PDC113121 - A Beginners Guide to Environmental Science: Wicked Problems and Possible Solutions
|Duration||8 hours online self-paced learning. Students can access the micro-credential for one year from enrolment.|
In this micro-credential we delve into the complex and challenging environmental issues that we face today, and how we can manage or even solve them. Environmental issues affect every human being, and are a truly global concern. The micro-credential gives an introduction not only to the current problems and threats to the environment but also to possible solutions and effective environmental management. You’ll start by learning about the nature of environmental science, resources, the basis of the world’s ecosystem, and the concept of the triple bottom line for sustainability.
With this strong foundational knowledge, you’ll be able to look at the other issues raised in the micro-credential. Not only will you understand them, but you’ll also see how to manage them and what solutions are possible. The term ‘wicked problems’ comes from the field of planning and policy. It refers to issues that are difficult or seemingly impossible to solve. For the rest of this micro-credential, you’ll be taking a close look at the wicked problems that sustainability and environmentalism are currently facing. You’ll unpack global climate change, generation of waste, fossil fuel consumption, and, perhaps most challenging of all, the impact of the human population explosion. You’ll also get to explore potential solutions, such as renewable energy sources, and how environmental impacts can be lessened with effective management.
This online micro-credential provides a non-creditable micro-credential and digital badge which can be shared to your social networks and displayed in your professional portfolio.
Our micro-credentials are aligned to the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals.
What is a Digital Badge?
Undertaking this micro-credential enables students to meet their Continuing Professional Development obligations and industry update requirements in their profession. Upon successful completion of the micro-credential, students will be awarded Continuing Professional Development (CPD) hours, a non-creditable micro-credential (Digital Badge) and a Certificate of Completion
Structure & Availability
8 hours online self-paced learning.
Students can access the micro-credential for one year from enrolment.
- Identify fundamental concepts in environmental science
- Investigate our earth's atmosphere and global climate change
- Explore the wicked problem of human demography and the ecological footprint we leave
- Compare types of waste and learn behavioural changes that can help to reduce your impact on the environment.
This micro-credential is designed for anyone interested in learning the basics of environmental science, including the issues facing the environment and what the human race can do to help.
How to apply
- Once you have selected your desired micro-credential, you can now add it to your shopping cart to enable you to purchase more than one "course" in a single transaction.
- Once you have added all the micro-credentials you wish to purchase, you will be directed to the payment gateway and will be asked to "authenticate" your account on our Learning Management System Be Different.
- If you are an existing CPD student, please use sign in options used to access CPD micro-credential courses in Be Different.
- If you a new student to CPD, please select option “Don’t have an account?” Sign up now and follow the prompts to create a new account.
- After successful authentication, you will be redirected to the CQUniversity secure payment gateway. Please add your payment details to complete the transaction.
- Following a successful payment, you will automatically be redirected to the course in the Learning Management System Be Different where you will find your selection of micro-credentials on your Dashboard.