Bachelor of Social Work (Honours) - CC48

Bachelor of Social Work (Honours) at CQUniversity is designed with flexibility in mind and is available to study by online study over fours year full-time or eight years part-time. Study a range of areas, including psychology, sociology and Indigenous studies, making you a well-rounded graduate.


Online, On Campus


OP:16 SR:66 ATAR:61.8


OP:16 SR:66 ATAR:61.8




4 years full-time, 8 years part-time


Bundaberg, Rockhampton, Online


Queensland: English (4, SA)


Queensland: Studies of Society, Information Technology Literacy

The Bachelor of Social Work (Honours) at CQUniversity offers you highly experienced teaching staff and excellent online resources, designed to guide and support you throughout the course.

Your learning is further supported by a three-day, on-campus residential school per term. This combination of face-to-face learning and regular online activities will equip you with advanced level of skills including critical reflection, self-directed research and learning, problem solving and teamwork.

At CQUniversity our education and training focuses on learning from contemporary social work scenarios and you will benefit from our established industry relationships, as well as our student exchange programs with several international universities, providing you with the opportunity to build professional networks.

The course incorporates two unpaid field education experiences, allowing you to gain valuable insights that may further increase your employability.

The compulsory fourth year of the course is the honours year, and will prepare you should you wish to contribute to societal change through a professional career in social work research. The Bachelor of Social Work (Honours) at CQUniversity offers you highly experienced teaching staff and excellent online resources, designed to guide and support you throughout the course.

Core Units 28 Major Units None
Electives None Minor Units None

You are required to complete a total of 28 core units.


For information on the units, you could study as part of this course, visit the Handbook and select the "Course Structure" tab.


If you have already completed study relevant to the course you have enrolled in, you may be eligible for credit transfer.

Unit NameCodeDescription
Fieldwork Education 1SOWK13009
Fieldwork Education 2SOWK14009
Compulsory Residential SchoolStudents are required to attend a minimum of 20 days residential school attendance throughout the course. There are compulsory three and five day residential schools attached to the following units in line with AASW accreditation requirements: 1st year residential program: SOWK11014 Contemporary Human Services (3 days) SOWK 11015 Professional Communication in Human Services (3 days) 2nd year residential program: SOWK 12009 Casework & Case Management (3 days) SOWK 12011 Social Group Work & Family Work (3 days) 3rd year residential program: SOWK 13010 Integrating Theory & Practice 1 (5 days) SOWK 13011 Community Practice ( 3 days) 4th year residential program: SOWK 14005 Advanced Professional Communication Skills (3 days) SOWK 14010 Integrating Theory & Practice 2 (3 days)

On-Campus Availability

Term 2 - 2019Bundaberg, Rockhampton

Online Availability

Term 2 - 2019Available Online

Term dates for 2019
Term 1: 11 March to 7 June
Term 2: 15 July to 11 October
Term 3: 11 November to 14 February 2020

A rank threshold is the minimum competitive rank that applications will be considered for entry to this course. The rank cut-off score is the competitive entry score that was needed to gain entry to this course in Term 1 2019. There is an unadjusted score before any bonus is applied and an adjusted score if bonus points were applied. Entry to courses is competitive and the cut-off score will vary from year to year and is provided as a historical guide of past performance.
Rank Threshold OP 16 | SR 66 | ATAR 61.8
Rank Cut-Off - unadjusted OP 16 | SR 66 | ATAR 61.8
Rank Cut-Off - adjusted OP 16 | SR 66 | ATAR 61.8
  • P – English (4, SA) or equivalent
  • R - Applicants be eligible for a Blue Card (Working with Children Check) and satisfactory national police clearance check in order to undertake SOWK13009 and SOWK14009 Field Education placements in years 3 and 4 of the course.

English Language Proficiency requirements:

If you were not born in Australia, Canada, New Zealand, United Kingdom, Ireland, South Africa or United States of America you are required to meet the English Language Proficiency requirements set by the University.

