Scholarships, Loans and Grants
Funding your CQUGlobal Outbound program is an important part of the decision making process as programs can become quite expensive. However, there is a range of funding opportunities available to you, to help make your overseas studies a reality.
The below scholarships are for students that are interested in completing one semester of exchange at one of our global partner institutions.
Japan - 3 x $5,000
Johannes Kepler University, Austria – 2 x $3,000 (approximate value – students receive a 550 Euro per month stipend)
University of Seoul, Korea - $7,000 (ISEP NCP exchange program)
Who is eligible for a semester scholarship?
- Students must be an Australian citizen or permanent resident.
- Undertaking either a bachelor or masters level degree.
- Must meet all the relevant criteria for undertaking an exchange.
For more information on our Exchange Programs.
Since January 2014, the Australian Government announced the New Colombo Plan (NCP), which offers scholarships and grants to encourage one term university exchanges and short-term experiences to the Indo Pacific region. The NCP has two main components:
- New Colombo Plan Mobility Program – to encourage one term and short-term study experiences.
- New Colombo Plan Scholarships Program – a prestigious program, with only 200 students selected nationally, to encourage longer study and work-related experiences of up to 17 months. Awards may be up to AUD $70,000.
A Student participating in a Mobility Program must:
- be an Australian citizen. Students cannot receive a Student Grant to undertake a Mobility Project in a Host Location in which they have dual citizenship or residency rights;
- be enrolled in an on-shore campus of an Australian University throughout the duration of the Mobility Project;
- be undertaking a Bachelor Degree (Level 7) or Bachelor Honours Degree (Level 8), as defined by the Australian Qualifications Framework at the commencement of their Mobility Project;
- be between 18 and 28 years of age at the commencement of their Mobility Project (some exceptions apply)
- not have already commenced a period of overseas study in the same Host Location as the Mobility Project; and
- not receive more than one short-term and one Semester grant (with or without an internship) during their Australian course of study.
Take advantage of this exciting opportunity and find out more about the scholarships and grants on offer through the New Colombo Plan. Each year CQU will announce the available short term programs that are available for funding. For more information on this program see our Short-Term Outbound Exchange page.
A few of our partners offer CQUniversity students scholarships. Please have a look at the websites of institutions you are interested in to find out more.
OS-HELP is a Commonwealth Government-funded loan scheme that assists eligible students to undertake some of their Australian course of study overseas. Students may receive one loan per six-month study period for one or two overseas study periods. Most Australian students wanting to take part in CQUGlobal Outbound programs that will receive credit recognition by CQUniversity are eligible to apply for an OS-Help loan.
Students studying can receive up to:
- $8,295 for study undertaken in Asia
- $6,913 for study undertaken elsewhere
- $1,104 supplementary amount for preparatory Asian language study
Information on applying for OS-Help loan is available here.
Full-time students who are going on an exchange may be eligible for Centrelink payments. Your CQUGlobal adviser can give you a letter that verifies your planned exchange term. You will need to take this letter to your local Centrelink office to have your eligibility assessed. Find your local Centrelink office (opens an external site).