Start Uni Now (SUN)
SUN is a CQUniversity initiative that gives you the opportunity to study CQUniversity units while in senior high school. SUN allows you to enrol in a range of CQUniversity units (subjects) online, which you can combine with your regular high school work.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
If you are a high performing student who wants to take on the challenge of tertiary level study, then SUN could be for you! Some of the benefits of starting university early with SUN include:
- Sneak peek: With SUN you will get an insight into university life and will be better prepared for the transition from high school to university.
- Direct Entry: After successful completion of SUN, you may be eligible to apply for direct entry into an undergraduate degree at CQUniversity (excluding quota managed courses). To be eligible for direct entry, you must:
- pass at least one SUN unit from the undergraduate degree you are applying for
- meet all of the prerequisites of the undergraduate degree you are applying for.
- Affordable: International high school students have the opportunity to undertake their first SUN unit at zero cost (excluding textbooks and resource expenses). Subsequent SUN units are offered at a reduced fee which is less than a third of the cost that a regular university student would pay. As a SUN student, you could potentially save thousands of dollars.
- Credit Transfers*: If you enrol as a CQUniversity student after successful completion of senior high school, International Baccalaureate diploma or A Levels, you may be eligible to receive a credit transfer for each SUN unit you have passed. Provided these SUN units are part of your degree at the time of your undergraduate admission, a credit transfer would count towards your degree. This will reduce the number of units you need to study when you start university and may reduce the duration of your university course.
*Credit transfers toward courses at other universities should be discussed with the relevant university.
- Meet tertiary entry requirements^: SUN offers a range of units which may assist you in satisfying tertiary entry pre-requisites for science and maths related subjects.
^Students intending to utilise SUN units in order to meet tertiary pre-requisites should discuss this with the SUN Team and/or the relevant university prior to enrolment.
While undertaking your first SUN unit you will not be liable for a unit fee. Subsequent units (up to an additional three units) are offered at a significantly discounted rate of AU$ 500 per unit.
In addition to the unit cost, there may be other expenses such as textbooks and resources. Fees must be paid upfront.
A wide range of CQUniversity units are available through SUN in the areas of:
- Accident Forensics
- Business and Accounting
- Digital Media
- Information Technology
- Music and Creative Arts
- Occupational Health and Safety
- Paramedic Science
- Technology and Digital Media
- Science and Environment
- Transport and Safety Sciences.
You can view a comprehensive list of units in the International Student SUN Guide.
SUN units can be studied entirely online, which means you can choose to study at your own pace, as long as you have access to a computer and the internet.
To be eligible to apply for SUN you must be:
- enrolled in Australian Curriculum Year 11 or 12 (or equivalent), UK A Level Curriculum, the International Baccalaureate, Polytechnic*, or other equivalent Senior High School* Curriculum
- achieving equivalent to an average B grade (or better) across all Australian school subjects as per your most recent report card**
- achieving an English level of IELTS 5.5 overall with no bands less than 5.5, or equivalent English. We will also accept IGCSE/GSCE Grade C in English Language and International Baccalaureate MYP Certificate Grade 4 in English.
Some courses have non-standard English language requirements. For more information, please visit our English Requirements page.
You will also require permission from your principal or school nominee and a parent or guardian.
*Delivered in English.
**GSCE minimum C grade in all subjects, International Baccalaureate Middle Years Program Grade 4 in all subjects. Other qualifications are assessed on a case by case basis.
For more information please refer to the 2020 SUN Guidelines.
It is recommended that you dedicate between 10–12 hours of study to each of your enrolled units per week (over a 12–14 week period). Studying SUN units requires good time management skills, the ability to work independently and a proactive attitude. University study is very flexible and this allows you to work your study time around other commitments such as a part-time job or sport.
Even though you will be studying online, you will still have access to the same resources and support services as on-campus CQUniversity students.
SUN Project Officer
A dedicated staff member who will assist you throughout your SUN study journey.
Academic Learning Centre (ALC)
You will have full access to the ALC – a ‘one-stop-shop’ for information, advice and resources related to academic writing, mathematics, science and computing requirements of study at CQUniversity.
Student Life and Wellbeing Centre
The Student Life and Wellbeing Centre provides you with both academic and personal counselling, as well as assistance with time management and study skills. If you have a disability or medical condition, you are encouraged to register with the Inclusion and Accessibility Service to review your support needs.