Applicants are required to provide evidence of completion of:

    · a secondary qualification (Year 11 and 12, or equivalent), or

    · tertiary diploma level qualification, or

    · bachelor level qualification study for a period of at least 2 years fulltime with a minimum overall GPA 4.0

completed within Australia, Canada, New Zealand, United Kingdom, South Africa, Ireland, or United States of America, which will meet the English proficiency.

If you do not satisfy any of the above you will need to undertake an English language proficiency test and achieve the following scores as below.

    · An International English Language Testing System (IELTS Academic) overall band score of at least 6.0 overall with a minimum 5.5 in each subset; or

    · Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) - Requires 550 or better overall & minimum TWE score of 4.5 (Paper Based Test), or 75 or better overall and no score less than 17 (Internet Based Test); or

    · Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic) - Requires an overall score of 54 with no sub-score less than 46; or

    · An Occupational English Test with Grades A or B only in each of the four components.

English test results remain valid for no more than two years between final examination date and the date of commencement of study, and must appear on a single result certificate.

You must maintain recency of professional knowledge and skills throughout the course. In order to meet this criterion you must complete your course of study within 9 years from the date of first enrollment in the course.

If you cannot complete the course within 9 years you must apply in writing to the Head of Course for additional time. Only exceptional circumstances will be considered. Relevant documentary evidence will be required to approve the extension of enrollment beyond eight years. All students irrespective of special circumstances must complete the qualification within 10 years as per University policy.

Security Requirements

No information available at this time.

Health Requirements

No information available at this time.

Assumed Knowledge

Studies of Society

Information technology literacy

Bachelor of Social Work (Honours) will prepare you for numerous career paths including professional practice with individuals, groups, families, organisations, neighbourhoods and communities. The majority of social work qualifications in Australia are generic, meaning they prepare graduates to enter numerous sectors in the human services field including:

  • child protection
  • health
  • probation and corrections
  • aged care
  • mental health
  • high school service
  • family relationships
  • community corrections.

If you do not wish to enter into direct practice with client groups you may consider a career in areas such as:

  • project management
  • policy analysis and practice
  • community development.

This course is accredited by the Australian Association of Social Workers (AASW).

All discipline plans of this course are accredited by the Australian Association of Social Workers (AASW).
Fee Category Commonwealth Supported Place
What is a Commonwealth Supported Place? A Commonwealth Supported Place is subsidised by the Government so that you are only required to pay a Student Contribution amount rather than tuition fees.
Am I eligible for a Commonwealth Supported Place? You are eligible to be Commonwealth supported if you are:
  • an Australian citizen who will undertake in Australia at least one unit of study that contributes to the requirements of your course; or
  • a New Zealand citizen who will be resident in Australia for the duration of your unit of study; or
  • the holder of a permanent visa, including a permanent humanitarian visa, who will be resident in Australia for the duration of your unit of study.

If you are not eligible for a Commonwealth Supported Place you will be required to pay tuition fees. Find out more about tuition fees or fees for international students.

Fee Type Student Contribution
What is a Student contribution? As a Commonwealth supported student, you will contribute towards the cost of your education by paying a Student Contribution. The Student Contribution is calculated for each term of enrolment based on the individual units you have enrolled in, not the course you are studying.
What is my Student Contribution?

Your Student Contribution fee is charged per unit of study and is dependent on the Student Contribution Band for each unit. Student Contribution Bands are categorised by study disciplines and help provide an estimate of course fees.

The majority of units within this course fall within Band 1. Some units may fall within Band 2 and/or 3.

Student Contribution amounts
for each band provide an estimate of the cost of your course. Your course may consist of units from more than one band so your fees could vary from the indicated amount as units are spread across a number of bands.

You can view fees specific to the course, and units, you are interested in studying by using our Cost Per Unit table.

HECS-HELP and payment options

HECS-HELP is the loan scheme provided the Australian Government to help eligible Commonwealth supported students pay their student contributions through a loan.

To be eligible for a HECS-HELP loan, in addition to being enrolled in a Commonwealth Supported Place, you must be:

  • an Australian citizen who will undertake, in Australia, at least one unit of your course of study, or
  • a New Zealand Special Category Visa holder who meets the long-term residency requirements and who will be resident in Australia for the duration of your unit(s) of study, or
  • a permanent humanitarian visa holder (visit for the list of humanitarian visa subclasses) who will be resident in Australia for the duration of your unit(s) of study.

