Facilities and Equipment
Headquarted on the shores of the Gladstone marina, CMERC’s greatest research facilities – the unique ecosystems, industries and communities of the Queensland coast – is right on our doorstep.
It’s all about doing our research where it matters most.
Analysing the samples and information from these sources is conducted with world-class research infrastructure, including Queensland’s only seagrass nursery, as well as:
- A tidal mesocosm system at the Gladstone Marina Campus
- Indoor flow through/static mesocosms
- Recently upgraded ecotoxicology, microscopy and wet labs
- Water quality monitoring instruments including EXO2 sonde with deployable monitoring buoy, ProDSS sondes, light and temperature loggers
- Growth chambers
- Freeze driers
- TOV-2 Towed Video system
- Vehicles and vessels, including 4WDs and the 5.9m ‘Mudskipper’
- Baited Remote Underwater Video Stations
- Fishing gear (e.g. seine nets, gill nets and crab pots)
- Diving Pulse Amplitude Modulated Fluorometer
- Sediment samplers
- A Malvern Mastersizer 3000 laser diffraction particle size analyzer.
CQU’s state-of-the-art Central Queensland Innovation and Research Precinct (CQIRP) in Rockhampton houses dedicated laboratory spaces with:
- Liquid Chromotography Mass Spectrometry (LCMS) Triple Quad – for identifying new compounds and quantifying compounds at trace levels
- Gas Chromotography Mass Spectrometry (GCMS) – for identifying volatiles in food, beverages, soils and water matrices
- Inductively Coupled Plasma Mass Spectometry (ICPMS) – for identifying minerals at trace levels
- Fourier Transform Infrared Spectometry (FTIR) – for non-invasive and rapid chemical characterisations of macronutrients and bioactive compounds, particularly in food, and
- High Sensitive Potentiostat – for customised non-invasive field sampling as well as screening physiological samples for disease biomarkers and neurotransmitters.
As well as supporting CMERC’s coastal marine ecosystem research, the facilities are also supporting CQU’s teaching programs, ensuring the next generation are exposed to the latest innovation and cutting edge equipment to succeed in their careers.