TAFE Centre of Excellence Benefits
Key benefits of the Central Queensland TAFE Centre of Excellence project include:
- the creation of more than 350 jobs in construction (100 direct) and more than 300 long-term jobs from expanded University operations, and staff and student expenditure in the region;
- a $40-50 million boost to the Rockhampton regional economy from construction;
- capitalising on strong growth in TAFE training and apprenticeship demand at CQUniversity;
- relocation and upgrade of plumbing, automotive, carpentry, construction, electrical and hospitality facilities, bringing all these elements up to contemporary training standards;
- new, specialised equipment, such as lathes, vehicle hoists, simulation and virtual control suites;
- the strategic alignment (and co-location) of specialist trades, technology, manufacturing and innovation initiatives in Rockhampton;
- co-location of ancillary support and administrative services, and increased teaching and learning support services; and
- reduced operating and maintenance costs.
Importantly, relocating CQUniversity’s Rockhampton TAFE operations will also free up significant land and infrastructure capacity in the city's health precinct.