To participate in the Start TAFE Now program students must:
- have a sound achievement result in Year 10 Maths and English subjects or equivalent prior to enrolling in the program
- have achieved a minimum high achievement (B) in Year 10 English and a sound achievement (C) in Year 10 Maths if enrolling in a certificate IV or diploma course
- complete the online basic key skill builder (BKSB) pre-enrolment language and literacy (LLN) testing
- be a minimum of 15 years-of-age
- be in Year 10*, 11, 12
- provide a copy of your birth certificate at enrolment
- provide a copy of all previously completed certificate qualifications
- remain enrolled in and attend a Queensland school throughout the duration of the program
- identify the Start TAFE Now program in their Senior Education and Training (SET) plan.
Not all qualifications can be accessed if you are in Year 12, depending on the course duration.
* Applicants for Year 10 students may also be considered, who meet the eligibility requirements and would like to study a course under the Start TAFE Now program. In this instance, please contact email@example.com prior to completing and submitting an application.
There are four ways to undertake a Start TAFE Now course:
- Become a school-based apprentice or trainee. For more information on school-based apprenticeships or traineeships including how to apply, please visit training.qld.gov.au
- Study TAFE courses on campus with CQUniversity. If you choose to study on campus, you will be required to attend classes at your local CQUniversity campus, your school or designated site in your region. See each course listing to find out where on-campus study options are available.
- Study TAFE courses online with CQUniversity. For classes with 12 or more students, additional support in the form of face-to-face or video conference tutorials may be available. As part of your online studies, you will be able to access the teaching support you need from your nearest CQUniversity campus or at any of our study hubs. Please note with some online Start TAFE Now courses you may be still required to attend workshops at your local CQUniversity campus, study centre or designated site by video conference. You will receive more information about these workshops upon enrolment.
- Study a TAFE course via a partnership with your school. The school forms a partnership, sometimes entering into a third-party agreement with CQUniversity, enabling TAFE qualified high school teachers to deliver training to students at their respective schools. Specific information on partnered schools may be provided by your school VET Co-ordinator and CQUniversity representative or by making a specific enquiry via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.