Providing Healthcare for Clients with an Intellectual Disability - PDC57028
If you are interested in the complexities of providing access to quality healthcare for people with intellectual disabilities, this micro-credential is for you. The intellectual disability patient cohort is a diverse group with complex health care needs that often require input from multiple disciplines in order to tailor appropriate care. This course outlines why poorer outcomes may arise and provides guidance for nurses in improving the health outcomes for this vulnerable group. As a micro-credential, this course gives you a certificate of completion and a digital badge to display in your profile or share on social media.
2 hours online self-paced learning. Students can access the micro-credential for one year from enrolment.
Although people with intellectual disability (ID) have much in common with disability groups in terms of human rights, stigmatisation, social exclusion, and equitable health care, there are some important differences affecting access to quality healthcare. This ID patient cohort is a diverse group with complex health care needs that often require input from multiple disciplines in order to tailor appropriate care. However, because of their reduced cognitive ability in decision-making, problem-solving, reasoning, language, literacy, and communication, they experience poorer health outcomes. Health disorders are often left unrecognised, misdiagnosed or inadequately treated, resulting in high levels of co-morbidity, mortality and a lower life expectancy. Part of the problem is societal attitudes that devalue people with ID, which can be mirrored in the healthcare system. Nurses, who form the bulk of the healthcare workforce are well-positioned to improve health outcomes for this vulnerable population group, as strong advocates for their patients. This online micro-credential will explore a number of dimensions of intellectual disability nursing that will guide you in your practice.
This is a non-creditable micro-credential which is awarded a digital badge and Certificate of Completion which can be shared to your social networks and displayed in your professional portfolio.
Our micro-credentials are aligned to the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals.
Micro-CredentialDuration: 2 hours online self-paced learning.
Students can access the micro-credential for one year from enrolment.
- Recognise that healthcare for people with intellectual disability is complex due to the diversity of this population group
- Discuss the implications of indifference and negative attitudes by healthcare professionals on poorer health outcomes for people with ID
- Identify the barriers and enablers for people with intellectual disability when accessing healthcare
- Recognise the legal and ethical implications of caring for someone with an intellectual disability and the capacity for consent.
Digital Badge via Credly
Students can also download a Certificate of Completion, share to social media or add to a professional portfolio.
There are no specific entry requirements, however, students enrolling in this course should work in the healthcare profession.
Our micro-credentials are available for anyone to access. You do not have to be a CQUniversity student.
Undertaking this micro-credential enables students to meet their Continuing Professional Development obligations and industry update requirements in their profession. Upon successful completion of the course, students will be awarded Continuing Professional Development (CPD) hours, a non-creditable micro-credential (Digital Badge) and a Certificate of Completion.
- Once you have selected your desired micro-credential, you can now add it to your shopping cart to enable you to purchase more than one "course" in a single transaction.
- Once you have added all the micro-credentials you wish to purchase, you will be directed to the payment gateway and will be asked to "authenticate" your account on our Learning Management System Be Different.
- If you are an existing CPD student, please use sign in options used to access CPD micro-credential courses in Be Different.
- If you a new student to CPD, please select option “Don’t have an account?” Sign up now and follow the prompts to create a new account.
- After successful authentication, you will be redirected to the CQUniversity secure payment gateway. Please add your payment details to complete the transaction.
- Following a successful payment, you will automatically be redirected to the course in the Learning Management System Be Different where you will find your selection of micro-credentials on your Dashboard.