Bachelor of Emergency Service - CC60

Upgrade your qualification and equip yourself with the skills and knowledge required to progress your career in emergency service. During your studies, you will draw on interdisciplinary learning, teaching and research from a range of emergency service related discipline areas and explore in-depth key concepts and perspectives from across the areas of safety science, public health, community safety and education, and management.






2 years full-time, 4 years part-time




Refer to Entry Requirements below


Emergency service related areas

The Bachelor of Emergency Service is a unique course designed to increase your skills and knowledge as an emergency service professional.

You will gain important lifelong learning and transferable generic skills such as critical thinking and problem solving, which you can apply to a variety of employment opportunities. The flexible structure of this course allows you to tailor this degree to meet your own needs by combining compulsory units with the choice of a minor.

The course has been developed with emergency service professionals in mind, providing you with the opportunity to upgrade your Vocational Education and Training qualifications to the degree level.

Core Units 10 Major Units None
Electives None Minor Units 3


You are required to complete 10 core units and two three-unit minors.


  • management
  • public health, community safety and education
  • safety science


For information on the units, you could study as part of this course, visit the Handbook and select the "Course Structure" tab.


If you have already completed study relevant to the course you have enrolled in, you may be eligible for credit transfer.

The Bachelor of Emergency Service has been developed alongside industry, with emergency service professionals in mind, providing an opportunity for you to upgrade your vocational qualifications to the bachelor level. The course is uniquely shorter than most bachelor-level qualifications, as your vocational diploma qualifications in occupational health and safety, paramedic science, police training, or other diploma qualifications relevant to emergency service roles, can articulate into your first year.

Throughout your studies, you will complete project-based, authentic and industry-relevant assessment tasks. This provides you with opportunities to practically apply your learnings and reflect on your current roles in emergency service. Your assessments and the unit tasks ensure that you graduate with relevant skills and knowledge to progress your career.

As a current emergency services professional, you will be able to apply your learnings to your current work and organisations, whether that be with the ambulance service, local, state or federal government, fire and rescue, state emergency service, or police force. You will be equipped with the know-how and confidence to advance into leadership roles, take on strategic projects, advance within the ranks, and be prepared for new and evolving emergency and disaster situations

As an emergency services student, you will benefit from our strong connections with industry that see your course material taught by experienced lecturers with relevant and current experience in emergency and disaster management. You will also connect with and hear from industry experts through guest lectures. Allowing you to take advantage of the knowledge and insight of leaders in the field.

Online Availability

Term 1 - 2022Available Online
Public Health, Community Safety and Education3

Note: Students who select HLTH12031 Community Engaged Learning as part of their minor studies units are expected to volunteer for a minimum of 25 hours with a community agency.

Safety Science 3
Work-integrated learning does not apply to this course.
This course has no residential schools.

Student Profile
If you would like to read about entry scores for applicants with recent secondary education and the student profile for this course view our Course and Entry Score Profile for Term 1, 2021.

Institute Profile
To find out about CQUniversity's Undergraduate Profile for Term 1, 2021 view our Institute Profile.

Domestic Students

  • Diploma qualification from the national Public Safety Training Package
  • Diploma qualification from the national Police Training Package or
  • Diploma of Paramedical Science (Ambulance) (HLT50412 or earlier) from the Health Training Package from a State or Territory Ambulance Service or
  • Diploma of Paramedical Science (Ambulance) (HLT50412 or earlier) from the Health Training Package from other training providers considered on a case by case basis.
  • Other Vocational Education and Training (VET) training package qualification applicable to an emergency service role or context considered on a case by case basis.

International Students

  • Qualification equivalent to an Australian Qualification Framework (AQF) Level 5 Diploma from the Fire and Emergency Service or Emergency Medical Services (EMS) context
  • Refer to the international student section

NOTE: Students with an Australian Qualification Framework (AQF) Level 6 Advanced Diploma will be provided with additional credit for study undertaken.

English Requirements:

If you were not born in Australia, Canada, New Zealand, United Kingdom, Ireland, South Africa or United States of America, you are required to meet the English Language Proficiency requirements set by the University.

Applicants are required to provide evidence of completion of:

  • a secondary qualification (Year 11 and 12, or equivalent), or
  • tertiary diploma level qualification, or
  • bachelor level qualification study for a period of at least 2 years fulltime with a minimum overall GPA 4.0

completed within Australia, Canada, New Zealand, United Kingdom, South Africa, Ireland, or United States of America, which will meet the English proficiency.

