Mackay Regional Sports Precinct
CQUniversity is proud to contribute to the unique and exciting vision of transforming sport and recreation in the Mackay, Isaac and Whitsunday regions.
The proposed $72 million Mackay Regional Sports Precinct (stages 1A and 1B equating to $20 million worth) is soon to be under development at CQUniversity Mackay's Ooralea Campus. The project is jointly funded by Mackay Regional Council and the Federal Government through the Building our Future Fund, and CQUniversity has provided the use of 12 hectares of its land at Ooralea.
The precinct will provide a vibrant space with specialised sport and recreational facilities for schools, sporting clubs, community groups, organisations, businesses and the general public. It will assist in hosting national, state and local sporting competitions and will boost tourism, development and liveability in the region. It will encourage future growth and community development in Ooralea.
CQUniversity will use the facilities at the sporting precinct in conjunction with their popular Allied Health and Medical Science programs including Exercise and Sport Science, Physiotherapy, Podiatry, Health Promotion, Occupational Therapy, Chiropractic Science and Medical Imaging and Sonography.
The precinct will have the ability to attract, retain and assist with the training regimes of athletes who have previously had no other option than to move away to pursue sporting aspirations.
Stage 1 – current approved scope
- Aquatic Centre - 50 metre swimming pool, 25 metre swimming pool and learn-to-swim facilities.
- Athletics Track and Field - Tartan track and field facilities for a variety of organised athletics with athletics pavilion.
*Note: Future stages of the Masterplan have no funding commitment currently.
- Community Clinic - Open to the public and run in conjunction with CQUniversity Allied Health and Medical Science programs.
- Cafes, Sports Bar and Shops
- Gymnasium and Training Centre - Cardio, weights and classes.
- Indoor Sport and Recreation Centre - For sports including netball, basketball, soccer, futsal, volleyball, cricket, hockey and mixed martial arts.
- Rock-Climbing Facility - For emergency services training, team building and for the recreational needs of sporting clubs, schools and the public.
- Skating Rink/Events Hall - Available for corporate, community and public events, as well as CQUniversity Graduations.
- Southern Sports Field
- Additional Parking and Child Care Centre
The original Mackay Regional Sports Precinct plans were developed courtesy of generous support from our partners:
- Mackay Regional Council
- Dalrymple Bay Coal Terminal
- North Queensland Bulk Ports Corporation
- G&S Engineering Services
- Hastings Deering
If you would you like to find out more about supporting the Precinct development, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 1300 MACKAY (622 529).
From 2013, eight Olympian and Paralympian Ambassadors from the Mackay region teamed up to show their support for the Mackay Regional Sports Precinct.
Our Hercules Ambassadors are flying the flag in their respective sporting circles to promote the benefits of the Mackay Regional Sports Precinct to provide better facilities for students, sporting clubs and community members in Mackay, Isaac and the Whitsundays.
- GEOFF HUEGILL - Swimming
- LINDA MACKENZIE - Swimming
- TRACEY BELBIN - Hockey
- NICK FFROST - Swimming
- BEAU MENZIES - Soccer
- DAVID NICHOLAS - Cycling
- DENIS CONSTANTIN - Badminton
- ALAN DUFTY - Wheelchair racing
CQUniversity invites schools, sporting clubs, individuals and organisations to be a local ambassador as we work towards further development of the Mackay Regional Sports Precinct.