CQU Creates 2020 Online Art Awards
CQUniversity announces the 7th annual CQU Creates 2020 Online Art Awards. The competition is open to 2D and 3D artists who are current or past students and staff of CQUniversity and its antecedents, including the former CQ TAFE, who are called upon to make online submissions for possible inclusion in the September 2020 online group exhibition. There is no entry fee.
Artists may address a theme or subject matter of their choice in 2020. The competition aims to celebrate and encourage diverse modes of expression representative of contemporary art practice. Provide us with your best work before the deadline.
Awards and Prizes
- CQU Creates 2020 Art Award – $500, non-acquisitive
- CQU Creates 2020 Indigenous Art Award – $500, non-acquisitive
- CQU Creates 2020 Current Student Award – $500, non-acquisitive
- CQU Creates 2020 Highly Commended Awards – $250, non-acquisitive (8 Awards).
CQU Creates 2020 Online Art Awards Opens: April, 2020
Deadline for receiving entries: July 17, 2020
Finalists for the Online Exhibition Emailed to Artists: July 31, 2020
Online Art Exhibition Opens & Winners Announced: September 04, 6 pm
Finalists and award-winning artists of the CQU Creates 2020 Online Art Awards will be promoted by CQUniversity in the following manner: The art exhibition will be featured on the University’s CQU Creates Page. The winning artists will receive national publicity in the form of a media release and CQUni News articles circulated to major news outlets, email and social media promotion.
Prepare your images before beginning the submission process. It is important that your artwork image is no larger than 1MB. Files should be 72dpi and not exceed 1MB. Larger images may have difficulty uploading and may crash your entry process. A high resolution, quality image suitable for reproduction online is required, please do not submit poor quality images that show the artwork frame or are skewed/crooked and not level. Do not use a flash camera. Images with digital markings or embedded with watermarks or large signatures will not be used. Here are two articles to help your photography: Tips on Photographing your Art the Right Way AND How Not to Submit Your Art to Art Competitions.
For more information contact:
Ms Sue Smith | Art Collection Manager | CQUniversity Rockhampton | E: email@example.com
1. The competition is open only to current and past students and staff of CQUniversity Australia and its antecedent institutions, including the CQ TAFE.
SELECTION AND JUDGING
2. Judging – an independent judge or judges will be appointed by CQUniversity at its sole discretion. The judge or judges will view all works and select winners and shortlist artworks for exhibition and touring.
All artists will be notified by email notifying them that their artwork was selected or not for the online exhibition by Friday 31 July. Judging decisions are final and binding.
3. Announcement of Winners - Awards will be announced at an Online Event at 6 pm on Friday 4 September. All entrants are invited to the event.
4. Date of Artwork - The artwork must have been created by the artist(s) during the twelve months prior to 17 July 2020.
5. Previous Exhibition - The artwork must not have been previously exhibited or shown publicly online in Australia.
6. Judging Criteria – The artwork will be judged using the following criteria:
Aesthetic quality and visual impact (design/ composition)
Conceptual interest/interpretation of theme
Skill in the application of materials/media/digital technology.
7. Copyrights - The artwork must be an original work created by the artist(s). The artist(s) must not reproduce any copyrighted material, trademarks or other proprietary information without obtaining the written consent of the owner of such proprietary rights.
8. Collaborative Efforts - The artwork may be a collaborative / group piece. All artists must be acknowledged and give consent for the artwork to be used. The artists must indicate one person as the primary contact and recipient of the prize in the event their work is nominated.
9. Subject matter – Open. Address a theme or subject of the artist’s own choice.
10. Media - Artworks may be executed in any 2D or 3D visual art medium.
11. One Entry - Each entrant is limited to one entry.
12. Sale of Artworks - All artworks must be for sale.
CQUniversity has the first right of refusal to purchase any artwork entered in the competition and may acquire artworks at its discretion.
Works purchased by CQUniversity will be for the retail price less 20% ― other purchasers pay the full price. CQUniversity will pass on other purchaser’s enquiries to artists and will not participate in such sales of art.
13. Licensing of Images – The artist retains the intellectual property of the artwork.
The artist agrees to CQUniversity reproducing an image of the artwork in the exhibition catalogue, on the CQUniversity website and in other advertising channels to promote the competition.
If CQUniversity purchases a work, the artist grants the University a non-exclusive worldwide license to publish, reproduce and communicate the artwork for non-commercial publications and purposes only.
DISCLAIMER, PRIVACY AND LEGAL ASPECTS
14. Disclaimer –
Where in the reasonable view of CQUniversity, an Artist is found to be:-
(1) misrepresenting themselves or his/her
artwork in any way; and/or
(2) involved in any conduct or activity
which, in the opinion of CQUniversity,
harms or may harm the reputation or
name of CQUniversity or its sponsors
or which offends public sensibility,
then CQUniversity reserves the right to disqualify them from the Awards and/or revoke the award(s) and associated prize money.
15.Personal Information - By completing the entry form, the artist(s) agrees to CQUniversity collecting, retaining, processing, or otherwise utilizing the artist’s personal information solely for the purposes of processing the artist’s entry to the Awards, the promotion and administration of the Awards and the creation of the Awards. The artist’s personal information will not be shared with third parties or for other purposes without the artist’s consent.
16. Applicable Laws – The laws of Queensland govern these Awards.
17. Limitation of Liability – To the full extent permitted by law (which does not affect the artist’s statutory rights), CQUniversity, its agents and employees will not, in any circumstances, be responsible or liable to compensate the artist(s) or accept any liability for:
(1) any incorrect or inaccurate information;
(2) any technical error that may occur in the course of the administration of these Awards;
(3) any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, loss or delay of any entry or otherwise in operation or transmission, technical malfunction, theft or destruction or unauthorized access to or alternation of the artwork or the running of the Awards;
(4) any injury, damages, expenses or loss whatsoever (whether direct or consequential) to the artist(s) or the artist’s property as a result of any person entering the Awards or accepting or using any award and associated prize money (“Prize”), including without limitation non-receipt or damage to any Prize except where it is caused by the negligence of CQUniversity and/or its agents and employees.
18. Severability – If any provision of these terms and conditions is held to be illegal, invalid, void or otherwise unenforceable, it will be severed from the remaining provisions, which will continue in full force and effect.
Please note by filling out the Online Entry Form, I/we declare that:
- I/We confirm that all details provided in this Entry Form are true and accurate.
- I/We have read and agree to the Terms and Conditions of the CQU Creates 2020 Online Art Awards.
- I am an eligible artist/We are eligible artists. The artwork is wholly comprised of my/our original and unaided work, completed in the 12 months prior to 17 July 2020.
- (All entries): I/We grant CQUniversity a non-exclusive right to reproduce my/our artwork in CQU Creates exhibition publications and for promotional and educational purposes.
- (All artworks acquired by CQUniversity): I/We grant CQUniversity a non-exclusive worldwide license to publish, reproduce and communicate my/our artwork for future non-commercial CQUniversity publications and purposes.