Recognition of Prior Learning
Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) also known as Skills Assessment is an assessment process allowing new and current TAFE students to achieve all, or part, of a nationally recognised qualification by demonstrating their knowledge, skills and experience around a particular topic.
Some of the major advantages or benefits of RPL are:
- your skills are formally acknowledged with a nationally recognised qualification;
- reduce study loads;
- increased opportunities when re-entering the workforce;
- gain job promotions;
- change careers;
- move to a new industry;
- meeting industry regulations;
- support your immigration application.
Courses eligible for RPL
If you are seeking RPL for Vocational Education and Training Courses suchas a Certificates I, II, III or IV, Diploma or Advanced Diploma, please complete the online enquiry form below.
If you are seeking RPL or credit into a higher education qualification, such as a Bachelor or Master degree, please visit www.cqu.edu.au/credittransfer for more information.
The RPL process
Each RPL assessment is unique to the skills and knowledge of the student; however, the general process is the same. The process generally takes approximately three months but can vary between individuals. Your skills will be assessed against industry standards. This is completed by an RPL Assessor after receipt of your application and your supporting evidence. A visit to your workplace or your CQUniversity location may be organised so you can demonstrate your abilities.
How can I apply?
Complete the online enquiry form and your application kit will be sent to you within two working days or contact the RPL Administration Centre on (07) 4970 7249.
What does it cost?
The cost of RPL assessment varies between individuals as each applicant will possess a unique set of experiences, skills and knowledge. If your course is eligible for VET Fee-Help, the fees for RPL can be covered by the loan. If your course is eligible for government funding and you meet the criteria your fees may be reduced. A formal quote will be included within the application pack.
The difference between RPL or credit transfer
There are two nationally recognised processes that we use at CQUniversity:
- RPL Assessment: for informal learning which may occur in the following ways:
- Seminars, workshops, training events, vendor or manufacturer training in the use of machinery and voluntary or life experience.
- Credit Transfer: recognises any completed formal study by a student that is equivalent to the unit of competency relevant to their proposed training program. If the RPL Assessor determines you are eligible for a credit transfer the relevant units of qualification are offered at no cost to currently enrolled students.