Eligible students can use a HECS-HELP loan to pay for all or some of their Student Contribution amount. If you elect to use a HECS-HELP loan, this means that you will defer payment of your Student Contribution amount and repay your HECS-HELP loan when your income is above the compulsory repayment threshold (the 2018-2019 income year threshold is $51,957 or above).

If you are not eligible for a HECS-HELP loan, or you are required to pay your Student Contribution upfront, you will need to pay your fees no later than the census date for the term in which you are studying.

Other Fees You will also incur a Student Services and Amenities Fee.
Other study costs You may have other study costs such as travel expenses related to residential schools or work placements if they are a requirement of your course. There are also textbooks, stationery and other sundry costs associated with studying.

At CQUniversity, we believe University should be for everyone. No matter your situation, we know that everyone needs a helping hand from time to time and are proud to offer a wide range of scholarships and awards programs.
Our scholarships could help you pay for some or all of your course fees, or even contribute towards your living and study expenses.

QueenslandMKY: 831571; ROK: 811571; BDG: 811571; DST: 851575
VictoriaDST: 1700110371 
New South WalesDST: 160551

If you apply via a Tertiary Admissions Centre (TAC) listed under 'How to Apply', please use the relevant TAC code listed above to complete your application.

Between our reputation for learning, teaching and research, our renowned online education offering, and our status as Australia’s largest regional university, rest assured you will get a world-class education when you choose CQUniversity.


In just 25 years, CQUniversity has achieved some amazing feats and emerged as one of Australia’s truly great universities. We have been ranked among the best in the world for our teaching and learning, and are internationally recognised for our focus on Social Innovation. Our graduates are some of the most sought-after in Australia, due to our reputation for work integrated learning and industry-aligned courses, and experience some of the nation’s best graduate outcomes in terms of full-time employment and starting salary. CQUni is also regarded as the nation’s most inclusive and engaged university, with our award-winning academic and research staff making a real impact on the communities and industries we serve.


A pioneer in online study, CQUniversity has more than two decades of experience providing high quality online learning experiences across the country and even internationally. We work hard to deliver the latest techniques in online study, and have even planned our physical sites to provide more services to our widespread online study cohort.


CQUniversity is truly focused on our students’ needs, and that means responding to what, how and where they want to study. It is why we are now Australia’s largest regional university, with more than 20 metropolitan and regional locations across five states, delivering TAFE and university qualifications in on-campus, online and supported online modes to more than 30 000 students.


CQUniversity’s strong focus on student experience ensures that you are prepared and supported on your student journey. Support services include on-campus or online orientation to assist your transition into university life, course and career advice, financial support options, study support, ongoing assistance through the Student Mentor program, counselling services, support for students with disability or medical conditions, Indigenous student support and more.

Apply via a Tertiary Admissions Centre
The Tertiary Admissions Centre you apply via is dependent upon the state where you live.

State Tertiary Admissions Centre (TAC)
Queensland If you live in Queensland, apply via QTAC
New South Wales If you live in New South Wales, apply via UAC
Victoria If you live in Victoria, apply via VTAC
South Australia If you are applying to study at the Spencer University Hub, apply directly to CQUniversity
Western Australia If you live in Western Australia, apply via ApplyWA
Other If you live in a state not listed, apply via QTAC

Direct Applications
This course is also open for direct applications and you may be eligible to apply directly to CQUniversity using the Apply Now button below if you:

  • have completed or are completing a prescribed* CQUniversity course.
  • are applying for study with a CQUniversity Delivery Partner.
  • are applying for a change of course or readmission.

*A prescribed course includes our Skills for Tertiary Entrance Preparatory Studies (STEPS) program, Tertiary Entrance Program (TEP), Start Uni Now (SUN) initiative, or a CQUniversity certificate, diploma, advanced diploma, associate degree, bachelor degree, graduate certificate, graduate diploma, master or research higher degree.

Apply now