Skills Boost, funded by the Queensland Government, is a new second chance TAFE training subsidy giving Central Queenslanders the chance to study in an industry where employers are looking for skilled workers. If you are considering gaining new skills to stay competitive and productive in the future, you may benefit from Skills Boost.
Skills Boost will provide a training subsidy for those who want to update their skills to go further in their current job or pursue a different career even if they already hold a vocational education and training (VET) qualification. People of all ages can benefit from the new training subsidy in key qualifications, instead of having to pay the full training fees themselves.
To be eligible for training:
- You must be aged 15 years or older.
- You must be no longer at school.
- Permanently reside in Queensland.
- You must be an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident (includes humanitarian entrant), temporary resident with the necessary visa and work permits on the pathway to permanent residency, or a New Zealand citizen. Please note: defence personnel, while they may hold evidence of residency, do not meet eligibility/intent of the funded programs.
- Not be enrolled in another certificate III or higher-level qualification or other subsidised programs at the same time.
- You will be eligible for a second chance only – not a third or fourth chance. Dual qualifications are considered to be two separate qualifications and therefore ineligible for second chance funding.
- A second chance does not apply to school students under VETiS.
- Students must pay a co-contribution fee where required under C3G or HLS policies, and in accordance with CQU fees policy.
- All other Certificate 3 Guarantee and Higher Level Skills policy arrangements apply
- Some courses may require the student to be an existing worker in the related industry.
Skills Boost commenced on the 1st of November 2019 with no set end date at this time.
High Priority Courses
The following list outlines all courses that may be subsidised.
- BSB30415 Certificate III in Business Administration
- CHC30113 – Certificate III in Early Childhood Education and Care
- CHC30213 – Certificate III in Education Support
- CHC32015 – Certificate III in Community Services
- CHC33015 – Certificate III in Individual Support
- CHC52015 Diploma of Community Services
- ICT30118 Certificate III in Information, Digital Media and Technology
- MSL30118 Certificate III in Laboratory Skills
- SHB30115 Certificate III in Beauty Services
- SIT30616 – Certificate III in Hospitality
If you have any questions, please call us on 13 27 86. You can also ask a question via eform.