:

1.  Quality of previous academic achievement, research and scientific writing
2.  Previous experience in PC2 laboratories, with skills in molecular biology and cloning
3.  Ability to review and report on literature systematically 
4.  Ability to work independently and engage with team members locally and remotely
5.  Strong planning and organisational skills, with the ability to work systematically, prioritise tasks and meet deadlines
6.  Experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, Powerpoint, Endnote, and SPSS
7.  Knowledge of laboratory safety and regulations surrounding the use and disposal of genetically modified organisms
8.  Referees reports from previous supervisors

The PhD candidate will enrolled at CQU and be part of the laboratory of Ocugene and its charity partner, the LVF Ophthalmology Research Centre, which is located within  the Translational Research Institute, the largest research institute in the southern hemisphere.  Candidates will have access to the teaching programs of the Institute in addition to those of CQU.  A supervisory team consisting of Queensland leaders in scientific and clinical gene therapy has been assembled and the position is arguably one of the best local opportunities to achieve a thorough grounding in the field.

Applications must include all necessary supporting documents. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Applicants will need to supply the following supporting documentation:

  • Written submission
  • Resume

Applicants should apply directly to: Dr. Jason Steel

Candidates will be notified via email as soon as an outcome is available.
CQUniversity and Ocugene