Centre for Intelligent Systems
The Centre for Intelligent Systems (CIS) conducts outcome driven as well as theoretical research in the areas of complex intelligent systems. A particular focus is applied technologies relating to ICT and Engineering applications.
The Centre’s major research concentration is around the strong research clusters from Information and Computing Sciences and Engineering. The core research areas within CIS are:
- Computational Intelligence
- Simulation, Automation and Robotics
- Smart Networked Devices
- Clean Energy Technologies.
The Centre is currently involved in a number of different research projects, one of these is the Automatic System for Roadside Fire Risk Assessment. The aim of this project is to develop an automatic system that can analyse roadside video data and assess roadside fire risks. A number of novel computational intelligence and pattern recognition based techniques for identification of roadside objects from video frames and assessing fire risks are developed. Firstly, the segmentation and classification techniques to extract brown grass from roadside video frames are developed. Secondly, the techniques to calculate the coverage and length of grass are developed. Finally, fire risk assessment techniques to calculate biomass and to identify fire risks using grass coverage and grass length are developed. View more information on roadside video data collected using an automated vehicle.
Get Involved in our Research
CIS is committed to outcome driven research and its applied research is well connected to local industry such as Transport, Energy, Health and Mining.CIS is well recognised in its focused research areas and its strength is in the following areas.
Artificial/Computational Intelligence, Pattern Recognition and Data Mining, Image Processing, Computer Vision, Applied Maths.
Simulation, Automation & Robotics
Intelligent Modelling, Intelligent Robotics, Intelligent Sensing Decision Support, Mining and Medical Applications.
Smart Networked Devices
Smart Homes, Smart Grids, Intelligent Protection Systems, Network Automation.
Clean Energy Technologies
Intelligent Buildings, Alternate Fuel, Sustainable HVAC, Materials and Processes, Flow of Energy Modelling.
RESEARCH HIGHER DEGREE STUDENTS
CIS is proud to host and provide research higher degree training for postgraduate students. CIS has a number of research higher degree students based in Rockhampton, Brisbane and Sydney campuses. CIS provides excellent multidisciplinary research training environment.
Scholarships are called twice per year for the general CQUniversity merit rounds. In addition, projects are approved from time to time which allows stipend support for students to study on specific Centre relevant research problems. Further information is available on our Research Scholarships page.
Our research projects include:
- ARC DP - A Novel Automatic Neural Network Feature Extractor with Explanations and Non-Iterative Learning
- ARC DP - Deep Learning Architecture with Context Adaptive Features for Image Parsing
- ARC LP - An Automated System for the Analysis of Road Safety and Conditions
- ARC LP - Advanced Microgrids for Residential, Commercial and Industry Buildings
- CRC - Aus Std. Diesel from Mixed Plastics: Maximising Recovery from Waste
- Smart City - Smart Sensor System for Parks Water Management in Cairns
- Design and Development of an Advanced Multi-spectral Sorting System for the Macadamia Industry
- Greenhouse Heating, Cooling and Humidity Control with use of Solar Energy
- Waste to Hydrogen Energy: Conversion of Synthetic Gas Produced from Thermo-Chemical Conversion of Solid Waste into Hydrogen Energy
- Development of a Blockchain-based Secured and Trustworthy Integrated System for Smart Parking
- Developing a Blockchain Application for Replacing Traditional Paper-based Certificates and Recording Academic Credentials of Individuals
- Customise an Agriculture Data Analytic Platform for Applications in Dragon Fruit Industry
- A Neuro-Fuzzy Model to Select Suitable Feedstock for Biofuel Production
- Breaking the Curse of Small Sample Conditions in Machine Learning
Dashboard Design Prototype for a Homeless Management Information System
- ARC - Smart Information Processing for Roadside Fire Risk Assessment
- ARC - Improve Fault Detection in Electrical Distribution Networks to Avoid Catastrophic Bush Fires
- ARC - Networked and Coordinated Control Methods
- ARC - Framework for Optimised Ensemble Classifiers
- Advance Queensland - Battery and Microgrid Management Systems
- ARRB - Impact of Wide Centre Lines on the Pavement using Image Processing Techniques
The Centre for Intelligent Systems undertakes both basic and applied research, with a particular focus on collaborative partnerships to deliver real world solutions.
CIS partners include:
- Atlass Pty Ltd
- Elevare Energy
- Intendico Pty Ltd
- Queensland Health
- Queensland Transport and Main Roads
- Western Power
- CSIRO/Data 61
- Queensland Department of Transport and Main Roads
- Australian Road Research Board-ARRB Group Limited
- Northern Oil Refinery
- Stanwell Power Corporation
- Cairns Regional Council
- ecoJet Engineering
- Elexsys Group
- RMIT University
- Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand
- Nanyang Technological University, Singapore