Thank you for choosing to audition for the Diploma of Music course at CQUniversity Australia. To make sure every applicant is set up for success and plays to the best of their ability during their audition we have prepared the following audition guidelines to help you prepare for your audition.
On-campus or online.
The Diploma of Music is available on campus at CQUniversity's Mackay and Cairns. It is also delivered online and supported through CQUni's Regional Conservatorium partnerships with Murray Conservatorium (Albury), Riverina Conservatorium (Wagga Wagga), Mitchell Conservatorium (Bathurst, Lachlan, Lithgow) and our Central Queensland Conservatorium of Music.
How to prepare for your audition
To prepare for your audition you should arrive 30 minutes before your scheduled audition time to ensure you are adequately warmed up.
You will also need to bring the following documents and extra copies for the audition panel:
- headshot photo
- curriculum vitae
- relevant certificates, licenses or diplomas (e.g. AMEB Grade certificates, RAD Dance certificates etc.)
- any evidence of community work or volunteer activities.
Ensure you place this information with copies in a folder for the audition panel to keep.
What we are looking for is:
- the potential for you to develop all aspects of music practice, both practical and theoretical
- your passion, commitment and suitability to a career in music and allied creative arts areas.
During the interview
During the interview, the panel will ask you how and why you wish to pursue a career in music and may also ask you questions based on your performance and any information from the documents you provided.
Instrumentalists (except drummers)
Instrumentalist will need to:
- perform two contrasting pieces in any style.
- each piece needs to be no longer than 5 minutes.
Drummers will need to perform three contrasting grooves, in various tempos (slow, medium and fast), that must include at least one rock, jazz and Latin related style.
- rock ballad
- heavy metal
- bossa nova
- performing one solo drum piece of your own choice.
Vocalists will need to:
- perform two contrasting songs in any style.
- each song needs to be no longer than 3 minutes.