If you do not satisfy any of the above, you will need to undertake an English language proficiency test and achieve the following scores:

  • An International English Language Testing System (IELTS Academic) overall band score of at least 6.0 overall with a minimum 5.5 in each subset; or
  • Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) - Requires 550 or better overall and minimum TWE score of 4.5 (Paper Based Test), or 75 or better overall and no score less than 17 (Internet Based Test); or
  • Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic) - Requires an overall score of 54 with no sub-score less than 46; or
  • An Occupational English Test with Grades A or B only in each of the four components; or
  • Cambridge Certificate in advanced English (CAE) - Score of 180 or above; or
  • Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English - Score of 200 or above; or
  • Combined Universities Language Test (CULT) - 70% with no individual component score of less than 15.

English test results remain valid for no more than two years between final examination date and the date of commencement of study, and must appear on a single result certificate.

Security Requirements

No information available at this time.

Health Requirements

No information available at this time.

Assumed Knowledge

Emergency service related areas.

The Bachelor of Emergency Service supports graduates to operate in the increasingly complex environment faced by those working in the emergency service sector. In addition, this qualification provides a pathway for those holding Vocational Education and Training (VET) qualifications and wish to deepen their knowledge, in areas such as safety science, community safety and management for specialist roles in emergency service contexts.

Professional recognition is not applicable to this course.
Fee Category Commonwealth Supported Place
What is a Commonwealth Supported Place? A Commonwealth Supported Place is subsidised by the Government so that you are only required to pay a Student Contribution amount rather than tuition fees.
Am I eligible for a Commonwealth Supported Place? You are eligible to be Commonwealth supported if you are:
  • an Australian citizen who will undertake in Australia at least one unit of study that contributes to the requirements of your course; or
  • a New Zealand citizen who will be resident in Australia for the duration of your unit of study; or
  • the holder of a permanent visa, including a permanent humanitarian visa, who will be resident in Australia for the duration of your unit of study.

If you are not eligible for a Commonwealth Supported Place you will be required to pay tuition fees. Find out more about tuition fees or fees for international students.

Fee Type Student Contribution
What is a Student contribution? As a Commonwealth supported student, you will contribute towards the cost of your education by paying a Student Contribution. The Student Contribution is calculated for each term of enrolment based on the individual units you have enrolled in, not the course you are studying.
What is my Student Contribution?

Your Student Contribution fee is charged per unit of study and is dependent on the Student Contribution Band for each unit. Student Contribution Bands are categorised by study disciplines and help provide an estimate of course fees.

The majority of units within this course fall within Band 2. Some units may fall within Band 1 and/or 3.

Student Contribution amounts for each band provide an estimate of the cost of your course. Your course may consist of units from more than one band so your fees could vary from the indicated amount as units are spread across a number of bands.

You can view fees specific to the course, and units, you are interested in studying by using our Cost Per Unit table.

HECS-HELP and payment options

HECS-HELP is the loan scheme provided by the Australian Government to help eligible Commonwealth supported students pay their student contributions through a loan. Eligible students can use a HECS-HELP loan to pay for all or some of their Student Contribution amount. If you elect to use a HECS-HELP loan, this means that you will defer payment of your Student Contribution amount and repay your HECS-HELP loan when your income is above the compulsory repayment threshold.

If you are not eligible for a HECS-HELP loan, or you are required to pay your Student Contribution upfront, you will need to pay your fees no later than the census date for the term in which you are studying.

Other Fees You will also incur a Student Services and Amenities Fee.
Other study costs You may have other study costs such as travel expenses related to residential schools or work placements if they are a requirement of your course. There are also textbooks, stationery and other sundry costs associated with studying.

At CQUniversity, we believe University should be for everyone. No matter your situation, we know that everyone needs a helping hand from time to time and are proud to offer a wide range of scholarships and awards programs.
Our scholarships could help you pay for some or all of your course fees, or even contribute towards your living and study expenses.

Tertiary Admission Centre codes are not applicable for this course.

If you have decided what you would like to study and are ready to apply, we’re here to help you along the way.

Want to know more about application dates and other admission information?
View our important dates information and read about other admission considerations such as information for domestic students with overseas qualifications, indigenous support, and elite athlete, coach and performer support.

To apply for this course, submit your application directly to CQUniversity using the Apply button below.

Apply direct



I like to make sure that people go home to their families, so it was easy for me to transition from the military into an emergency response medicine management role.

Johnny Fisher

Bachelor of Emergency Service