PDC85349 - Food Technology
|Duration||Professional Development Short Course is 24 hours.|
|Study mode||Mixed Mode|
This Food Technology Professional Development Course will provide you with the pedagogical content knowledge and skills required to teach Years 7-10 Food Technology and Hospitality classes. This 4-day intensive workshop provides a practical hands-on experience where you will learn a range of techniques essential for teaching food skills and the design process. You will develop and create designed food solutions using the design process and explore complex factors that impact food production and consumption. You will be required to adhere to food safety practices, risk assessment procedures, and comply with relevant hospitality industry regulations and requirements when engaging in kitchen operations, food production and food service.
This 4-day workshop includes:
- a series of practical cooking tasks
- adaptation of an existing food product using the design process
- practical classroom advice such as how to overcome potential student challenges and setting up a Home Economics/Hospitality kitchen
- assistance with planning and development of courses from Junior to Senior schooling encompassing VET
- facility management and maintenance
- workplace health and safety including risk management strategies, personal and food hygiene.
Resources provided for participants:
All consumables (i.e. ingredients, and other materials necessary to undertake the workshop activities).
On registration and payment, you will receive a booklet that includes information relating to Food Technology with examples of recipes used at various school levels, assessment items, criteria sheets and relevant teaching materials.
Dates, times and venue information:
For dates, times and venue information, please access the Professional Development Short Course by visiting our Learning Management Site: Be Different
This Professional Development Short Course is held every year during the April Department of Education (Queensland) school holidays.
Venue options (Rockhampton and/or Brisbane) will be determined by student enrolment numbers.
Undertaking this Professional Development Short Course enables students to meet their Continuing Professional Development obligations and industry update requirements in their profession. Upon successful completion of the Professional Development Short Course, students will be awarded a Continuing Professional Development (CPD) hours Certificate of Completion.
Structure & Availability
Standard Workshop StructureDuration:
Professional Development Short Course is 24 hours.
- Discern and apply a range of practical and theoretical cookery skills and techniques appropriate to food specialisation contexts in secondary schools
- Adhere to food safety practices, risk assessment procedures, and comply with relevant hospitality industry regulations and requirements when engaging in kitchen operations, food production and food service
- Investigate complex factors that impact food production and consumption
- Develop and create designed food solutions using design processes and production skills in a food specialisation context.
- 4-days participation in practice skills activities
- partial completion of two competencies.
Teacher in an Australian school who needs to upskill in the discipline.
Clothing requirement: Wear covered non-slip footwear and suitable protective clothing.
How to apply
- Once you have selected your desired course, you can now add it to your shopping cart to enable you to purchase more than one "course" in a single transaction.
- Once you have added all the courses (and micro-credentials) you wish to purchase, you will be directed to the payment gateway and will be asked to "authenticate" your account on our Learning Management System Be Different.
- If you are an existing CPD student, please use sign in options used to access CPD micro-credential courses in Be Different.
- If you a new student to CPD, please select option “Don’t have an account?” Sign up now and follow the prompts to create a new account.
- After successful authentication, you will be redirected to the CQUniversity secure payment gateway. Please add your payment details to complete the transaction.
- Following a successful payment, you will automatically be redirected to the course in the Learning Management System Be Different where you will find your selection of courses (and micro-credentials) on your Dashboard.