Which Accommodation Option is right for you?
Choosing your accommodation is an important step in your transition to studying at CQUniversity Sydney Campus. After you have accepted your place in your course, you should begin by preparing a budget and identifying what type of accommodation will best suit your needs. Choosing the right type of housing can be challenging, and each option is worth investigating fully before signing a lease agreement or paying any money. Take time to explore all options!
Accommodation options include:
- Shared housing – if you are already have friends who are also studying in Australia, sharing a house or apartment may be an option.
- Private rental – You can rent a house, apartment or studio through a real estate agent or private landlord. There are also many student apartment complexes available in Brisbane for students.
- Homestay – Homestay accommodation aims to provide students with a family-like environment with utility costs included and the option of meals at an extra cost. This is often a good option if this is your first time living away from home.
- Student Hostels – Student hostels are a popular accommodation option because they often offer a social atmosphere through organised social activities for residents. Some hostels offer meals, others provide kitchen facilities for self-catering. Communal areas commonly include lounge, bathroom, kitchen and laundry facilities. Utilities such as gas and electricity are often included in the overall cost.
There are also many hotels, motels, youth hostels and backpacker accommodation where you may like to stay temporarily while looking for ongoing accommodation.
Each accommodation option offers different benefits and costs. Rental prices will vary depending on which suburb you want to live in, the condition of the property and rental option you choose.
Generally, the closer the property is to the centre of Sydney, the more expensive the rent.
Please consider the following questions/suggestions when choosing a place to live
Share accommodation is a less expensive alternative. In regards to share accommodation you usually move into an already established house. This often means living with people you don't know, which can be a little strange at first, but it is a great way to make new friends. Connection fees are already paid and the rest of the house is usually furnished.
When inquiring about shared households ask about things such as sharing of food and cooking, smoking, parties and noise, pets, small children, family and friends/partners.
In Sydney, rent tends to be more expensive the closer you are to the city centre. But you can expect to pay between AU$100 – AU$200 per week for a shared room in a house. See living costs for estimated annual costs.
Make sure there is an affordable form of heating for the cold winter months. Gas heating is generally the cheapest.
It is highly recommended that you sign the lease even when you are sharing with your friends. If you run into difficulty with rental accommodation, you have little protection without a lease.
Standard leases, condition reports and other tenancy information are available at Tenants Union of Victoria.
Where to live?
CQUniversity Sydney Campus is located at 400 Kent Street Sydney.
Below is a list of suburbs that are within 5 kilometres from the city centre of Sydney. From these suburbs below, the distance to campus is 0.5–5 kilometres. Suburbs are either within short walking distance or at most 15–20 minutes travel by tram. However, accommodation in these suburbs can be expensive, but most private hostels and student apartment complexes are located in these areas.
Cremorne Point (2090)
Darling Point (2027)
Double Bay (2028)
Bellevue Hill (2023)
Potts point (2011)
Neutral Bay (2089)
Millers point (2000)
Surry Hills (2010)
As well as those suburbs listed in the chart above, the suburbs below are located within 10 kilometres of the SydneyCampus. Travel time is approximately 15–30 minutes on public transport. There are very few private hostels or student apartment complexes located in these areas, however most other housing options are available.
Rose Bay (2029)
Bondi Junction (2022)
Lane Cove (2066)
Summer Hill (2130)
Crows Nest (2065)
Watsons Bay (2030)
Five Dock (2046)
Links to Accommodation Options
- Student Housing Australia (SHA)
Toll free (Australia only): 1300 742 000
- Furnished Property Group
Tel: 1300 659 251
Sydney Contact: 02 9338 5000
Student Accommodation is an endorsed provider of accommodation to CQUniversity students in Brisbane. You can book through www.urbanest.com.au or by calling 1800 260 801
- YMCA Student Accommodation
- Domain – offers up-to-date listings on real estate for sale and rent. www.domain.com.au/
- Realestate.com.au – one of Australia's most popular property websites. www.realestate.com.au/rent
- Gumtree – an online classifieds and community website that lists everything from rental properties, to jobs, and much more. www.gumtree.com.au
- Homesales – offers up-to-date listing on properties for sale and rent. www.homesales.com.au/home/rental-properties/
Other Useful Links:
The Tenants Union of Victoria aims to inform and educate tenants about their rights. They provide advice, assistance and advocacy for tenants of private and public residential properties, and residents of rooming houses in Victoria, Australia.